gas mileage ...watch the video

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

gas mileage ...watch the video

Post by RIHMFIRE »

gas mileage ...
watch the video
this will tick you off
http://video.staged.com/localshops/vw_p ... _in_the_uk

the engine is made here and sold to other countrys due to the epa
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: gas mileage ...watch the video

Post by Old Ironsights »

And this is surprising in what way?
I had a 1967 Rambler American that got over 30mpg...

4 door.

NOT a VW Bug.

It. Is. A. Government. Driven. Scam.

Period.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The gentleman was a bit sparse in his supporting documentation, and a bit naive about and/or ignorant of the difference in volume between US and Imperial gallons and things like thermodynamics. In Europe they use Imperial gallons, not US gallons. 1 US gallon equals .83 Imperial gallons. So Imperial gallon mileage will always read a higher number.

There are only so many BTU's available from a given volume of fuel. Period.

Our 06 TDI, which our son has now, got 45mpg driving the Colorado mountains crossing two passes and making several steep grades both ways from Denver to our home at 9000ft elevation with 4 people and maintaining maximum speed or better on the grades. When my son returned from the Navy and drove it home from Georgia it got 55mpg and still does down in TX where he lives. Thats with a 6speed auto trans. In Imperial gal that is 66mpg. With the AC running full blast. Prior lighter models of TDI's with a manual trans are well known to get over 60mpg US.

Also I bet he was using the digital fuel mileage readout. I seriously doubt he hand calculated the mileage, and I really doubt he gps'd the speedometer. All speedometers read about 2mph faster than actual speed. And the digital fuel mileage readouts always lie and read about 3-5 mpg more than actual mileage, and it is constantly averaging, so when someone brags to me about their new car/trucks mileage, my first question is where are you getting the mileage from. In other words, if you have not verified your speedometer and hand calculated it over at least 3 tanks you are not getting your true mileage.

The truth is we do have more emissions requirements than Europe, but the actual mpg discrepancy is nowhere near what he is claiming.

The only small vehicle that is allowed to market a small diesel in the US right now is VW.

So yes, US VW diesels get a bit less mileage than European models, and yes we dont get all the diesel engines available in the rest of the world. Not having access to the higher mileage small diesel motors available in Fords etc in other countries is certainly worth being up in arms about, the rest of it is blown out of proportion by ignorance, rumor and opinion.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:...The only small vehicle that is allowed to market a small diesel in the US right now is VW.

So yes, US VW diesels get a bit less mileage than European models, and yes we dont get all the diesel engines available in the rest of the world. Not having access to the higher mileage small diesel motors available in Fords etc in other countries is certainly worth being up in arms about, the rest of it is blown out of proportion by ignorance, rumor and opinion.
Still, it's GOOBERMENT interference that is preventing the application of REAL (not the Intertubes "you can burn water" garbage) efficiency increases.

It's just like the stupid MBTE additives in "high emissions" areas.

Does adding MBTE reduce NO2 emissions per gallon of fuel? Yep.

But it also causes MORE GALLONS OF FUEL TO BE BURNED from decreased inefficiency - leading go higher NO2 levels...

Duh... :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I'm only halfway through this video and somewhat doubting his assertions or at least his interpretations...

The biggest, most glaring thing that jumps out at me is why is he talking miles per gallon anything, be it Europe or the UK? Neither country uses miles. They use kilometers, which just happens to be very roughly 2:1. Any kilometer is going to be roughly double the value of a mile, which sounds about right for 78 kilometers per gallon, liters, imperial gallon or whatever this guy thinks he's using.

Sorry, not buying the tin-foil hattery here.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

sore shoulder wrote:The only small vehicle that is allowed to market a small diesel in the US right now is VW.
I wish there were more small diesels around. I like mine. I have a six-speed automatic transmittion '06 VW Jetta TDI with almost 200,000 miles on it. Yesterday, my wife went to visit her mother, a 4-hour round trip. She averaged 48 miles/US gallon (that's actual fuel consumption, not the instrument readout which needs calibration right now .... it read 53.3 miles/US gallon). Sometimes, those government rules seem like they were drafted by a bunch of corrupt, whiskey-sodden, STD-ridden, coke-headed, half-wit baboons on the take.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Before we go too far, someone should also mention that diesel contains about 10% more BTU per gallon that gasoline due to it's slightly higher density. At least I think it's 10%. Maybe someone should look it up.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Kirk Wrote"Sometimes, those government rules seem like they were drafted by a bunch of corrupt, whiskey-sodden, STD-ridden, coke-headed, half-wit baboons on the take." :lol: .
Man it sure don't Pay to rile You up Kirk. Hooray!!!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If I were going to get upset about something it would be about the ethanol in the gas. They take away 10% of the gas but still charge 100% of the tax. And that for a fuel that doesn't allow my vehicle to run it's best.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I didn't watch the video. I don't need PO'd, it doesn't take a vid to tell me we could be getting better millage and I've already heard numerous reports of same model vehicles getting better millage across the pond. So it's nothing new here. What I've always found amazing is how the newer computer controlled vehicles get no better and sometimes worse millage than the old fashioned carbureted tanks we used to drive. Heck, we used to average 18mpg (highway) in an '82 Suburban. Today? Good luck. 1970's vintage Duster's with 318's..... 20 mpg wasn't out of the question. Heck, even my '71 Cutlass with a 455 used to get 15-16 driving around town.

