Single-shot 22's?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Single-shot 22's?

Post by El Chivo »

I'm getting a little fed-up with jamming problems with my .22, so I was thinking about simplifying things and getting a single-shot.

What do you like, Handi's, Stevens, or others?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Single-shot 22's?

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would try and find an old marlin bolt action single shot.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

There are a lot of quality old single shots out there if you don't mind a ding or two. I let a good Winchester slip by ($60) a few months back because I had just gotten a Premier Single Shot (Mosberg Model B) exactly like the one my brothers and I learned to shoot on. Most people today don't seem to appreciate them. You just aren't shooting unless you have a tricked out semi that will eat up a brick an hour. A local shop has a Savage or Stevens bolt asking $100 and buy for less. I was thinking of picking it up and boring the rifleing out and trying to make up a screw in choke.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

buckeyeshooter wrote:I would try and find an old marlin bolt action single shot.
There was a beauty at Nagel's in San Antonio when my daughter and I were gun-shopping last fall. It had a steel Lyman target peep sight, and they were asking $150 for the rifle. If I could have swung it for me, I would have. My daughter opted for the new Henry H001, so that's what she got. Still, a great shooter, and no jamming problems.

I had my heart broken with an excellent condition Favorite on gunbroker two years ago. Listed as a .22, and I got it for $400
It proved to be a .25 rf, so I returned it and bought the only .22 Uberti low-wall remaining in Cimmaron inventory at the time.

Last edited by bdhold on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Yes, I do agree that there is nothing like a good single shot 22. A box of 22's last a whole lot longer when you shoot them one at a time. :D

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a Cimarron Low Wall single shot with set triggers that I bought for Long Range .22 caliber silhouette shooting. I really enjoy shooting it, but it cost me $1,000 new and I had to repair a loose fly in the lock when the gun quit shooting. Also the barrel sights were totally inadequate, so I installed a quality vernier tang and spirit level front sight, adding another $550 to the cost. That's a lot of money, but I do have a specialized use for this rifle, it's not just a plinker.

If you are looking for a plinker to have some fun with, the reproduction Stevens rifles I have seen look to be very good little rifles, but seem rather small for adult shooters. Best buy for the bucks is probably an older bolt action.

I'm curious as to what type rifle you are shooting that is giving you problems?

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

owie. The double set was OOS when I bought mine - in fact, there was one .22 - but the trigger has settled in to be very nice, and I'm happy with it.
The sight set I bought from Uberti store has doubled in price since I bought it, and I thought it was a great deal. http://uberti.benelliusa.com/windage-ad ... moor-sight
I also bought MVA inserts and had them make a spirit level clip for me, which they did for $70. Oh, and put a Marble's folder in place of the rear buckhorn.

I bought my low wall through Buffalo Arms, and saved over $200, shipping and FFR included. It came from Fredericksburg, TX, 80 miles from my house. I called both Cimmarron and their Fredericksburg retailer, and asked if they would sell for any discount, explaining the cost difference in Idaho, and I would drive over and pick it up. No, strictly retail. So my rifle made the 80-mile trip to my FFR with a short 3000 mile detour to Idaho.

What ammo are you shooting?
Last edited by bdhold on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

You really shouldn't have any jamming problems with any modern quality 22LR, bolt or auto, but if you just want a single shot the newer made Savage/Stevens Favorites are neat little guns.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

jdad, you ought to publish a calendar with pics of those rifles!

As for less expensive single shots; the Winchester 67, Stevens 15, and Remington 513 are single shot bolts that I have that are surprisingly good shooters. You should still be able to get any one of them in very good condition for under $150, if you look hard enough probably under $100.

The little Daisy 22LR with the black plastic stock that WalMart sold back in the late '80s is a pretty good shooter too, although sized for a child.

The other three that I mentioned were made in both full sized and youth stocks.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my dad has a Winchester 67 from his 5th birthday, and it is quite a shooter.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I forgot about the Remington 5"teen" series. These were some of the best built & accurate, single shot, bolt rifles, of their time.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

My single shot .22 LR isn't a classic, but still loads of fun and very accurate; G2 Contender with 23" heavy barrel. There's a "mentality" that goes along with shooting a single shot; slow doen and make every shot count. A bit more relaxing too...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

jdad,
I have one of those Remingtons, it is a 5 shot clip fed repeater.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Dad would give me a brick of Remington .22s for my little Stevens Favorite, send me down to the creek and I'd be gone all day.
I still have that little rifle. I get it out once and a while and think about how great those days were. It's missing a little of it's finish these days. :D

I've had several Martinis that were excellent shooters. Kept one of the large frame Martinis that was converted to
a match rifle by WW Greener. That sucker can shoot!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mine ain't pretty. It is a TC Contender .22 LR Match barrel with TC factory (i.e. Choate) synthetic stock and forearm. Shoots well, very well. I'm using it for metallic silhouette. Shot a 34 my second time out. It helps to know where to hold... :roll: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My single shot .22 is a Henry Mini Bolt... basically a Cricket type kids gun without the stupid Cricket interlock.

