Our Traveling Jacks As Promised (Grizz)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Our Traveling Jacks As Promised (Grizz)

Post by GoatGuy »

Wrote about our Mammoth Jacks (donkeys, not mules) in rjohns94 "prepare" post.: "Spring tune-up of our Mammoth saddle jacks to make the trips into town for groceries and other miscellaneous needs. Now if we can just get our Standard jack trained to pack, I can take him along when I make the ride to/from the feed store. All kidding aside, what with the increasing price of diesel fuel, ...and other potential need for quiet, low profile and inexpensive transport, ...these three donkeys of ours just might come in real handy for us."

Now here are some photos of our transport animals of choice.

First up is my wife Tracey with the "boys" (her Jay Jay and my Rocky) the day last November we brought them to our farm. As you can see, they are pretty big boys and we had high hopes of putting some trail miles on them before winter set in.

Next up is our first trail ride wiith them on Thanksgiving day at the ranch of our good friend in northcentral, AR. She has around 900 acres of Ozark high pasture, hollers and woods with few interior fences, and it's a beautiful place to ride. She raises cattle, meat goats and, ...a few Alpacas as a sentimental reminder of how she was able to buy the ranch.:D

This photo is to reference my posted reply on page 3 of rjohns94's post "What are you guys doing to prepare for..." I mentioned the jacks are not spooky like most horses can be when the unexpected happens. One of Ann's female Alpacas took exception to us being in her pasture without permission. This crazy thing actually launched a serious attack on Tracey's mount Jay Jay. As you can see, the big boy handled himself with his usual calm demeanor and merely moved away from the attack, though keeping an eye on the odd beast. No kicking, rearing or running away. However, having seen these boys kick I can assure you he could have laid out the aggressor had he chosen to do so.

Thia last photo will give you a size perspective of the Mammoths vs. a Standard Jack. Rowdy is the standard and is quite a bit smaller than the newcomers to our farm. As mentioned in the other post, he's liable to become the "packer" whenever we feel the need to have a third party along to tote some of the load. :wink:

Grizz here they are - the donkey "fotos" you wrote you wanted to see. If possible, I always aim to please!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Our Traveling Jacks As Promised (Grizz)

Post by rjohns94 »

Beautiful animals!!! I have a friend in Tenn who breeds and her mammoth jacks are, well ....... Mammoth!! Most comfortable ride of the equine rides. Where did you get yours from if I might ask?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I've never seen Mammoth donkeys before. We have five regular sized donkeys. 2 jacks and three jennies. (plus four horses) ours could be ridden but none of our sadddles are small enough. They are very good natured animals; now I am going to have to look into these Mammoths! Thanks for the great pictures and info.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

American mammoth jacks can all trace their lineage back to the five that George Washington brought to the country to develop a better draft animal for the army. He wanted larger mules to pull cannons. Millions of mules have been used in wars all over the globe by the US, none have ever come home. : (. Sad commentary
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thank you so much Goat Guy

Those are beautiful animals. They seem to have a friendly countenance, if such can be said about them. I like the even-tempered nature you illustrated. Great pictures. Those guys look so friendly. Do they train you the way my dog trains me? If you know what I mean, :lol:

It's always amazing to learn something new. I don't know how I managed to miss the giant donkeys for all these years. And the connection to G. Washington is very interesting also. Ignorance is certainly not bliss.

The donkeys I knew about are the burros of the desert southwest. Never handled them but always looked for them when about, and I find them delightful to watch. They are icons of desert prospecting and I had imagined them to be interesting companions. I've never known if they will bond with people like dogs do. Do they?

Are donkeys and burros the same breed, or 'kind'? I have some reading to do now.

