Steam threshing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Steam threshing

Post by olyinaz »

I know there's a few folks here who enjoy old farm equipment. This is a photo of steam threshing going on somewhere in Iowa around 1900, possibly Clarksville. From my maternal Great Grandmother's collection.

I wonder who the lucky guy is who gets to run the steam traction engine? Also, note the water wagon. :)

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Steam threshing

Post by 6pt-sika »

Cool !

Unless I'm mistaken thats a Geiser engine and I'm thinking a Z1 or U2 .

Wish i could see the actual engine itself a little better and tell if it was a single cylinder or double cylinder !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yep nice old picture 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Great photograph!

We used to attend an annual Steam Threshing Bee held on Labor Day weekend from 1963-1987 in Gerber, California. The old farmer that put on the event passed away at age 96, but in its heyday there were literally dozens of working pieces of antique steam-powered and gas-powered farm equipment. They did everything from threshing to plowing to sawing wood. At noon, every piece of equipment with a whistle would sound a unanimous blast, which was so loud you literally had to cover your ears. It truly was an event to see! Thanks for bringing back some fond memories. :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I always wondered how the threshers didn't get a good fire started in the wheat field in the dry of summer and burn up everything. They must have cleared off a space. Those guys worked for pennies a day doing some hard old serious work, yet they got by somehow.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

brucew44guns wrote:I always wondered how the threshers didn't get a good fire started in the wheat field in the dry of summer and burn up everything. They must have cleared off a space. Those guys worked for pennies a day doing some hard old serious work, yet they got by somehow.
Some of those old engines out in the midwest were actually fired with the straw as they threshed . When the engine was belted and at full load so to speak the firebox would literally suck the straw from the ground . I never fired with straw but I did plenty times with sawdust , wood or coal !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

Very cool! I just brought home a 1951 John Deere model A project tractor and all of the paint is worn off the belt pulley. If only that tractor could talk. It came out of hill country so I'm guessing it ran a belt powered saw.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a couple of photos like that of my Dads step father threshing with steam power around the same time in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, I gave them to the local museum.
My Dad had a lifelong passion for old traction engines.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.