Longmire on A&E

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Longmire on A&E

Post by RIHMFIRE »

So far its pretty good.....kinda like Jesse Stone with Tom Selleck
except its out west...
They already screwed up in the gun department...
Ever hear of a henry yellowboy?

similar plot lines
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Longmire on A&E

Post by C. Cash »

Except for a commercial every 45 seconds, it's not bad. The 1866 Was supposedly called The Yellowboy, never heard the 1864 called that but some had the similar brass frames, so don't know.

The scene where he knows the Sharps won't go off because they fire the old black powder shells......pretty silly.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I didn't think it was very good. They tried to impress us with vintage gun talk that was mostly incorrect. The scene where Longmire consults the rifle geek that tells him the slug is from at least a 45-70, and therefore has to be from a old exotic rifle like a Sharps turned me off. And later Longmire proves a suspect's Sharps is not the murder weapon by chambering a round and dropping the hammer indoors because he knew that BP corrosion made it unfirable. At the end he fires one round from his 1894 Winchester into a fleeing Bronco and wounds the perpetrator.

Gun goofs aside, I was still underwhelmed.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Once again, they could pay any of us, in beer, to catch these things. The need to fire the consultants they have....who obviously know next to nothing.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thought it was pretty good.
It's based on a set of 8 novels written by a fella out of Ucross Wy. It's slated to run 10 weeks.
Because it was filmed last January they opted to film in in New Mexico instead of the Wy/Mt border country where it is sort of set.
Here's a link to the interview K2 radio did with the author of the novels.http://k2radio.com/craig-johnsons-longm ... ion-audio/
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I mostly enjoyed it, but the gun talk was rubbish to anyone here. Will snag another one on the DVR (great for skipping commercials) and check it out before I give a thumbs up or down.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Wife groaned when I heard the gun talk. Apparently I instinctively guffawed...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ain't no "County 24"/Abrasoka County neither...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:o Wel color me differnt, but I never worry to much about whether the guns and gun talk are correct in a come from hollyweird entertainment show.
But when it's a show about guns,,, well then it best be real close to correct. :mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yea, what they said! 'Sides everyone knows it's the "Henry GOLDENBOY"! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I didn't watch it; had to catch "Game of Thrones" :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Griff wrote: I didn't watch it; had to catch "Game of Thrones" :P :lol:
What? They have a TV show about taking a dump now??!! :shock:

:lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Some of the Native Americans refered to both the brass framed Henry and Winchester 66 as "yellow boy". Some whites also used that term refered to the brass framed leverguns. I have not heard that term in many years, but I have heard it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

olyinaz wrote:
Griff wrote: I didn't watch it; had to catch "Game of Thrones" :P :lol:
What? They have a TV show about taking a dump now??!! :shock:
:lol:
Oly
Yep, EVERTYHING you need to know about plumbing, but were afraid to ask! :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Charles wrote:Some of the Native Americans refered to both the brass framed Henry and Winchester 66 as "yellow boy". Some whites also used that term refered to the brass framed leverguns. I have not heard that term in many years, but I have heard it.
That's what I was thinking......that it may have carried over from the Henry's, even though we now only use it for the 1866.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Pretty good trick shot on a moving SUV. Shot it as it was going away and hit the driver in the front without damaging the vehicle. The 45-70 being an "antique" round and "horse killer" was funny. Guess I've been hunting with my "antique" 6 year old Marlin. :lol: Still, it was OK. I'll watch it again.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The 500 gr load of the 45-70 was intended to be able to take out a soldier or a horse at 800+yds. The 405 gr load they gave a maximum affective range to 600.
Hitting the driver of that suv on a quartering shot like that with a 30-30 wouldn't be much different that a running shot at that angle on a deer or such.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

They didn't even mention the availability of modern reproduction Sharps. It could have been shot from a Trapdoor Springfield, a Remington Rolling Block, even a 1886 Winchester or a 1895 Marlin. This show is made for the firearms ignorant. Not a very good first impression to me. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

REPRODUCTIONS.....like the ones made in BIG TIMBER MT, that everybody, not just gun guys in that neck of the woods knows about...naw couldn't have been one of those. AAARRRGGGHHHHH!
Thought it was pretty good otherwise.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Don McDowell wrote:The 500 gr load of the 45-70 was intended to be able to take out a soldier or a horse at 800+yds. The 405 gr load they gave a maximum affective range to 600.
Hitting the driver of that suv on a quartering shot like that with a 30-30 wouldn't be much different that a running shot at that angle on a deer or such.
I realize that it was possible to make the shot, but it wouldn't have hit him in front and would have at least had to punch through a window or car body. :?
In regards to a 45-70, I'm not a bullet expert but I read that it was a load developed for those longshots you describe and used on longe range shots on buffalo. Why is it now considered a brush round or short-medium range hunting round? I know it drops considerably but at what range would it still be effective on big game? Sorry to go off the OP, just got me wondering.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The commercial makes it look good...