But it shoots well and is mighty handy... and gives me a gun to let the nieces/nephews shoot when they visit.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have my old Marlin/Glenfield 101, but the firing pin spring is weak now and there are a number of misfires.
I also have my Winchester lowall (miroku built) that just shoots fantastic and is a pure pleasure to shoot.
I bought my son one of the remakes of the Savage favorite when they first reintroduced those, back in the 70's but that thing is a constant break down. Shoots good when nothing is broke tho.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I've got a couple single shots. Winchester Model 67 that belonged to my dad and a BRNO ZKM 468 Garden Gun. Both shoot great and are very accurate. The BRNO is really light and is a killer on mice with CCI shotshells....I would look at the Pawn Shops. They many times have great deals. Also, garage sales for some reason will sometimes have older firearms...have fun....

rick
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

My favorite .22 LR single shot is my maternal grandfather's take down Winchester M1885 Winder Musket.

Next favorite would be the CPA-Stevens 44 1/2 heavy barreled Schuetzen with palm rest and hook butt plate. Difficult to shoot from the bench because of the stock design. But the Douglas air gauged barrel is amazing accurate even with the L. Cheapo Bulk high speed ammunition.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I have two Henry Acu bolts, one in .22 lr and the other is .22 mag.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Another good option - small frame Martini:

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

It's Martini Time! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have one of the new Steven Model 30 Favorites in take down configuration. It is no show pece but I like its easy carry and reasonable accuracy. The trigger improved with use but the hammer is really stiff to cock. My young girls can't cock it at all. Of course that ain't a problem yet, closer to a safety feature.

The fit is surprisingly large. The LOP fits me and I'm not a dainty lad. It is finished well for a cheap gun but a bit crude. Mine is very light. That sits its packing role but for a shooter some of the beauties above are something else. My dream is a BSA Martini just like the one you are looking at!

I recently bought a Handi in 22 Hornet. I looked hard at the rimfire versions, solid for a cheap gun and man sized as well.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'm gonna echo what JB said about .22's and feed problems........ Never seen wholesale issues in other than one or 2 models. But thats beside the point and YMMV.

One thing that has really suprized me here and that is that no one has brought up the Ithaca 49 lever actions. While I know nothing of their quality or accuarcy it's one of the very few single shots that has ever gotten my attention. Cheap to boot.

LK
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This thread is extremely dangerous to my budget!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Those little Ithaca's werent anything much other than a martini action with a hammer, lever and 36lb trigger pull...
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Don McDowell wrote:Those little Ithaca's werent anything much other than a martini action with a hammer, lever and 36lb trigger pull...
A friend of mine had one back in the '80s. It was a pretty good looking rifle but plinker accuracy, at best. I still vote for an older single shot bolt action; Winchester, Remington, or Stevens.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

My folks got my baby brother one in the late 60's, we'll just say the bit of envy ended the first time we shot that thing. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its probably more of an ammo issue than a gun issue. In playing with hundreds of .22 repeaters, very few rifles had issues and those that did could be traced to the mag.

I say get the gun you like and somewhere along the line, you will find the ammo that works.=-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

T/C .22 Hot Shot - under $200 new

Alloy frame, bbls do not interchange with any other T/C.

Available in black camo, & pink :oops:

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Me thinks that Pete may have a winner.

LK
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Pete44ru wrote:T/C .22 Hot Shot - under $200 new

Available in black camo, & pink :oops:

But is is a pink camo pattern :D

May be a little on the small side at 3 lbs with an LOP of 11.5"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:This thread is extremely dangerous to my budget!
That's no joke right there and as usual, jdad is leading the charge in style! :lol: And I had just talked myself into a buying moratorium and saving for the down payment on a mid-life crisis vehicle... :roll:
Pete44ru wrote:T/C .22 Hot Shot - under $200 new

I could get past the non-interchangeability IF it took regular T/C furniture....

OTOH, that Stevens Favorite set-up that FatJack has on the other thread is pretty nice as well...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

awp101,
A mid life crises vehicle?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

El Chivo wrote:I'm getting a little fed-up with jamming problems with my .22, so I was thinking about simplifying things and getting a single-shot.

What do you like, Handi's, Stevens, or others?

Get rid of that jamming gun and get a repeater that don't jam (what is jamming)
I have been shooting a lot of .22 rounds with the large looped Henry lever's (none jam) :wink:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-carbine.cfm
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Thanks, considering all, a Handi-Rifle is a good choice but I also noticed the Savage Rascal is available in lefty.
Rascal_LH.jpg
If I were to get a bolt I would really like to have it lefty. This Rascal is scopeable, has the Accutrigger (adjustable) and it's backpack light. Should be fine for the indoor range and handy to take on the bicycle or camping. Minute of chipmunk accuracy?

But then I saw this:
Savage 22 lefty.jpg
I love the profile. Looks like a super gun, bull barrel, lefty, stainless. It's not a single shot, but something that cool could never jam, right? Has the look of being scary accurate. 8 pounds with scope, it could be a great range gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by El Chivo on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My VARNER STEVENS AT THE BOTTOM GREAT LITTLE GUN