They seem to be trustworthy in the very exact meaning of the word. Refreshing.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

They look to be fine animals. While, I don't have a ranch nor any farm animals and don't know much about donkeys, a friend brought a few of those mammoth donkeys to our valley's equestrian center last summer and they caused quite a stir with the 5 Gated folks! It was the first time most of us had ever seen or in my case, heard of one. He hitched up a pair to a wagon and demonstrated their strength and good nature. Later, he let me ride a different one for a trip on some of our 35 miles of trails in the valley and I was amazed at the smooth ride and easy going nature of the beast. Not the finest lookers, but sitting in the saddle, I really appreciated the smooth gate and sure-footedness. I'm betting that they'd make fine hunting mounts.
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love this forum, you learn something every day, I had no idea Donkeys could be that big :o Beautiful animals, thanks for posting. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice all around Goatguy, thanks for the great pics. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A mule will kill a cougar.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mammoth donkeys are just a larger breed of donkeys and burros. All same except breeding stock.

Donkey and donkey breed donkey

Donkey and horse breed mule.

Mules have an odd number of chromosomes and can't breed

Horses beget horses.

The size of the mule follows the size of the mare and there is generational enhancement in size. To breed a large mule, use a mammoth jack and a large draft mare. The foal will take on e size of the mare. My first mule was mammoth jack to a Belgium mare. 18.2 and 1600 #. Current is a regular donkey, Belgium mare. 15.2, 1200 #

Mules and donkeys aren't stubborn, but desire to please. They are animals that are very self preserving. They hesitate on something new but once it learns and takes care of fear, they will do just about anything without spooking or hesitation. HVe no idea of the mountain line pic is real or not but mules are used to protect other animals. They will run off coyote, wolves and foxes. My mule does not like foxes at all and will chase them out of the pasture
Mike Johnson,

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

rjohns94 wrote:Mammoth donkeys are just a larger breed of donkeys and burros. All same except breeding stock.

Donkey and horse breed mule.
Jack and Mare breed mule

Stallion and Jenny breed hinny :D

Doncha love know-it-alls? :D
I got extra points in Penal Code class in academy for being the only one who ever explained to the instructor what a hinny was.

Oh, and thanks for posting these pics. Great looking animules.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

GoatGuy, You sure do have some fine looking saddle stock. If we ver get over your way I would to come by and see them. Would your friend's farm be around Marshall or Harrison? Pretty nice country over there.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Vancelw. Completely correct. Advance course accepted for credit!, :wink:
Mike Johnson,

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

rjohns94 wrote:Vancelw. Completely correct. Advance course accepted for credit!, :wink:

Where's that "gold star" smiley when you need it :?:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nice animals GoatGuy.

A friend and outfitter in N.Cal bred some nice thoroughbred mares to a 16 hand mammoth jack and had 8-9 of the nicest long legged mules you ever saw. Now these mules were short haired sleek looking critters that looked ready for a racetrack, in fact from a distance they looked like thoroughbreds. These nice mules were broke to ride or pack and he would take em 10-12 days into the mountains. This fella finally had a bad wreck on a horse that ended his packin days.
Mules are a hybrid animal and do not reproduce due to an odd number of chromosomes to donate, as stated above. Every now and then a mule will decide otherwise and give birth, as a few cases have been documented over the years. An old hunting buddy witnessed one such birth and told me when I was a kid.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Octagon, your right it has happened. Most male mules are made into geldings very early. I think I have seen three documented cases of mule mule offspring but none personally and I am sure that is not the complete total, but it is very rare from the research I have seen. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

game keeper wrote:I love this forum, you learn something every day, I had no idea Donkeys could be that big :o Beautiful animals, thanks for posting. :D
+1 :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

game keeper wrote:I love this forum, you learn something every day, I had no idea Donkeys could be that big :o Beautiful animals, thanks for posting. :D
...but....but....but....it's an OFF TOPIC post...! I don't see any leverguns. I miss the old days of the Good Forum. This is ruining my whole day. I'm gonna cry or quit the forum, or maybe just pout for awhile... :roll: :D

Oh yeah, cool post, by the way...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

rjohns94 wrote:Octagon, your right it has happened. Most male mules are made into geldings very early. I think I have seen three documented cases of mule mule offspring but none personally and I am sure that is not the complete total, but it is very rare from the research I have seen. Blessings

