Pair of Central/South GA LEO Guns from the 70s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Pair of Central/South GA LEO Guns from the 70s

Post by redlevel42 »

The Model 19-3 (P&R) .357 was carried by a civilian guard at Warner Robins Air Force Base in the early/mid 70s, and on some other jobs the officer worked on. He died a few years back and his worthless crack-head son brought the gun in to my local shop a couple of years back. The stocks literally stank, and the gun had been mistreated. It isn't rusty, but it looked almost like a kid had been playing cowboys & Indians with it. It was fine mechanically, just some cosmetic issues. I doubt old Herman (the officer) fired it much except for qualifications. I snapped it up at less than $300 OTD.

The High Standard Riot Gun rode in various Sumter County patrol units over the years. (Plains, home of the despicable Jimmah Cah-tuh, is in Sumter Co. Americus is the County Seat) Eight or ten years back, the Sumter Co SO traded a bunch of riot guns to the same dealer. There were a couple of HS, three or four 870s, and a couple of S&W riot guns. The High Standards looked better and had a steel receiver, so I bought one for $150 OTD. I wish now I had bought the other one. As a related note, a few years back Americus suffered a devastating tornado. It destroyed the hospital and a bunch of homes and businesses. By dark, looters were beginning to gather and move into the area. The Sheriff, a former State Trooper I had known back in the day, sent out word that looting would not be tolerated, and that his deputies were ordered to shoot looters in the act. Any one who knows the Sheriff knew he meant what he said. The gangs very quickly dispersed.

Anyhow, I'm always on the lookout for a quality gun at a cheap price. Knowing something of the history of a gun means a good bit to me, also. I know the old adage about "buy the gun, not the story," but I feel like I got the guns at a bargain and the story as a bonus. Oh, the Flower Bed is just to demonstrate my kinder, gentler side.
Georgia On My Mind
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Pair of Central/South GA LEO Guns from the 70s

Post by walks with gun »

Nice combo, I think the High Standards were high quality guns, hardly ever see them up here. I always wanted a 19 when I was a kid, finally bought a 66 but like blued guns better, now my only D/A gun is my blued M29 mountain gun.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Interest story and nice find on the guns. You say the stock smells? Like rotted wood, because from the pictures it looks ok? Thanks for sharing.
Is Warner-Robbins AFB still in existence?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Last time I checked, yeah it is.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I regret passing up on a 7" or so S&W 29 that looked like it had been literally tumbled with some limestone gravel for a couple days. Would have cost alot to get polished and blued (beyond my home-smith skills), so if I'd gotten it, I'd have had to Parkerize it or CeroKote it, and just didn't want one of them that wasn't slick-finished and blued like Mr. Callahan's. Any other gun, maybe.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

The Smith I've been working on is almost exactly like that... A 19-5 with wood grips. Love it.

Thanks for the post.

Chad
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I love getting old guns with their stories. I have a couple of family guns with great stories that I'll never sell, and my kids will get the stories with the guns.

Your story brought back tons of memories. I spent just short of 3 1/2 years in Albany in the early 70's and spent my spare time racing motorcycles and roaming all over south and central Ga. Still have friends there and like to visit.

Post by redlevel42 »

Larkbill, did you ever make it up to Butler? About 75 miles north of Albany on US 19. That is my home town and the location of probably the biggest gun store in Georgia. I buy all my new guns and a lot of my used guns there. I got the two guns in the OP there.

Barrow Automotive is a NAPA auto parts dealer and a dealer and distributer for most of the big brand name guns.
Georgia On My Mind
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I'm sure I've been through there but don't remember it specifically. Used to race in Montezuma a couple times each winter so I was in the area.

Looks like a place I need to stop for sure next trip down there. I love small town gun shops.

Post by 765x53 »

walks with gun wrote:Nice combo, I think the High Standards were high quality guns, hardly ever see them up here. I always wanted a 19 when I was a kid, finally bought a 66 but like blued guns better, now my only D/A gun is my blued M29 mountain gun.
Most High Standard pumps were sold as the J.C. Higgens Model 20.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Kewl. Nice combo
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
1894c

Post by 1894c »

like the old High Standard LE Shotgun...just very partial to the genre...rack-point-click-bang... :)