:? :?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

jkbrea wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:The 500 gr load of the 45-70 was intended to be able to take out a soldier or a horse at 800+yds. The 405 gr load they gave a maximum affective range to 600.
I realize that it was possible to make the shot, but it wouldn't have hit him in front and would have at least had to punch through a window or car body. :?
In regards to a 45-70, I'm not a bullet expert but I read that it was a load developed for those longshots you describe and used on longe range shots on buffalo. Why is it now considered a brush round or short-medium range hunting round? I know it drops considerably but at what range would it still be effective on big game? Sorry to go off the OP, just got me wondering.
There are letters to the Sharps factory in the early 1870's that tell about shooting thru and killing 2 or more buffalo with the 405 gr bullet from a 44-77 at ranges exceeding 500 yds. Most folks that tend to dismiss the standard 405 gr load have precious little real world experience with it, and fewer still have any hands on experience with the 500 gr government bullet. Trajectory isn't a problem with those old rounds, if a person knows how to use the sights, winddrift will cause more trouble hitting center on a target.
As to the 30-30 in the tv show, what they depicted of the driver in that suv would of been an exit wound, and yes grab a 30-30 and a handfull of shells and head out to the nearest old dump and shoot into some car bodies, especially the paper thin things like that suburban is. You may be surprised at the results you'll see.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I just watched it this morning thanks to DVR technology. Enjoyed the heck out of it -- The technical goofs didnt bother me any -- the show had guns in it , but wasn't about guns.
I also groaned a bit at the minute or two of dialogue about a Sharps being an antique sniper rifle and exotic (Pedersoli, Armi Sport, Shiloh, C. Sharps ??) -- but i like stories about old worn out "has-beens" who rise to the occasion -- much like i like the JEsse Stone movies
----- Doug
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I've read and re-read all the novels about Sheriff Walt Longmire written by author Craig Johnson. I very much enjoyed them all, sort of a Jesse Stone with a western spin.

Thus, I also enjoyed the premier episode of the TV version, gun goofs aside, and I'll continue to watch faithfully each week.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Yeah , the gun goofs were pretty bad BUT only for us edumacated levergun folk...

It was entertaining and I like the characters. Scenery was nice, even if it was NM and not WY. It is a bit frustrating to know that as I would prefer to see Wyoming.

I have to admit, I am partial the show simply for the female lead - Katee Sackhoff

She played Starbuck in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series on Sci-Fi and I have to say that series was the BEST TV series I have ever seen! Not at all what I expected, but amazingly good.

She is MUCH prettier than the character on Longmire, but it is still her.... :)

Longmire (Victoria Moretti)
katee_longmire1.jpg
Katee Sackhoff
kateesackhoff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There's places here that you couldn't tell the difference between them and the film location.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

JohnB wrote:She is MUCH prettier than the character on Longmire, but it is still her.... :)

]
She looks pretty darn good either way

the Longmire pic just looks like it is "light makeup" and the other pic is done up a little heavier
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Streetstar wrote:I just watched it this morning thanks to DVR technology. Enjoyed the heck out of it -- The technical goofs didnt bother me any -- the show had guns in it , but wasn't about guns.
I also groaned a bit at the minute or two of dialogue about a Sharps being an antique sniper rifle and exotic (Pedersoli, Armi Sport, Shiloh, C. Sharps ??) -- but i like stories about old worn out "has-beens" who rise to the occasion -- much like i like the JEsse Stone movies
Yep, I'm starting to think it is about me... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

JohnB wrote:BUT only for us edumacated levergun folk...
BUT.......... the show is geared towards history buffs, old coots and "edumacated levergun folk" like us yet the errors were so, so bad that my kids would see thru them as BS. It would be like the History Channel doing a documentary about the Germans attack on Pearl Harbor or a show on the food channel mixing up beef and fish. The errors were that egregious. I can accept factual mishaps on any show and every show has them but for A&E to make ZERO effort to get gun info right when their target viewers are rednecks, cowboys, country folks and western movie buffs is just asinine. I'm wondering if they had anyone on staff that had ever shot a gun.

I'll watch a second episode but if they don't do better at getting info right (or just leave the backwards "try to impress folks in the know" info out) I don't know if I could stomach any more.

LK
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm still irritated about the County thing.