What was the outcome? Was the offspring viable? Sorry for the thread drift.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool mules.
Old Law Dawg
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'll take a donkey over a horse any day (no offense to horse lovers), they have always been one of my favorite animals. We have wild burros roaming the dry upland forests along the Kona coast of the Big Island (Hawai'i). A few years ago people even hunted them but now they are protected. I remember a friend from the Big Island let me try some delicious smoked meat but didn't tell me it was burro until after I had my fill. :o
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sure would enjoy seeing more pictures if anyone is inclined. Ji, glad to hear that they're tasty, can't see why not. One website claims there are about 40 million donkeys living these days. Yum.

I read a little inspired by this post and it seems that they don't do well with wet hooves and need a dry climate. Must be much different hooves than the ruminants because SE is full of them and they don't need farriers or vets to thrive. Someone had a horse in the inlet for a number of years. I'll make a point of finding out how they do with 120+ inches of rain. Moose and deer seem impervious to the weather as long as they have food.

Any comments? I got the hoof thing from reading donkey breeder sites. They also say that a solo donkey is a depressed donkey and they need companionship of their own kind. So I guess a guy would need some acreage to accomodate them.

It's not for me Ji. My acreage is blue to blue green and rolling when she isn't rocking and white out. I talk to the killer whales and the minkes and the giant sperm whales and to the sea lions, although it's a different song and dance for them.

Maybe I could just visit some donkeys someday before the long voyage west.....

Grizz
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The offsprings lived to the best of my knowledge

As for hooves, the mule has very sturdy hooves, and we get plenty of rain and snow here. I just maintain normal hoof maintenance
Mike Johnson,

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I knew they existed though I've never seen a mammoth in the flesh, I don't know if any have been imported into Oz.
We have plenty of feral donkeys in the outback, which are what I guess would be about standard size. They inhabit much the same country as our feral camels. It's dry, hot and arid, but they seem to thrive out there.

I notice a couple of comments about a nicer ride, is that because of a different gait to a horse, or because of a more amenable temperament?

In the pic with the Alpaca it looks like the jack has his hindquarters bunched up under him, ready to let rip with both barrels if the need arises.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

As others have pointed out, you learn a great deal of the world around you. Great images and information. I will confess that I would like to trade places.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Gundownunder. The ride is because of their footedness, and confirmation, and gait. They ride like a sofa. The motion and the sit seem very different. I have only had two mules an two horses in my life a rode others. The mammoth jacks are like the best equine ride in the world. Then I would prefer mules, then horses. But my experience does not compare to others here on this board. Just the way I see it
Mike Johnson,

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

rjohns94 wrote:
Mules and donkeys aren't stubborn, but desire to please. They are animals that are very self preserving. They hesitate on something new but once it learns and takes care of fear, they will do just about anything without spooking or hesitation. HVe no idea of the mountain line pic is real or not but mules are used to protect other animals. They will run off coyote, wolves and foxes. My mule does not like foxes at all and will chase them out of the pasture
Our donkeys are very good natured. They like being around us and are easy to care for. As for not stubborn, I am not sure that I agree with that...

We got our first donkey to guard some sheep that my quilter wife thought would be good to get her own wool for quilt batting (less than successful project). We have alot of coyotes here and some red foxes and a few bobcats. They are great guard animals and absolutely will not let our dogs in their pen or pasture. Sheep, another story...
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Thanks guys for all the kind words about the post. Glad it brought something new to folks who had never known about the Mammoths. I was one of those who'd never heard of such. It was my wife who made sure I heard about, saw and agreed to add them to our growing list of welfare recipients here on the farm. :lol: I'm so glad I have a wife with an inquiring mind! Helps keeps me young ...and that's a very important thing for an old coot married to a younger, beautiful and bright spouse.:D

Posted a follow-up of sorts to the Mammoth donkey topic tonite. Seems I had to assuage AJMD429 blood pressure rise and humbly accepted the responsibility to do so. :wink:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.