Winchester mod. 1895 38-72 WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester mod. 1895 38-72 WCF

Post by Hombre »

Picked up this Winchester mod. 1895, caliber 38-72 WCF, serial nr 51417 a couple of days ago.
For me, this is very intersting because the only experience I have with the model 1895 is a Winchester made russian musket. Now I have to find brass. I should prefer to have brass with the correct caliber designation in the bottom but then I guess I have to use Bertram and they do not have a good reputation.
At least, not here in Sweden.

/Stefan
Sweden
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester mod. 1895 38-72 WCF

Post by Borregos »

That is a nice one. :D
I have no idea about brass though.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

You have a very nice rifle there. The .38-72 is a little difficult to load for, mainly because of the scarcity and high cost of brass. Bertram is the only choice right now, but I am told by the folks at Buffalo Arms Co. that Jamison will eventually be back in business and making some .38-72 brass, but when is not known.

I have been using the Bertram brass with no failures so far. I did have to thin the necks quite a bit to get a load that worked well in my rifle. Here is a link to previous threads that may be helpful to you:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=37307

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

As the 38-72 is nothing more than a 40-72 necked down and the 40-72 is identical to the .405, why can't a easily available .405 just be run through a 38-72 FLS, possibly with a little attention to detail, such as inside neck reaming?---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

nice :mrgreen:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Congratulations! To find a 38-72 in Sweden is a remarkable feat, and it so happens to be my favorite Model 1895 caliber. Buffalo Arms has a limited supply of Jamison brass right now, but they say they have 'low stock' (means they got some, but not many). See http://www.buffaloarms.com/38_72_Winche ... x?CAT=3837
This Jamison 38-72 brass is first class stuff and beats making your own hands down. Unfortunately, Buffalo Arms does not ship outside of the USA, so I'll leave it up to you as to how you get your hands on it. I can't help you as I'm in Canada. For a bullet, I ordered a custom gas check design from Accurate Molds and it is the cat's meow ..... very accurate. The 38-72 is a rare caliber and your rifle looks to be an honest, original. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

Here is a photo of one of my cartridges with a 275 grain cast bullet from an original 38-72 mold ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I think you can make it from 405. You will have to thin the rims and cut the diameter a bit, but it might work. I have a 38-72 Browning 1895. I think its a great cartridge and very underrated. I also rechambered a 38-55 NEF single shot, for the 38-72. Too bad the bore is .381" because I have a hard time getting boolits to shoot, but with some jacketed Hawk bullets, it will do just over an inch @ 100 yds @ 2400fps. That might be a bit hot for an 1895, but works well in the NEF.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

I really appreciate all the inputs in this topic. Thank you very much!
I will be back because I will have a lots of questions when it comes to the Winchester mod. 1895 in caliber 38-72 WCF and I believe this is one of the best places to get the answers.
Once again, thank you very much!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I spoke with a person at Buffalo Arms today to get an update on Jamison brass for the 38-72. He personally checked the box of 38-72 brass and confirmed what their computer says ..... they only have one, single brass casing of Jamison 38-72 brass. There is a rumor, however, that Jamison's financial difficulties are being worked on and they (or whoever is taking them over) may be starting up production again. If the rumor is true (and who knows) then we have no idea when this shortage will be met.

In the meantime, they have lots of Bertram brass as well as their own 38-72 brass made from reformed 444 Marlin brass. I have 19 of the reformed 444 brass and they are good stuff, except that you will probably have to thin the neck walls a bit, as they are thicker than original spec (being made from very robust 444 stock). I thinned mine by wrapping 400 grit sand paper around the neck and then turning the case. The other minor problem is that they still have the 444 headstamp.

Your other option is to get 38-72 brass from http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/ (their price list is an old one so prices may have changed.) They machine it and anneal the necks and properly headstamp it. Not cheap but judging from the 45-60 brass they made me, they do an excellent job. They machine the brass to original specs, so hopefully you would not have to thin the neck walls.

I would recommend slugging your bore before you do anything else. That will tell you how large a bullet you will need.

RCBS makes dies for the 38-72. I use them and they work just fine.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/