I don't know why I have issues with it... I don't mind the Literary License of making up a Country ("Berzerkistan") or a City/Town, but making up a County is like making up a new US State...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Just wasted about 20 minutes watching an episode. What a crock of horsepucky. Writers know absolutely NOTHING about firearms. Where do they get writers for this kind of nonsense?
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I understand the dislike of the mistakes about the 45/70, and I don't mean to flame things here, but some of you need to get over it. Most folks are not gun smart. I'll guarantee you I can show you two or three Sheriff's that fit the main character in my old home state. I also know folks who live in various Wyoming counties, including Park and/or Fremont County near the Absaroka Mountains and the Reservation, who would probably argue with you about the 45/70 since the ones they have were built more than a 100 years ago. They have no knowledge of the modern versions, and don't care. As far as it being a horse killer. . .well. . .it is more PC to say horse than buffalo.

As far as the shot with the 30/30, I have no doubt it could happen. We have all forgotten that the 30/30 has been used to kill every form of game in the lower 48 and probably Alaska and Canada. Shooting the guy in the SUV may have been lucky but certainly possible with the 30 WCF. Personally I have taken antelope, mule deer, elk and black bear with mine, several at weird angles, so I know it could take out an SUV. . . . :D

I like the show and will continue to watch. Even though it was not filmed in Wyoming, the scenery brings back many fond memories. If you ever spend any time in the smallest populated state, you will begin to understand the. . "I like it this way. . don't bother me with trivial facts attitude. . .". . :D :lol:

If you would like to read a similar story line, try Long Shadows in Victory by Gregory Bean. Lots of similarities. Don't know which came first, Bean or the author of Longmire.

p.s. The rifle shown in the story called the Henry Yellowboy appeared to me to be an 1866 Yellowboy. But to tell the truth I have forgotten if it had a forearm stock or not. Without forearm it would be a brass Henry and with a forearm an 1866, but you all knew that.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

I'm kind of surprized that no one mentioned how they made the gun dealer out to be a prositute pimping murderer. To me that is just too much of the far left mind set injected into this show. I won't watch it again.
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Nate Kiowa Jones wrote:I'm kind of surprized that no one mentioned how they made the gun dealer out to be a prositute pimping murderer. To me that is just too much of the far left mind set injected into this show. I won't watch it again.
your right!....my first reaction was that hes not from wyoming.....
and should be running a gas station in some city in the north east somewhere
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

RIHMFIRE wrote:
Nate Kiowa Jones wrote:I'm kind of surprized that no one mentioned how they made the gun dealer out to be a prositute pimping murderer. To me that is just too much of the far left mind set injected into this show. I won't watch it again.
your right!....my first reaction was that hes not from wyoming.....
and should be running a gas station in some city in the north east somewhere

+1. . . :lol: :lol: . . .most people in Wyoming are from somewhere else. . . .he sort of looked like a Kalifornia type to me.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ok, I finally watched it (the premiere episode)... and last night's also, (since it didn't interfere with "Game of Thrones"). I enjoyed it. Golly, it's ENTERTAINMENT. It ain't historical in any fashion. Are you guys saying the 1860 Henry couldn't be or never has been called a "Yellowboy"? Get real... SOMEONE before this has surely made that foopah! Are saying that a .45-70 wasn't ever used as a sniper round? You think that a murderin', whoremonger of a gun dealer is so far out of the realm of possibility that it offends?

I kinda thought that last night's episode was a bit more far-fetched that the premiere. But, then, I don't know even less about the Mennonites than I do about .45-70s or Yellowboys. And as for the exotic dancers; where in the world do they hide all these beautiful young girls when there aren't any camera crews around? Didn't make it any less entertaining. The acting is good, the scenary is great, and Katee gorgeous!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You ever get to hit some of the big guns shows around here, and sleeze bag pimping murder is probably pretty mild for some of the bums behind the tables.....
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

Don McDowell wrote:
You ever get to hit some of the big guns shows around here, and sleeze bag pimping murder is probably pretty mild for some of the bums behind the tables.....

So, maybe those anti-gun far left folks are right. Maybe we do need more regulations to control gun dealers. :? :cry:
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

IQ tests might be the first thing to do.
And yes I have seen some of those folks behind the tables that just about make a fella's skin crawl...And the way they present themselves and their wares is enough to keep some types of people on edge, so it's not really to hard to see where those lefties are coming from.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

So, who else is still watching?

I really like it. Longmire is a great character and the stories are good, if a bit predictable.

