Things i have fixed with JB Weld. . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Things i have fixed with JB Weld. . .

Post by vancelw »

Muffler
Gas tank
Wallowed out screw holes
toys
cast metal lawnmower body
Axe handles
The list goes on and on. . .

Anyone else? Pictures?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Things i have fixed with JB Weld. . .

Post by AJMD429 »

My Rossi Night Scout rifle

Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I fixed the hayfork in a New Holland 282 baler with it. The bolt on the roller on the end had pulled out of the aluminum ,so I Jb welded a couple of flat washers on each side of the tube, and then put the roller back together. Baled another 500 bales and the thing was still holding when I finally retired the old bugger.
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Aluminum boats
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote:My Rossi Night Scout rifle
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! What did you prep the metal with?

I forgot about my aluminum boat.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! What did you prep the metal with?
Since the tube was steel, and the mount aluminum, I found out that soldering might not work well, so I used a dowel just a bit smaller than the blued magazine tube, wrapped in emory paper, to shape the concavity to a closer fit, masked off the not-to-be-sanded area on the magazine tube with (what else) duct tape, and used very coarse grit emory paper there as well. De-greased it with brake cleaner, and then used the JB-Weld.

Did the same thing with a .44 Mag having a parkerized magazine tube, and the brake cleaner did STRANGE things to the parkerizing next to the area I'd sanded down to bare metal (permanently streaked it). Evidently the finish wasn't as good or something, because the mount fell off by the third shot... :oops: Another factor could be the .44 Mag loads were 'full house' whereas the loads I've always shot in the Rossi .45 Colt one were 'cowboy' level loads (so I don't feel obligated to wear hearing protectors). I recently located a steel scope base, shaped it (takes alot longer than aluminum), and sweat-soldered it to a new, blued magazine tube for the .44 Mag. Then I used Wheeler's Cerama-Coat finish for a Matte Black finish. I'll bet if I'd roughed/cleaned it better though, the JB-Weld would have held even on the .44 Mag.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Radiator on my '72 Blazer. Developed a pinhole leak in the top tank... obviously out in the middle of nowhere while off-roading! Sat there letting the radiator cool... mixed up a little puddle of JB Weld, a wire brush, and a ice cream stick as a spatula... viola! There FIXED THAT! Was still there when I sold the Blazer some 10 years later!

Still my favorite off-road vehicle... 350hp 350, TH350, auto, power brakes, steering and A/C! 4" lift kit, 295R35 Gumbo Mudders from Dick Cepek! 4.11 gears with a Detroit locker in back and a factory limited slip in the front... with the hubs locked... you better be on a slick surface if you wanted to turn! But, I swear, it could climb trees!
Besides the stock 35 gallon tank, I put in two 20 gallon saddle tanks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff - that wasn't a Blazer, it was a Tank...! 8)

1894c

Post by 1894c »

I think Paul Harvey (radio personality) fixed everything with that product...sure miss his voice on the air-waves... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Might be easier to ask "What hasn't been fixed with JB Weld"?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Everything but the Crack of Dawn and a Broken Heart.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Years ago, my dad had a little Isuzu P'up truck, a diesel that got, I swear to you, 52 MPG on the highway. Didn't have the power to pull a man's hat off his head, but it truly sipped fuel. He got a wild hare to see the West Coast, so he took off for a month and drove it to California.

On the way back, crossing Nevada on a 115 degree day, his air conditioning quit on him. He stopped, opened the hood, and found the bracket that held the compressor had broken. He drove another hour or so, came to some town with a motel located next to an auto parts store, and got a room for the night.

The parts store, of course, did not have the part in stock, and found it woud take 3 days to get one in. So, Pop bought some JB Weld and a couple of large hose clamps. He stuck the bracket back together with a wad of JB, secured with the clamps, and turned in for the night. Next day, he took off for home, and the repair held up all the way back to SC -- and on, and on, and on, until 8 years later, when he sold the truck with 280,000 miles on it!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Last year I got a Ruger Vaquero that someone had used for Cowboy Action and had filed down the sight quite a bit. I sanded and reshaped the sight with JB Weld, and it's held up great so far.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

ndcowboy wrote:Everything but the Crack of Dawn and a Broken Heart.

:lol: Love it, just posted this on FB,never heard this saying before. :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man! Your a day too late! (for the pics) I got a mess of pics (deleted) in an e-mail that detailed "The Cars In A Walmart Parking Lot". Lots of 'em had stuff welded, glued, roped, hose clamped, etc and I'm sure a few of them used JB Weld. :D

That stuff is great. Uses? Can't remember 'em all but front sights and copper pipes on the house are just a few.------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I have a Maytag washer that my grandparents bought new in the mid 70s. Couple years ago the tub had some holes in it from rust, patched them with JB and, so far, so good.
DougB
Levergunner

Post by DougB »

I just "welded" the mirror housing back together that my daughter almost ripped off my car while backing it out of the garage. I was NOT very happy with her!
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

If it wasn't for JB Weld I'd have no weld at all.

