Holster for a Colt SAA?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Holster for a Colt SAA?

Post by rjohns94 »

Looking for a good holster for a 4 3/4 inch, SAA, 44 special with ivory single piece grips. Two options for this one. Cross draw or strong side. Will carry it in woods with heavy 44 specials from buffalo bore. What leather would you use for this? What type of retention would you use? Thong, strap, friction? I have used simply rugged a lot. Your thoughts for field carry?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Holster for a Colt SAA?

Post by Malamute »

I like right side in a Threepersons type holster. I like a strap with a snap for security. Worn slightly behind the 3:00 positon, you can forget you have it on, even after wearing it all day. I've tried various other ways, and keep comi ng back to this for all around use. In cross draw, I keep banging the gun into things when doing camp chores or just daily life, and it isnt as fast, at least for me. Not even close for speed.

I prefer the snap to be operable with my trigger finger with my hand on the gun in a shooting grip, but not many seems to come along with the snap in that position.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mike,

As you know I favor the Colt SAA. Wear one for both pedestrian and mounted shooting... Unlike those guys on the horse at Wal-Mart, I've been bucked off a time or two. And have yet to lose my sixgun when worn in a grand old fashioned strong side holster worn high on the hip. Mine doesn't even have a thong or strap. Mine's from JC Stewart Leather of Show Low, AZ. Very similar to this "Cheyenne" rig from El Paso Saddlery:

Coverage and amount of steel in direct contact with the leather is what gives this type of holster its great retention.

If you don't like the strong side, a x-draw is also very nice... can have every bit as much retention... and, I think a tad faster to un-limber the gun.

My JC Stewart rig:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Mike !!! Your taking a Colt with Ivory in the woods ? JK, I would too.
How bad is the punch from the stiff loads You say that you are going to use. My Colt 44spl flat hurts. I guess maybe I need to learn how to shoot a SA.
@ Griff , I Like Your rig, that holster must think a lot of that Colt to hang on soo tite.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Like Griff said, but mine does have a thong over the hammer.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now - never been bucked off - intended to get off all along but --- who can argue with that. Chuck 100yd makes some nice holsters.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I just received my new Mernickle ps6sa and it is very well made and fits my gun perfectly.
It can be worn strong side or crossdraw.
They said 5-6 weeks delivery but got it to me in 2-1/2 weeks.

This is the photo from their website.

http://mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6sar8.html

This will be worn concealed in the woods. Open carry is strongly discouraged here in Mass.

Jack
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

a fellow named Chance (aka Lever) made one for me a few years ago, fantastic work, here's my rig for my Ruger single action w/ 4-3/4" barrel, has a thong over the hammer to secure the pistol:
http://www.levergunleather.com/images/carlrig.jpg

Lever's website:
http://www.levergunleather.com/p_holster_rigs.htm

Cheers,

Carl
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I am partial to the 44-40 in my SAAs and prefer to carry them in a Duke rig from El Paso Saddlery. Just bought a new belt from them as the old one had shrunk. Guess I got it wet or something. Really like the soft ruff-out leather that helps to keep the belt in place. Top quality stuff.

My SASS rig was made by Tinsleep of Duncan Ok. Best quality. I use the thongs to keep from dropping a gun. Loaded one gets you a match DQ!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Wear a holster that rides high and fairly tight to your side, especially if your going to ride horse. Forget anything that allows the gun to flop around or ride up.
As far as a retainer i use a thong on most my SAA holsters but they can malfunction as ya seen in my last video. :oops:
The strap with snap is a good way as Malumute said and i`ve put them on several holsters.
Cross draw has never worked for me as it is always in the way and bending over is a issue depending on how big of gut ya have, like me.
About snaps, i do always worry about them coming unsnapped and loosing a gun, that won`t happen with a thong and most likely why they were so popular.
Walkswithgun showed me how to instal a thong where the one end is left loose in the hole.
You can adjust the tension easy and when ya take it off ya can pull that loose end down which will keep it out of the way when drawing, which i failed to do in that video.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like the Mernickle P6SA, the Simply Rugged Sourdough and the Tom Threepersons (mine are from El Paso Saddlery). I can't say that I like one more than the other but they are all different enough that I seem to wear them in different circumstances.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm a redneck. Most of the time I just slip 'em my waistband. If I do feel "highfalutin" I ALWAYS use a shoulder holster, either an El Paso Doc Holliday rig or an Uncle Mikes nylon job.

