Sambar with the 444 and a trout

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Sambar with the 444 and a trout

Post by Aussie Chris »

Went Sambar hunting to my usual spot a few days ago. Took a mate I work with that is in the process of getting his shooters licence and deer stalking game licence. Teaching him my limited knowledge of hdeer hunting. To top it off we did well, I shot a sambar hind with my 444 Marlin.

The deer was about 50 metres away in the bottom of a shaded gully, I could hear her moving about 5 mins beforehand and tried to stalk up to where I thought she was. Plenty of fresh tracks and sign were everywhere! When I saw her she shot off to the right, down the centre of the gully. By the time I pushed the safety off (gay push button that I shouldnt use) and put the rifle up, she was running away about 100m away. I quickly centred the Williams peep sight and pulled the trigger. I was sure I hit her and watched her keep running, losing sight of her in the thick scrub.

In the meantime I could hear another deer crashing away to my left, possibly a stag hanging around. I shouted to my mate who was about 100m behind me (with my old sambar gun Tikka T3 in 30.06) to have a quick look for the other unseen deer.

My mate couldnt find the other deer so we set about looking for mine. Went to where I shot her, plenty of fresh tracks everywhere but none clear to really follow, and no jolly blood anywhere! At this stage I am starting to think did I miss? I am not a bad shot but 100M open sights with the triple 4 started to make me think....

We put our gear in a clearing amongst the blackberries in the middle of the gully and I said 'we are not going anywhere until we find the deer'! Started to look around in really thick scrub aand after half an hour I found her lying about 30M from when I last saw her. Very little blood but a huge entry hole from the triple 4 that left some broken rib exposed, no exit hole. The bullet penetrated the left flank below the spine and judging from some bubbles in the blood I assume it hit her throught the lungs and other vitals. She also looked as though she broke her neck in the fall to where she lay. She was around 30m from where she was initailly hit with my 265gn Hornady interlock reloads.

Got plenty of good meat including both hind quaters, both front legs and the best, the back straps. Heres a couple of pics. And also a pic of the biggest trout ive ever caught, which I ate with mum and my brother the other night. Tasted delsih as did the sambar steaks I enjoyed last night with my housemate from this deer! Overall a great successful time with good mates :)

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sambar with the 444 and a trout

Post by 86er »

Very nice! I love Sambar. Good shooting and nice fish!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Good deal... :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

great story and pics. nice sambar and trout! times like that are really good, and good in the remembering years later too.

where are the trout down there? in the Snowy Mtns?
cable
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

you look like you're having fun.
Thanks for the story and photos.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice work there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Great "after action report"! :D

Thanks!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Very nice, well done :D
How big do the Sambar get??
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good shooting Chris, Its hard to beat those hornady interlocks they work just as good as the high $ bullets. danny
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice pics dude! (and great story :D )-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Nice! Never shot a sambar(never even seen one), then again never shot a trout either. :lol:

One of my brothers did take a steelhead with a 12 gauge slug once though.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent report :D

Nifty shooting too!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

well done Chris!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Never knew you Aussies had trout! Hmmm, learn something new every day. Nice fish too!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What time is supper??? :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Well done, Chris!

I knew that water swirls the opposite direction going down a drain down in your land, but I was totally unaware that the deers grow with their heads upside down.

The world is a curious place.

:wink: :P
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

What a great day!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent! Great job! How's work?
Old Law Dawg
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Thanks guys :)

hfcable, the trout get stocked up in a couple of big pondage areas and flow everywhere. I am suure there would be some in the Snowy Mountains. I have hunted deep in the alpine national park in an area called The Wonangatta (holy grail of sambar hunting) and have seen them in fresh water streams and rivers there.

Borregos from wikipedia: ''The appearance and the size of sambar vary widely across their range, which has led to considerable taxonomic confusion in the past; over forty different scientific synonyms have been used for the species. In general, they attain a height of 102 to 160 centimetres (40 to 63 in) at the shoulder and may weigh as much as 546 kg (1,200 lb), though more typically 150 to 320 kg (330 to 710 lb). Head and body length varies from 1.62 to 2.7 m (5.3 to 8.9 ft), with a 22 to 35 cm (8.7 to 14 in) tail.[2] Individuals belonging to western subspecies tend to be larger than those from the east.[3]''

Here are a couple of pics, my stag is the smaller 15'' one. Antlers can grow to above 30'', check out the massive body of the huge mature stag in the smaller pic! Now thats a trophy sambar!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Danny, gotta love the interlocks and you are exactly right! Where is your avatar pic gone?

Wolfdog, cant say ive ever shot a trout either haha!

Chuck, come round on sunday, cooking a venison roast at a mates while we enjoy watching Terminator 2 once again! ;)

Gday Kim, works going well mate, on leave at the moment 3 weeks off! Ill be getting my stripes on my shoulders soon! Hope the move is going well mate!

Chris
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! :D
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Wow great pix. sounds like there a great animal too
are they native to India? Got a old book this guy hunted saladang, sambar & tiger in India, good book
You guys got alot of big stuff they shipped in years ago dont ya?

ollogger
1894c

Post by 1894c »

86er wrote:Very nice! I love Sambar. Good shooting and nice fish!
+1 -- nice deer...deer hunting in May, now that's an idea whose time has come...only kidding... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wolfdog wrote:One of my brothers did take a steelhead with a 12 gauge slug once though.
Was it a quick and humane kill...? I hate to think it might have suffered...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Well done on the Sambar. For those not aware, a Sambar of any size don't come easy. They are very elusive, difficult to hunt and even when hit hard have a tendency to travel quite a distance.

Those big calibers just do it so much easier too.
vanilla_gorilla
Levergunner

Post by vanilla_gorilla »

Very interesting. I've never hunted sambar, but I hope to change that here in a few months. We have a local island in the Gulf of Mexico that is well-populated with them and I intend to hunt them soon. Have to use bow or muzzleloader for ours, though.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Sambar, in their native country (India), were the preferred prey species of Tigers and have well developed skills to avoid being taken by Tigers, let alone humans. This is what makes them such a great game species to hunt. Here they are even hunted by hound crews (legally) and deer still manage to avoid being taken. People that have taken both suggest that in tems of tenacity to live and ability to absorb massive amounts of bullet energy, they are often compared to African game. The problem with Sambar in our High Country is that you're often hunting in thick scrub, making them difficult to find once you've made a good shot.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Sorry bout the late reply.

Everything JFE has said is true.

They originally came from India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and even parts of Cambodia -I found this when I was over there a couple of years ago.

As JFE has said, their natural predator is the tiger. Due to this they are extremely skitish having an excellent sense of smell and also excellent hearing.

I have heard from many, including a few yank hunters that they are the hardest deer to hunt. Having only hunted Sambar, I cannot agree or disagree but all I know is it aint bloody easy getting one! I do not hunt with hounds, and do not agree with hunting with hounds for my own reasons. Walking them up, or stalking them is the way to do it in my book.

Do a bit of Sambar hunting JFE?

Chris
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I do try to get out after Sambar and occasionally get lucky. Sadly though, I haven't nailed one with levergun yet and is something I need to work on.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

As long as you get out there, it will happen soon enough!
What have you used to take sambar in the past? And what leveraction are you using now?
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Mostly I use a 375H&H. I have a few levers, but the ones I'd like to use on Sambar are Browning 71's in 348 or 45/90. I'm a little old school and don't like using scopes on levers and as you know, in dim light a scope works best.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

The old 375 nice choice. Yeah 45-90 cool!

And we don't put scopes on levers, just wrong....beside my 9422 that is ;)

I love my Williams and Lyman peep sights