I really like his gunleather! Anyone have any ideas who makes it?
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hmm, well I guess I must be mostly in veg. mode by the time I plunk down in front of a T.V. with a magazine or my iPad in my lap because I just don't watch/look at shows that carefully. As such, I've enjoyed the two episodes I sat through. I like the character of the Sheriff in the show, and that's pretty much it - I'm not too much more deep than that.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I think if Longmire stays in the vain of the John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart,
Tom Sellect type western characters the show will do well.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I knew Rhimfire would be onto this one. I like it and can overlook the mistakes given the genre and otherwise good quality work.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's gotten better as the first season progressed also.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I'm hooked even with the "gun mistakes" One episode had an indian come up behind him and you could hear him pump a shotgun which was a double barrel shotgun. :? I really like the female deputy's attitude.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I am hooked too!
Now he is being accuse of going after his wifes killer....and ventilating him!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

One of the few series that I make it a point to watch.

Dave B
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jkbrea wrote:In regards to a 45-70, I'm not a bullet expert but I read that it was a load developed for those longshots you describe and used on longe range shots on buffalo. Why is it now considered a brush round or short-medium range hunting round? I know it drops considerably but at what range would it still be effective on big game?
I think 'back in them days', many hunters were more apt to, or even able to, sneak up close to their quarry, so used what we'd consider rainbow-trajectory, under-powered rounds for hunting (like .32-20 for whitetail deer). In addition, I suspect that if hunting more for survival/meat than for enjoyment/treat the worry about wounding vs. an instant kill would be less, so even 'way out there' where we'd want a 7mm Mag or .338 Lapua, they were content with the .45-70. Plus, to the extent that many spent far more time afield than we do, they were probably better able to correct for that trajectory and wind conditions than most of us are now.

I'm not all that sure our modern-day hunting fields are any less free of gut-shot and wounded game, though, because I think some dudes feel their flat-shooting mega-magnums endow them with shooting skills sufficient to take running game shots at 600 yards in a hurricane. I doubt any here are that cavalier (such is the nature of leverguns and those who shoot them), but I've seen the 'spray and pray' deer hunters who are like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well, I finally sat and watched the show the other night. If I was the sheriff the first thing I would do is fire that that smart aleck deputy for insubordination and just be done with it. How real can a show be with that kind of stuff going on? I might watch some of the next show, so what if they live in a made up county and don't know guns, it's filmed in New Mexico not Wyoming.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:[ I think some dudes feel their flat-shooting mega-magnums endow them with shooting skills sufficient to take running game shots at 600 yards in a hurricane. I doubt any here are that cavalier (such is the nature of leverguns and those who shoot them), but I've seen the 'spray and pray' deer hunters who are like that.
Oh - those guys burn me up ! At my lease there was an old buck limping around for a week with the lower part of his foreleg completely blown off because some idiot with a 7-Mag in another party thought he was Carlos HAthcock and tried a 600 yard shot. We finally caught up with the animal and were able to put him down and end his misery .
I believe if i had encountered the gentleman , there would have been problems --- i had some very real, very violent thoughts. Thankfully i did not catch him FTF . I cannot abide other people needlessly harming animals due to stupidity

Oh -- but back to Longmire ! -- man, this and MAn Caves are the only 2 shows my wife has been recording for me lately --- i'm sad the season is over already and am looking forward to the next round !
----- Doug
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

AJMD429 wrote:I think 'back in them days', many hunters were more apt to, or even able to, sneak up close to their quarry, so used what we'd consider rainbow-trajectory, under-powered rounds for hunting (like .32-20 for whitetail deer). In addition, I suspect that if hunting more for survival/meat than for enjoyment/treat the worry about wounding vs. an instant kill would be less, so even 'way out there' where we'd want a 7mm Mag or .338 Lapua, they were content with the .45-70.
They used guns that had less power and rainbow trajectories for 2 reasons. It's what was available and they didn't know any better. Not because they wouldn't of wanted more power and flatter trajectories. You'd have a hard time trying to convince anyone that they wouldn't of preferred a .30-06, .308, .243. etc if they could of got there hands on one. Let alone a magnum of some flavor. Also, not every one that shoots sleek little pointy nosed bullets is into excessive range hunting or is a slob. There's absolutly nothing wrong and you're just as much a hunter shooting something at 250 yards on up as someone shooting 100 yards on down. Your point of them taking better shots and not wanting to wound critters is a valid one though. Needing to drop that critter is much more important than wanting to drop that critter. Hunting was much more serious business back then.

As for the show I'm still watching it. They've done a better job of staying away from gun talk which helps considerably since the first episode (which they replayed a week or so ago and I couldn't watch it again due to their ignorance). Still need to work on the mental toughness part of many of the characters.