Nice pics Griff and O.S., well,......your somethin' with the "help" you have:D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I wore the Mernickle with my 4-5/8" Ruger New Vaquero for the first time today.
It was more comfortable than the Bianchi Lawman that I used before.
The Bianchi would poke the hammer spur into my side and move around on my belt.

I forgot that the gun was there after a few minutes.
I cut & hauled brush, rode in the car and went out for lunch in comfort.
The gun did not move in the holster at all.
It would be easy to add a thong if I needed one.
I might make one just in case.

Jack
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Having made hundreds of SA holsters, and used several different styles, both in town and for many strenuous years out in the tall-uncut, I always come back to - and recommend -holsters such as those illustrated by Griff and Old Savage.. They hold a revolver securely, if made for the model, and not for "one size fits all" convenience (usually "convenient" for the unskilled maker...)

I prefer to have the bottom of the triggerguard covered, and to have that feature aid in retention of the gun.. DO NOT condone snaps, straps, loops, tabs or thongs.. A properlt-fitted holster of that type does not need such add-ons or after-thoughts.. They tend to become nuisances and hinderences, more than helps.. For that reason (among others) I dislike the Threepersons design for horseback use, especially in the timbered mountains.. Tom's holster leaves the triggerguard completely exposed, which doesn't really help draw time, but leaves the guard vulnerable to all kinds of thing that want to snatch it from the holster.. IMNSHO,the Threepersons does not offer enough grip in the frame and cylinder to hold the gun in place without extra aid..

I prefer straight, strong-side carry, at a point jus behind the point of my hip. A cross-draw set up interferes too much with chores on the ground, such as packing, feeding, hauling items around camp or ranch. It the gun is moved far to the off side, then it becomes difficult to reach, especially when mounted..

Others may come up with rationalizations for different holsters and carry methods, but my opinions and reasoning come from more than 55 years of serious pistol packing..

YMMV...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I really like the one I got from http://levergunleather.com/ It's a crossdraw for 4 5/8" .45 Colt Blackhawk. I don't like a lot of decoration so went with a simple border stamping. But Lever, can do it as fancy as you want.

I don't care for cartridge loops, so the cartridge holder works very well for me.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I would recommend looking at:
http://www.cannonleather.com/

I went there at the recommendation of Boge Quinn (Gunblast.com). The holster on the right (on the splash page) is mine, but with a Bisley handled six-gun as displayed when it was photographed.

When you click on the holsters, you will see the Tom Threepersons holster with hammer thong offered for $65, and there are options. But you need to connect with Mr. Cannon and see what he can do. I was very happy with my purchase - a rather "clean" looking holster with my monogram "JdeF" inside a Sheriff's badge (one of my former occupations), and a seashell border, complete with leather hammer thong.

The holster that I purchased mounts on a standard leather belt, since I did not want a heavy buscadero rig. And you can custom order the cant, dye color, strap or thong - whatever you need. This particular holster provides a very easy draw, the outstanding feature of the Threepersons holster.

I ordered a black Bullhide dual tongue duty belt (http://www.bullhidebelts.com) to complete the setup, which is sturdy and wears quite well without being overly cumbersome. My Ruger is not all steel; if it were heavier, then I'd look at a wider belt.

You might want to check Cannon's site before you purchase. The proprietor is a friendly chap who is eager to please.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Buck Elliott wrote:Having made hundreds of SA holsters, and used several different styles, both in town and for many strenuous years out in the tall-uncut, I always come back to - and recommend -holsters such as those illustrated by Griff and Old Savage.. They hold a revolver securely, if made for the model, and not for "one size fits all" convenience (usually "convenient" for the unskilled maker...)

I prefer to have the bottom of the triggerguard covered, and to have that feature aid in retention of the gun.. DO NOT condone snaps, straps, loops, tabs or thongs.. A properlt-fitted holster of that type does not need such add-ons or after-thoughts.. They tend to become nuisances and hinderences, more than helps.. For that reason (among others) I dislike the Threepersons design for horseback use, especially in the timbered mountains.. Tom's holster leaves the triggerguard completely exposed, which doesn't really help draw time, but leaves the guard vulnerable to all kinds of thing that want to snatch it from the holster.. IMNSHO,the Threepersons does not offer enough grip in the frame and cylinder to hold the gun in place without extra aid..

I prefer straight, strong-side carry, at a point jus behind the point of my hip. A cross-draw set up interferes too much with chores on the ground, such as packing, feeding, hauling items around camp or ranch. It the gun is moved far to the off side, then it becomes difficult to reach, especially when mounted..

Others may come up with rationalizations for different holsters and carry methods, but my opinions and reasoning come from more than 55 years of serious pistol packing..

YMMV...
Well Buck, you must walk your horse everywhere, no way would i trust a holster without some kind of thong or something to hold it. I`ve ridden enough bucking horses and got thrown off a couple that would jar loose a shooter that just sits in a holster unrestrained.
I`m not doubting ya Buck or saying ya don`t know what your talking about and i`m sure you`ve been cowboying for a long time.
Your gun must fit aweful tight in that thar holster.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Since Pitchy mentioned the possibility of loosing one's handgun during lifes rough and tumble events, I'd like to add that in addtion to somes sort of restraint being built into a holster, a lanyard is always a good idea.

I never thought much about them until I picked up a 1917 S&W. I figured the lanyard ring would just be in the way. Well, after I dropped my H&R 999 and luckly retraced my steps and found it, I've started putting lanyard rings and lanyards on all of my handguns that are carried while doing outdoorsy type of stuff.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Well Buck In your behalf i went and looked through a book called guns of the American west and found a lot of authentic holsters that didn`t have thongs.
Myself i`ll stick with using one, heck i worry enough as it is don`t need to worry about loosin my shooter. :wink:
Come on Buck i`m worth a responce.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:oops: I'm agreeing with Buck. The key being "a properly fitted holster." The holster in my second picture fits VERY snugly to my sixgun. In fact, you have hold the holster to draw the gun without the holster riding up the belt. That ain't the best in a quick, self-defense scenario... but then keepin' your wits about you so's you don't get caught unawares is important also! :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Griff, i`m not disagreeing with Buck, i`m sure ya can fit the gun tight enough that it won`t fall out. Myself i don`t like to have to hold my holster with one hand and draw with the other. I didn`t hear anything about leg ties that would help.
Just don`t see the point in wearing the bluing off in such a rig when a thong or snap works great, unless of course the hammer catches the thong on the draw. :oops: :lol:
Last edited by Pitchy on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

:wink: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Pitchy wrote: :wink: :lol:
My family says I do that too, Pitchy - I laugh at my own jokes!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Well Gents.. I will say that I don't want a holster that requires two hands to operate.. Such a rig is a little too rententive for my taste, and could prove costly.. I like the gun to pop or glide out with a little tug, not a cable and a come-along...

As far as riding conditions, I've been in some pretty hairy, gnarly places.. All summer long, every summer, for years and years, I had to jingle the remuda, twice a day, from wherever they'd got to, back to camp..that is a job best done at a full gallop, or a dead run, depending on terrain. Much of the country south and east of Yellowstone is stood on edge (or on end) and is no cake-walk. Some of it would make the Snowy River guys hunt up some shade.. But at 30 mph +, you don't have much time to worry about it.. You're gonna get to the bottom, one way or another.. There's a big difference between riding, and bouncing around on a horse, hoping you don't fall off.. The better you can ride, the easier it is to keep your pistol..

As Pitchy kindly pointed out, almost NONE of the "Cheyenne" or "Pueblo" or "Miles City" style SA holsters of the late 19th Century had loops or thongs or tabs to hold the gun in place.. They weren't needed. The saddlers who designed and built those rigs understood things that have been lost in recent years, except to a relative, savvy few.. Some guys get lucky, some miss the whole point, and never know it..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I can agree with that Buck there`s a lot of things that i`ve learned from doing them and learning by mistakes that some people can`t grasp.
I was getting in a toot waiting for a reply which was brought on by a bunch of wild cats i`m dealing with with people that moved to the country from the city and think this is now the city.
I can`t shoot or trap them because they`er claiming that they are their pets, that and i`m surounded with people that own guns and claim to be Christians and support Obamy.
I`m not happy and Monday we are going to put the place on the market and move, maybe to SD by the foot hills.
Sorry about getting off on a rant.
Wasn`t arguing with ya Buck, i`m just the type that figures the best way to learn something is to bring it right out.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

jeepnik wrote:Since Pitchy mentioned the possibility of loosing one's handgun during lifes rough and tumble events, I'd like to add that in addtion to somes sort of restraint being built into a holster, a lanyard is always a good idea.