Cheers,

Carl
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Heavens, well, everything that needed it. It's one of those things you always have around. That, and various epoxies are one of man's greatest types of inventions. It's pretty much up to the imagination of the user.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I slathered on the JB Weld to temporarily fix the leaks (rust holes) on the oil pan of my pickup...just until I got home, that was a hundred and fifty thousand miles ago. The brand new $200 pan is still hanging on the wall of the garage.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My dad had a 67 VW fastback that popped the heads three times in a relatively short time. The first two times he had it repaired professionally. The last time he took it to the high school auto mechanics shop ( he was the choir director) after school, pulled the the heads and JB welded them back on. It at least survived the 50 mile drive to the car dealer.

Don't know how long after that. :wink:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

20 cows,
The metallurgy of the 67-68 cases and heads was highly suspect, the " melt " of the magnesium was not up to spec ( eng. speculation ) so it was to soft, and would " pull " the head bolts when torqued to " spec "
The fix involved a heli-coil which provided more surface area, capable of withstanding the stess of the required torque requirements.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm bringing this one back for a question: When I see JB Weld, there are several kinds. Some a bit more than others....any particular one better than others? I've had pretty good luck with two part glue....is the JB better than other epoxy?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I think it lasts about as long as other epoxy. I have seen guys "glass" bed a rifle action with it, and believe it or not it is still together even under a 300WM!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I haven't used any in a while, so I'm only familiar with the original stuff. The beauty of it is more than just it's adhesiveness. It is drillable and can be shaped with a file. Great for filling is stripped bolt holes as long as the screws don't need too much torch.
We also used to use it to mount axe or maul handles. It sure made for a tight fit with no wobble at all. It may be too expensive for than now.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I love epoxy.....I have to get the real small tubes, though, because they seem to dry up after a few weeks after opened. I've had real limited luck with super glue, tho.....it doesn't work on everything (or even most things :lol: )

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

BlaineG wrote:I love epoxy.....I have to get the real small tubes, though, because they seem to dry up after a few weeks after opened. I've had real limited luck with super glue, tho.....it doesn't work on everything (or even most things :lol: )
That's pretty much been my experience with super glue. I really haven't found anything it's good for.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jackruff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I love epoxy.....I have to get the real small tubes, though, because they seem to dry up after a few weeks after opened. I've had real limited luck with super glue, tho.....it doesn't work on everything (or even most things :lol: )
That's pretty much been my experience with super glue. I really haven't found anything it's good for.
it works great on fingers! Gotta keep the acetone handy.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

jackruff wrote:
Hold -up men use it to glue their victims to the wall of the store they rob so as to immobilize them or prevent pursuit. Works pretty well for that.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2571 wrote:
jackruff wrote:
Hold -up men use it to glue their victims to the wall of the store they rob so as to immobilize them or prevent pursuit. Works pretty well for that.
That there is some mean stuff.... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Don't know about a Broken Heart, but Dawn's just fine. She needs no fixin. :D
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

vancelw wrote:
jackruff wrote:
it works great on fingers! Gotta keep the acetone handy.
Note that I said GOOD for!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Someday get me to relate the time I glued myself to my water pipe on my trailer JUST out of reach of my Coors.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Or a hole in the sky
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

What was that crack about Dawn?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a friend named Dawn,............... I have learned not to use it around her.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Replaced the starter on the big tractor I showed here some time ago. Too tight between intake manifold and starter so ground a small area on starter--but--ground a little too deep making a hole. Filled it up with JB weld. Just the stuff!

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I have a friend named Dawn,............... I have learned not to use it around her.
Incorrigible :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Got tired of being slapped.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you're reading this post, you need to see what Sixgun did with his Savage 99

deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I was surprised many years back to discover that a nearby locomotive shop (on a Class 1 railroad) used JB Weld for all sorts of patching up or securing of components; if the temperature was kept within reasonable limits and/or the part not subjected to much tension it held up pretty well. I was told that it was especially useful for filling voids in castings, after which I was shown a new aluminum replacement part that had been filled here and there by the OEM manufacturer... the general consensus was that if the factory could do it, then it was good enough out in the field.

Now the acquaintance who used to use JB Weld to "re-create" broken-off cooling fins on the cylinders of old small gas engines... well, that didn't work out so well.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

line grooves and cracked frames on vintage alloy fly reels.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I fixed the housing on a sewing machine motor:
IMG_3675.JPG
The screws to the housing were over tightened and the housing broke. To keep an almost unreplaceable motor running I used the original JB Weld. Worked wonderful.
Sewing Mach pics 001.jpg
I test ran the motor and it ran great. The lady I did it for seemed happy.
Sewing Mach pics 006.jpg
I've got a couple other projects to do next.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

20cows wrote:What was that crack about Dawn?

I remember this joke from the seventies. It goes like this:

"Hey, did you hear that Tony Orlando was missing, but has been found"

"No, wow! where was he found?"

"He was found at the crack of dawn" :D

Thanks Doc, on the link. JB Weld can be used to fill old screw holes in gunstocks or metal and with a little imagination, can be colored to match. :wink: :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
My last time was up in ILLinois adding to the top of a Rossi Carbine 45 Colt front sight a piece of copper wire. May one day get a real taller front sight if the copper wire ever falls off.
Mike in Peru till Thursday.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

My traditions PA pellet flintlock. The cast underlug broke I foraged one of a iron and attached with JB weld. It has held better than the original.