Need to roll crimp your shotgun slugs?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Need to roll crimp your shotgun slugs?

Post by awp101 »

I've never loaded slugs before and started digging around to see if it can be done with a Lee Load-All II. The short version is maybe. Lee makes a mold to cast your own that can be used with the LA II but it looks like you can't for the most part.

Anyway, my search turned this little gizmo up: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Exacta ... /ROLL12EX/

Anyone ever used this or have any thoughts on it?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Need to roll crimp your shotgun slugs?

Post by Larkbill »

I have one, it works exactly as advertised. The comment below the listing is also exactly correct, use a drill press if you have it, I made an oak block for the shell's base to sit in, clamp it in my drill vise and just hold the shell from turning with my left hand, There is definitely a learning curve, and do yourself a favor and start with some of their new hulls too. The more they've been reloaded the harder they are to "tame". Heck, buy some of their different types of slugs to experiment with and see if you like them better.

Post by awp101 »

Thanks for the feedback Larkbill!

I was looking for something to make 16ga slugs, but this may "force" me to consider them for the 12ga instead... :twisted: :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yes, you can load slugs with the Lee Load All. I cast 12 ga. slugs with one of their molds, and load them with a Load All. I just use a hull and wad combo that allows a normal star crimp over the top of the slug. I shoot them with a rifled choke tube and get minute-of-deer vitals accuracy out to 75 yards or so.
NRA Life Member
1894c

Post by 1894c »

TedH wrote:Yes, you can load slugs with the Lee Load All. I cast 12 ga. slugs with one of their molds, and load them with a Load All. I just use a hull and wad combo that allows a normal star crimp over the top of the slug. I shoot them with a rifled choke tube and get minute-of-deer vitals accuracy out to 75 yards or so.
my neighbor's boy does the same...casts his own slugs and uses the Lee Reloader...gave me five a month ago...boy they were hot, but shot good... :)
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I have a similar crimper from a UK supplier. I don't load slugs but use it to reload once-fired shells with black powder. The trick is to let the crimper spin in contact with the shell for a few seconds to heat the plastic up, then bring up the pressure on it. I have a short video of it in use on my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL5XyI0Etr4
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have one too in 12 g and copied it to make my own for 20g. I admit the copy is not as good, I know where to improve next time but it does do it so,,,,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!