Shot the Mossberg 464 Today - Promised Update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Shot the Mossberg 464 Today - Promised Update

Post by COSteve »

Took my boy and his friends out to Pawnee National Grasslands in NE Colorado today and along with a bunch of other rifles, we took the new Mossberg. I have to say that while the action is still a bit stiff with live ammo running through it, I'm pleased to report that it shot fine without any extraction or ejection issues. The trigger, while still heavy, was crisper than I would have guessed and from the bench on a rest, I was able to whack a clay pigeon with it at 175 yds (absolutely lucky shot).

The action is definitely not as smooth as my Rossi '92s but for a '94 type action it did OK. The trigger is still a heavy sucker but, hey, it's a thurdy-thurdy! I'll have to give it a 9 of 10 so far as I'm really pleased with it. I didn't have to touch the sights; they were set right on for me.

My son shot it too and we were both impressed with the recoil pad on it as it soaked up what little recoil the 30-30 produces and translated it a just a push. I'll know more about it's accuracy, however, I can tell you that the boys put out 4 cabbages at various distances from 40 to 140yds and I was able to dispatch them with 5 shots (one I flat shot high and it was my fault).

As I said before, I like the way it shoulders, like how the sights come up in line, and like their choice of stock sights. It's one of the few firearms I've ever owned that I find nothing to change, modify, stone, sand, or tweak. The action is coming around and just needs some more rounds through it. The stock sights are perfect as far as I'm concerned, and the overall rifle drew some interest from the under 27yrs set we met up to shoot with today.

I might not shoot this one as much as my 357 Rossis but it has earned a place in my stable of keepers and I'm actually quite happy with it. That said, I'll let you know down the road when I've got a thousand rds or so through it to see if it really is a trusted keeper or just a flash in the pan at this time.
Last edited by COSteve on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
1894c

Re: Shot the Mossberg 464 Today

Post by 1894c »

COSteve...nice report...i've always respected Mossberg's -- simple, inexpensive, and reliable. started duck-hunting with a Mossberg 20 gauge bolt-action shotgun with the changeable choke system, and moved on to their 500 series later on, good experiences with both offerings.

Glad to hear that your range time with the 464 was a good time...thank you... :)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

COSteve wrote: The trigger, while still heavy, was crisper than I would have guessed and from the bench on a rest, I was able to whack a clay pigeon with it at 175 yds (absolutely lucky shot).
It aint luck if you were aiming at it!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Mossburg has never been acused of making show peices, but they dang sure make things that work. I might go shoppin.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Finally handled one the other day.

Being on a gunstore rack, the action was stiff. It wasn't 'pretty' like an older Winchester or Marlin, but for a current production inexpensive piece, it looked ok.

As I'd use a .30-30 for a truck/hunting gun anyways, i look at it like munitions-grade armor back in the medieval and Renaissance period. It's not all that pretty and it's not custom fitted, but it works well enough to get the job done.

Didn't feel like paying $500 for it, so it stayed where it was, but if i found a good price on one, i'd contemplate it.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shot the Mossberg 464 Today - Promised Update

Post by COSteve »

As I said above, I would report back after I'd shot it some more. I've had time to put a few hundred rounds down range with it and so far I'm still impressed with this find. It cycles the 30-30 rounds without objection and I'm surprised at how well it shoots. You all are aware by now that I'm not a bullseye shooter and have never done well shooting at paper targets but you give me some pine cone size targets at random ranges from around 75 to 150 yards and I've always been death on them. This Mossberg is perfect for that task using the 150grn RN handloads I found it seems to like as I had no trouble popping them off with ease. Further, I set out some clay pigeons at 150 to 180 yards and could also bust them easily by just aiming at the top of them.

That's the way I measure a rifle's effectiveness, how it shoulders, points, and hits random targets and this Mossberg passed with flying colors. I found that I prefer it's heft and feel over the Marlin 336's I've tried when I shoulder it, especially the slim forearm as to me the Marlins feel a bit clunky. Nothing wrong with them, just a matter of personal preference as I like a slimmer stock than Marlin uses. The trigger has lightened up a bit and now feels decent. Yes, it's still a bit heavier than my tuned ones on my Rossis but heck, I did a trigger job on them to get that light. This Mossberg has worked out to be a very serviceable little carbine and for a knocking around, 'everyone should have a 30-30 levergun' rifle it's definitely a keeper.
Steve
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Steve I like your style of shooting, to heck with the paper, just give me something to shoot at

good report, your pix looks familar, was you ever in a movie?

ollogger
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks for the report.....Shooting at paper is so boring..(after you know the rig, anyway...got to know your limitations)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Good report Steve

Interesting about your shooting style, mine is similar. Walk the beaches and plink shells or starfish at various distances. My GS is golden at that job and surprises with consistency at the oddball ranges I shoot. The guns that shine at that kind of work are the keepers and are on top of the pile. 'course with the GS there's a fudge factor because the bullet is so BIG. :lol:

pine cones sound just right for targets.

Grizz
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice report and thankyou.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I was impressed with the last couple I saw. I would think the design is actually stronger than the 94 with that bridge across the top. Had a nice stock and nice checkering.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:I was impressed with the last couple I saw. I would think the design is actually stronger than the 94 with that bridge across the top. Had a nice stock and nice checkering.
I've always liked it and I wish they'd offer it in some more calibers as they said they would.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes,
.25-.35 so I can ream it to .25 Bullberry.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Guess I am a stick in the mud. A round bolt in a Winchester type lever, its the Right look with the wrong feeling. Glad it is accurate for you. Jus cant warm up to it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3leggedturtle wrote:Guess I am a stick in the mud. A round bolt in a Winchester type lever, its the Right look with the wrong feeling. Glad it is accurate for you. Jus cant warm up to it.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

ollogger wrote:...your pix looks familar, was you ever in a movie?
ollogger
Just in case you're serious, the picture is of actor, Stephen Root, playing Milton in the movie Office Space.
Steve
Treetop
Levergunner

Post by Treetop »

I've tried my best, NOT to like these "tactical" Mossbergs, but I just can't seem to dislike them as much as I hoped I would!

Thanks to COSteve's good reports on them, I may have to add one to the Treetop stable, someday soon. Keep up the Mossberg "range reports" COSteve! they are very interesting. I like a man who uses pine cones and heads of cabbage for random distance targets! Tt.
Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

NRA Life Member since 1980

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Looks like Mossberg has worked the bugs out of their design and manufacturing. I wonder if forum member OJ would be willing to give them a second look?

I've only seen one so far and it was an early one with the ugly light colored wood. I'll have to keep my eyes open for current ones.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***