I never thought much about them until I picked up a 1917 S&W. I figured the lanyard ring would just be in the way. Well, after I dropped my H&R 999 and luckly retraced my steps and found it, I've started putting lanyard rings and lanyards on all of my handguns that are carried while doing outdoorsy type of stuff.
+1 although I've just had one done--a Montado--that's exactly what I had in mind--especially after having lost a DA .357 in rough country on an off-trail deer hunting trek. A bush must've just reached out and grabbed it. (Speaking of retention, word to the wise(r): no cheap velcro strap holsters) Twenty years later, I imagine it's still out there, and being SS maybe even recoverable! Also, my thought was the lanyard would be particularly useful while fishing (carried in rattler or bear country especially) or otherwise around water a lot where any manner of holster securement just doesn't feel, uh, secure. On a fishing trek last summer, in an area known for both of the above (snakes, bears), I certainly felt better having the lanyard despite an otherwise "secure" (snap'd) holster.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Well, folks,

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no range riding cowboy, and have only been on horseback for fun, a time or two. But I wore a gun rig for many years as a uniformed deputy, in the mountains while jostling over rough roads in a jeep (one or two search and rescues), in a patrol boat while balancing back and forth in a wake, and certainly in a car, running and jumping over fences, climbing on rooftops for night surveillances, and the like. Boy - I won't see those days again.

All of this was during the sixgun (revolver) days. And when my gun wasn't snapped or secured in some way, there were a couple or three very embarrassing incidents of an unidentified flying firearm. No doubt if I was roping a steer doing any of that extremely cool stuff, the problem would have been worse. So here is what we are looking at, I think:

Many of the early guns pictured in this thread have very long barrels, and tightly profiled holsters, which tend to keep them holstered better. But gunfighter length barrels - such as a 4 5/8" barrel - would likely produce different results; like the Ruger SA .45 Colt that I have.

It seems to me that if you have a gun with something less than an artillery length barrel that you want to produce quickly from the holster, it is only common sense to have something to secure it - when you are rolling on the floor with a drunk (done that), or jumping a fence after a burglar or cattle rustler (done the former), or wrangling a dogie (nope - thank you just the same). In fact, in one instance my gun DID start falling out while wrangling a drunk, because the incident at first looked like it required a firearm and the holster got unsnapped. That could have been fatal, and that was the last time I allowed my holster to be unsnapped.

Another thought - most cowboys were not shootists. They pulled their firearm to dispatch a sick cow or horse with a broken leg or to bring home some meat for dinner - right? So the speed of the draw was not a factor at all, as I see it, and if they wanted to use two hands and a foot to jerk iron, that was okay, too.

Exhibit "A" - see if you can find any 20th Century police agency that ever used any of these old cowboy style holsters without some type of safety retainer or strap. Even the old Berns Martin upside down "Lightning" shoulder holster had a strong spring clamp, and that idea followed into some upright belt holsters for the six-shooter.

As for me, I like the easy release of the gun and the safety of the thong when traveling or doing something that is a little more than sedentary shooting or hunting.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Buck Elliott wrote:Having made hundreds of SA holsters, and used several different styles, both in town and for many strenuous years out in the tall-uncut, I always come back to - and recommend -holsters such as those illustrated by Griff and Old Savage.. They hold a revolver securely, if made for the model, and not for "one size fits all" convenience (usually "convenient" for the unskilled maker...)

YMMV...
That's my general thinking too. Only my hunting holsters have some kind of retention aid.
But I wonder why nobody mentioned the El Paso "Patton" style holster.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/p-97-5-patton-holster.aspx
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

maybe the old joke about Harley's would be appropriate, Goes like this, Harley riders gotta have someone follow behind to pick up parts because they fall off.
Cowboys maybe have a guy bringing up the rear to pick up all the shooters that fall off. :wink: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Western style holsters look nice and I do use them for short strolls and around the yard but prefer a good pancake rig that can be worn cross-draw or strong side. Much more out of the way for working in the woods, fencing, fishing or just getting in and out of the truck. Also rides up high enough to stay out of the weather, if your wearing a vest or jacket.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

As many have said, there is no perfect holster for every occasion. I'm lucky and have different Single actions with different length barrels. So I just pick the Colt and holster rig that fits my need for the occasion. RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I really like my Simply Rugged Range Master holster I got last year for my Ruger BH. Like Buck stated it holds the revolver very secure yet it comes out with just a little tug when needed. I can go all day and barely even know I have the BH on my belt with this holster.

For whatever reason it has been discontinued and replaced with this model
http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/ ... parent=669
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I prefer the old style loop holsters too... and I did add a simple thong on mine. My holster is a production model... but a little time "wet fitting" it to the gun made a big difference in retention.

When we get open carry in OK...I will order a nice OWB for my 357 Italiancoltclone....

Discrete OC...just a grip playing "peek a boo" above the belt line.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun