Trimmers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Trimmers

Post by chadbr »

I've brought this topic up before, but I'll ask again...

By far, the thing I hate the most when reloading is trimming cases.

I'm looking for advice on a trimmer. One thing I'm not clear on are the pilots. Are there any trimmers that don't require them? I have several unusual calibers I don't want to have to get custom pilots for ($$$$$)...

Any tips appreciated.

Chad
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Trimmers

Post by Cliff »

As far as I have found all the various trimmers out there require some type of pilot to center the case to the trimmer. I see you are using some Lee products, again I find them good for making their case trimmers. Just a thought. ATB
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Chad,

I have been using the Forster trimmer for many years and can recommend it without reservation.
I have made a couple of custom pilots by buying the next size larger and then sanding it down using my electric drill.
I tried several other trimmers before discovering the Forster.

Jack
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have found most of my trimmer pilots at gun shows. I have picked them up for as little as 10 for $1.00
:wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the Lee ones - they are in my opinion the best.

Awhile back I posted on chucking the trimmer rather than the case-holder, when using the Lee trimmer. Finally got around to posting the picture.

The reason I don't like the 'factory' method of chucking the case-holder is because you have so much more manipulating to do, and have to keep turning on and off the drill to insert and remove cases. By chucking the trimmer and stud, you can leave the drill on, and quickly insert cases in the holder, trim them, and toss them in your trimmed-bin. You just have to be coordinated enough to get the case on the stud when it is turning, but it isn't hard after you've done a few (it's no harder than putting the stud in a turning case, which is the 'factory' method).

I had a tool shop turn down the handle for me on a lathe so it would fit in a 1/4" chuck.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just use the RCBS trimmer... but it gets used so little that it has to get "de-rusted" every time it does get used! :P I loathe trimming cases... especially a manual one. But then... since I've never used an electric trimmer, I might find that less of a chore.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Chad,
I have 2 Wilson trimmer's I have used for more than 35 years.I have changed the cutter head's a few times and added alot of cartridge holders,but it has never failed to perform satisfactorly.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have been using the same Wilson trimmer since 1959 with zero problems. There are no pilots but there are shell holders. The holders often fit multiple cases based in the same case. I use the same holder for 243,308, 270 and 30-06.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

By far, the thing I hate the most when reloading is trimming cases.
Amen, brother. :cry:

I have a Lyman power trimmer, but trimming a thousand cases is still
trimming a thousand cases. Then debur each case mouth inside and out,
measure to make sure it's within tolerance - espcially when doing a batch
of mixed headstamps. Different brands DO trim differently, as do nickel-plated,
etc., etc.. A MAJOR PITA. But, one does get nice ammo as a result!

I make pilots for odd calibers on an old, worn-out lathe I have.

I trim rifle and revolver cases. I don't generally trim autoloading pistol
cases.

-Stretch
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I use the Lee trimmers also. I only use them on .357, .30-30, and .45(Long) Colt. The regular .45 Colt seldom need trimming. :P :D The thing that bothers me is that the Lee trimmer will usually not go into the fired brass. I run the brass that I need to trim thru the expander die first. Have had no problems doing this. Also, it only costs a couple bucks for each caliber so there is not a big expense for trimmers.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

jhrosier wrote:Chad,

I have been using the Forster trimmer for many years and can recommend it without reservation.
I have made a couple of custom pilots by buying the next size larger and then sanding it down using my electric drill.
I tried several other trimmers before discovering the Forster.

Jack
Yep, me too. Have used a Forster for 40 years---the same one. Pilots are a joke as to price and like jhrosier says, its easy to sland one down as it does not have to be within micro-thousandths in cocentricity.

I even rigged mine up for a cordless drill to power it. The Makita's battery will probably do 1,000 cases. When I get home tonight, I'll post a pic.--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD