Firearm maintenance for unused guns.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Firearm maintenance for unused guns.

Post by J Miller »

Firearm maintenance, how often?

I have not fired a shot since April of last year. I have not fired some of my rifles in over 12 years.

I haven't even laid eyes on some of them for over a year.

I looked at my HD gun some weeks ago and it's got a big layer of dust and lint on it.

Ummm, you think I should clean 'em and oil 'em .... maybe?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Firearm maintenance for unused guns.

Post by marlinman93 »

I think a lot depends on the environment they're stored in. I've got guns I haven't fired in over ten years, but they look and function as well as those I've fired recently. My safes are in a room in my home where the environment is pretty well controlled, and humidity is low.
I simply clean and oil mine when I put them away, then wipe them down all over (wood and metal) with Old West Snake Oil.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote:I think a lot depends on the environment they're stored in. I've got guns I haven't fired in over ten years, but they look and function as well as those I've fired recently. My safes are in a room in my home where the environment is pretty well controlled, and humidity is low.
I simply clean and oil mine when I put them away, then wipe them down all over (wood and metal) with Old West Snake Oil.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

What he said, though if i know it'd be going in long storage i'd use more oil than usual.

I wipe all my guns down with Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth, it will cure any potential rust issues.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

There is a gun grease you can use if you know you need to pack something for long term storage to prevent rust, but you should completely remove it before firing.

I just bough a gun safe and plan to lag it to the wall in my basement. I plan to make sure I have some kind of dessicant in there to prevent condensation.

Definitely a wipe down of oil is called for for any weapong after cleaning.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Joe,

I live in Florida where sometimes the humidity will drop as low as 75%. Plus, I have a real fear of pulling out some favored beauty of mine and seeing rust. So I probably go overboard.

The guns that I store for long term I oil, pull an oil soaked Bore Snake into the bore (and leave it there) encase it in plastic and then a good rifle/pistol sock. I use Mobil One full synthetic oil.

I don't have any high-end weapons like some here do. But the ones I have are cherished by me.

Now, about your home defense weapon being dust covered . . . surely your and you wife's lives are worth more than that? I know that your personal situation isn't the best just now, but you're a good guy and we'd miss you here.

Cat
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I stored guns cleaned and lubed up with CLP, which I've used since the early 80's, in Minnesota for ten years with zero problems. Shoot, I think some of my guns might have gone close to twenty years without a glance and they were just fine when I got back into shooting a few years back.

The only "gotcha" as far as I'm concerned is to not use an oil that gasses off (evaporates in other words) and leaves your gun with no protection, and possibly with a nice layer of varnish.

I like LP today even better than CLP it gets rid of the cleaners and just focuses on lube and protection. I clean with Hoppes so I don't need the cleaners in CLP. Frankly, I've never heard a bad thing about using Mobil 1 on guns either.

For the home defense guns, one of those silicone cloths might be a good thing to simply dust her off with from time to time. Put the cloth in a zip lock baggie between uses.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Coupla times a year, the voices in my head tell me to stay home and clean the guns....I listen to them. .
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

J Miller wrote:Firearm maintenance, how often?
When ever I touch them...I wipe them down...and that is often
I have not fired a shot since April of last year. I have not fired some of my rifles in over 12 years.
:o :shock: I cant believe you have not handled some of your rifles in 12 years...holly cow!
I haven't even laid eyes on some of them for over a year.

I looked at my HD gun some weeks ago and it's got a big layer of dust and lint on it.
Mine is hidden...and Klean as a whistle....but I have not shot it in a year or so too!

Ummm, you think I should clean 'em and oil 'em .... maybe?
I usually clean my guns while watching a western..its fun to me..
All my guns are an investment, increased or have maintained their value.
except for my 22s they are like money in the banks...so I take care of them...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like Val, but where I differ is that I do a twice a year inspection because............I remember 30 years ago I "thought" I had wiped down a nice Model 71 and when I went to look at it some months down the road, there was a big blotch of rust on the receiver. It really gave me the heebie-jeebies. It did clean up.

So.......in addition to all people, I have learned not to trust myself also.

Like I said, an inspection, not a cleaning. Take 'em out by the wood and give her a look-see
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

In ideal conditions, three months is about as long as I'd go without spray/wipedown. When it's sticky, three weeks and I try to give it a spray and a wipedown. Ballistol won't harm the wood, and is advertised as being non toxic as well.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

them dang dust bunnies will cause all kinds of problems inside the bore if left alone for years. some of mine that i put away and dont intend to shoot get bore grease and some of mine have the bores plugged to keep dust accumulation out.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

good post...my CCW weapon never gets dusty...it's my always gun, therefore i always have it... :)