Display or lock up?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Display or lock up?

Post by 1988rrc »

Do you display your toys or do you vault them?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Display or lock up?

Post by Pitchy »

I remember a time long long ago where ya didn`t even have to lock your house when gone .
No more mine all get locked up, shame too because an open gun rack was really nice.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a couple ( well I guess 4 or 5 ) that stay out ,loaded and ready for action, but the rest are locked in safes. :wink:

Pitchey, I can remember when you could be up at elk camp and just leave your rifle laying on your sleeping bag and run to town for a beer. Not any more!! :x
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have a couple ( well I guess 4 or 5 ) that stay out ,loaded and ready for action, but the rest are locked in safes. :wink:

Pitchey, I can remember when you could be up at elk camp and just leave your rifle laying on your sleeping bag and run to town for a beer. Not any more!! :x
Yep , i`d like to think there are places left that ya still can and if there are i want to move there.
Correction, i leave my HD guns and some BP guns i made out.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Those places are long gone. There are people you could trust, but you can't trust all the people and the darn drug addicted are constantly looking for something to turn into their favorite high. Mine are locked up.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Except for what's on tap, they stay in the safe. Stupid laws out here make me responsible if a theif steals one and uses it to do harm. Go fiugre.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Does 3 Safes constitute an answer ? 1986 when I built My first Safe is when they started getting locked up. I took My GP100 camping with me last week and have yet to put it back in its box,it is still on My nightstand. I would Love to display some nice ones but these days U caint.
Perry
Jeepnik- I just saw Your post, that is one reason I lock Mine up "Liability" I'm just up river from Ya.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

pwl44m wrote:Does 3 Safes constitute an answer ? 1986 when I built My first Safe is when they started getting locked up. I took My GP100 camping with me last week and have yet to put it back in its box,it is still on My nightstand. I would Love to display some nice ones but these days U caint.
Perry
Jeepnik- I just saw Your post, that is one reason I lock Mine up "Liability" I'm just up river from Ya.
Just looked at a map. My little sis lived in Paradise until just recently. Been through your neck of the woods many times.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

what guns? :wink:

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have no choice in Merry old England, the law states that when not in use they must be locked away..
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

game keeper wrote:I have no choice in Merry old England, the law states that when not in use they must be locked away..
Likewise in Aust.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

game keeper wrote:I have no choice in Merry old England, the law states that when not in use they must be locked away..
Similar here.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'd like to keep a couple out, (of two safes) but limit it and actually lock up every morning. We're trying to adopt three of our grandchildren and expect random inspections any time. I've actually had one safe broken into. Suspect it was near kin who took a couple of 1911s and left a bunch of other stuff.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The only ones for display are the ones ready to be pointed at you should you enter the premisis uninvited! :twisted:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Mine are displayed. I enjoy admiring them and a fellow can't admire his guns if they are in a safe. I have other safeguards in place.

Here in Canada, if a gun is on display, it needs to have a lock on it so it can't be fired. I use cable locks wrapped around the wrist and through the lever. In this way, the cable lock is barely noticeable and does not spoil the display. Legal antiques, like the original Colt SAA in the first photo, do not require a lock, but must be displayed unloaded. You can see the cable locks in the first photo above. I removed the cable lock for the second photo, but it works the same. Here's a close up photo of how the cable lock works ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

A 45 stays out, usually on me. The rest are locked up in the safe.
NRA Life Member
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've got a couple of shooting/hunting-related ball caps.
And I sometimes wear a fancy NRA belt buckle. It's a
Montana Silversmith's engraved job that is not, at first
glance, an NRA buckle.

Other than that, I don't display anything gun-related, at
home, in the car, or most particularly, out-of-state.
Driving through Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, or
any large city with ANYTHING gun-related displayed is, IMHO,
just asking for trouble of one sort or another.

At home, most of it is locked up 24/7. :cry:
-Stretch
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Some are displayed, four fit in my wall rack and another eight or so in a glass case (even though it is locked, the plate glass breaks really, really easy). The rest are in a locked vault unless I am working on them...then they are in an open gun rack next to my bench.

Rarely lock up the house, just make sure my dogs are in the house before I go anywhere. Found out that by locking the house, the bad guys destroy stuff to get in and since we are out in the country the delay of locking does not inhibit them much. The dogs do though. I do lock the "gun room" door though when I leave the premises...it is an old bank vault door and the room is in the basement surrounded by cement walls (of course with sheetrock walls covering them).

What you can not see is the rack on the wall...above the couch.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Actually, both. My guns are displayed in my basement, however, it's a securely locked area. Not just normal door locks, I've 'armored' the room and all entrances and windows (walkout) so if you can get in, you could get in a safe too.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have no non-functioning guns, except the 6 or 7 in various stages of build. Even those are locked away when not being worked on. "Handy" for use is NOT the same as "display" in my dictionary.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I have the rifles locked up on the wall racks and the pistolas locked up in an old rolling tool cabinet. I grew up around farmers that had a loaded gun in every corner of every room in case of trouble. I can't do that in my house , I have young relatives coming and going all the time, Not too mention a few older ones that might have a sticky finger or two.( I also believe they know better then to steal from me). Well. it's better to be safe than sorry.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I keep a couple of $20.00 junker singleshot shotguns with firing pins removed out and prominently displayed in my spare bedroom gunshop. Everything else is firmly locked up in two safes. Except of course for two I keep out for "social interaction" if the necessity should arise. No children in the house.

Even here in Lander Wyoming we have tweakers now. Sad. :shock:
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

2 short weapons stay out in concealed places and the rest are locked up in 2 safes.I would love to have them out and they used to be out but not anymore.Things have gone down the tubes,bad actors and liability issues have messed up the the whole world.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Even though I live in a very low crime area, I lock them all up. Unless you just happen to wander into my (locked) reloading room you wouldn't even know that we own any guns.

My wife keeps a shotgun in the pantry near the kitchen for any stray 4 legged varmints that wander into places that they shouldn't be plus we each have a handgun "at the ready" on our respective sides of the bed. Not readily visible but accessible if needed.

My problem with displaying guns is that we live far enough out in the country that if we are not home and someone wants to get in, they will. We have two fences surrounding our house, inner and outer "perimeter" and a dog that will take your leg off if you enter the inner fence and he doesn't know you. But even the best watch dog won't stop someone determined to enter.

To me, best just kept locked up and out of sight.