Is it a scam? Of coarse it is but I'm not taking outrageous reports indicating the other way either. Truth is some place in the middle. While gasoline may have limited BTU's we know they could design engines to put it to better use.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If a full sized F250 or Dodge diesel can pull 20 mpg or a tad better, a Tacoma/Ranger/Dakota sized with a little 3 Litre turbo diesel should be able to do 30 or better...yeah: I'm upset :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BTW, since we are talking about diesels for the most part, the title should have been FUEL mileage. :lol:

Also, the F150 eco boost gas motor (supercharged V8) is reportedly getting mid 20's with plenty of HP.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

the part that makes me mad is the cafe' standards are a bunch of BS...
they know that the car mfr's can achieve almost 60 to 70 mpg in a small deisel....
but the guberment wont allow it because the taxes they collect
per a gallon of gas will be drastically reduced....
Last edited by RIHMFIRE on Wed May 09, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

GM a few years back was looking at putting a 4.5L (?) Duramax diesel in the 1500 half ton trucks. But that fell through. The thing that sucks about diesel is having to pay more than premium gas prices for it. Then with my truck, I get 16.2mpg (06 2500HD ECSB 6.6 Duramax/6 speed Allison)
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

[quote=".45colt"]Kirk Wrote"Sometimes, those government rules seem like they were drafted by a bunch of corrupt, whiskey-sodden, STD-ridden, coke-headed, half-wit baboons on the take." :lol: .

thats true....... but the rest of them are not that good.
cable
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Panzercat wrote:I'm only halfway through this video and somewhat doubting his assertions or at least his interpretations...

The biggest, most glaring thing that jumps out at me is why is he talking miles per gallon anything, be it Europe or the UK? Neither country uses miles. They use kilometers, which just happens to be very roughly 2:1. Any kilometer is going to be roughly double the value of a mile, which sounds about right for 78 kilometers per gallon, liters, imperial gallon or whatever this guy thinks he's using.

Sorry, not buying the tin-foil hattery here.
The UK is still talking miles per hour and miles per gallon but we buy our petrol and diesel by the litre.. :?
5 litres = about $11.50. :evil:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

CNG power is the way to go. Get ahead of the curve if you can. Once again government/EPA stands in the way of progress. I am switching over to CNG, but must use a pre 1974 vehicle to convert as to avoid smog test requirements here in california. Cng here is $1.85 per GGE. I typically burn less than 10 gallons of gasoline per week, so the coversion will pay for itself in less than 2 years. Fuel prices will keep rising, yet there is so much natural gas being produced we are shipping it overseas.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Rusty wrote:If I were going to get upset about something it would be about the ethanol in the gas. They take away 10% of the gas but still charge 100% of the tax. And that for a fuel that doesn't allow my vehicle to run it's best.
I'm still trying to figure out why we have ethanol in the first place. We add 10% to gas ... yet we get 10% less mpg. How is that saving us any oil?!? Not to mention all of the billions we give to corn growers for subsidies, the increase in food prices due to corn be diverted for other purposes, and the impact on maintenance for vehicles that were never designed for ethanol.

Can some explain why we have ethanol anyway??
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

alnitak wrote:
Rusty wrote:If I were going to get upset about something it would be about the ethanol in the gas. They take away 10% of the gas but still charge 100% of the tax. And that for a fuel that doesn't allow my vehicle to run it's best.
I'm still trying to figure out why we have ethanol in the first place. We add 10% to gas ... yet we get 10% less mpg. How is that saving us any oil?!? Not to mention all of the billions we give to corn growers for subsidies, the increase in food prices due to corn be diverted for other purposes, and the impact on maintenance for vehicles that were never designed for ethanol.

Can some explain why we have ethanol anyway??
Two reasons, IMO: Keeps the corn prices us, and the addition does reduce carbon emissions. I personally, from a position of ignorance, think that since you have less efficient use of it, you end up burning the same amount of petro fuel anyway.....I do know that an old trick at the emissions test is to put a heavy dose of IPA in a near empty tank, and then fill up right after the test to avoid long term problems.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Now just for talk about gas, alcohol, tractor fuel and water.
Dad worked with a threashing crew for several years and back then you counted pennies and true gasolene was expensive. low grade gas was full of lead to where it would foul the plugs. tractor fuel was so low burning point that you had to start on gas and warm the engine up before turning the distilate on... Which didn't really burn completely so one would drain the top of the oil off before you started every morning. and alcohol would boost the distilate but... wasn't everything.
And water? was to prevent precombustion.
The tractor on the threashing machine was cast iron piston 15-30 McCormik Deering tractor with 22-36 pistons and sleeves. It was started on gas then they would switch over to distilate which reduce HP some and when it got under heavy loads, he added the water and readjust the load mixture screw. At one farm they were running low on fuel and the fellow said he had 10 gallons of alcohol and dumped that into the tank and it just picked up the load and had flames coming out of the stack, so the operator adjusted the timing and load screw until it just purred. After that the tractor on every refueling would get distalate with 5 gallons of alcohol added. ... until gasolene prices came down enough where they quit fiddling with warm ups and water injection and distalits. ... and more power out of gasolene.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...