B92 temptation too much for me-Now with target pic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

B92 temptation too much for me-Now with target pic

Post by Dave »

Today was the flea market at the gun club. I went out there to sell a 30-06 and I did. Only problem is I spotted a lever gun laying on a table. I thought it was a Rossi but when I got over to it it was a Browning B92. I have had them in the past and the 44 Magnum would hammer deer but it was kind of rough in the recoil department.

At one point I decided I was a 30-30 man and sold my 357 and 44 levers and didn't look back. I looked at the Browning. Just enough marks on it you don't have to worry about getting a booger spot on it. Smooth action. Chambered in 357. The other day I kind of pined for a 357 carbine.

I began to feel irresponsible when I saw the asking price. I went over to the guy who was selling it and he came off it some. I told him I didn't have the money on me or my checkbook but was interested if it didn't sell by the end of the day. Then he said you take it and shoot it and make sure it shoots well. If it does you can pay me Wednesday.

What could I do? I mean he gave me ammo and everything. I took it out and it shot tight but left. I tapped the sight over and it was dead on. Don't see one everyday and the price just a little more than a Rossi? I guess I'll see him Wednesday. I am still not sure why I bought it. Just couldn't help it.

Took the little gun out and shot six rounds at 50 yards off a rest. The load was some old handloads of 17.5 of 296 under a Speer Gold Dot 158 grainer. The first three were a little low as I was holding the bottom of the black. I adjusted the sight and the next three came up. The gun is right on now. The group is not as tight as I would like but it's usable. This is the first load I tried and I really want a good cast bullet load that will shoot through a deer so I am hopeful I can find one that will shoot a little better.

Later I fired five rounds at 50 yards either kneeling or leaned up against a post. They all went into the black but not a super group maybe 6". I am sure some trigger time would tighten that up.

Last edited by Dave on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: B92 temptation too much for me

Post by Mescalero »

If you have buyers remorse email via the forum.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Ya bought it because you could. Nothin' wrong with that.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Wer'e here for Ya Man ! Let's hear it support Group. HOORAH
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice gun, great price
I know that sick feeling of becoming Irresponsible,i just never knew how to put it to words :lol:

ollogger
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

They are about as close as you can get to a Winchester 92 in modern steel and just the way God and John Browning designed 'em. I've had one in 44 mag that didn't shoot to well.. sold it... and now have lucked on to another from a fellow forum member.. (Thank you, Richard)..This one LIKES cast bullets.. will be cheap to feed.. when the ground squirrels come out, heh heh.... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

I fell into the same trap back in December. Saw a B92 in super fine shape. Price was good...talked them down another $125 and walked out with a 1981 production B92 in .44mag...My Christmas present from me to me! :D After I finally got the bore broke in with lots of Jacketed stuff, it shoots pretty good...hadda change ther rear sight out as I couldn't use the factory one at all. But I understand how that smooth action and the fit amd finish can draw ya in! :lol:

Glad ya got that baby! In .357 that is a find as there are less of them around. Good going sir! Now we'll be EXPECTING a full range report soon....

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Can't argue buying a Browning for a hair more than a Rossi.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

wolfdog wrote:Ya bought it because you could. Nothin' wrong with that.
That's probably right. I have tried to quit buying guns I am not going to really use. While the B92 is cute and doesn't kick I have a Winchester 94 trapper in 30-30 with a peep sight that is shorter, fires a more powerful round, was already paid for, and has better sights.

I just couldn't leave it laying there for some reason. I am not sure why levers hit me so hard. It was fun to shoot and I have plenty of 357 brass and cast bullets. Guess I'll give it a little time to see if it's a keeper or just a fling.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

If you paid just a bit more than a Rossi you nailed it good brother! DANG fine lever gun.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good JOB! I hate to see a levergun languishing uncared for on a table...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The B92 in 357 as "a find" is an understatement...they're pretty darn rare and even in this economy quite precious. Way to go! Love both my .357--found LNIB in an obscure out-of-state local pennysaver type ad--and .44.
1894c

Re: B temptation too much for me

Post by 1894c »

Dave -- nice gun...good choice...PM me when the guilt gets to heavy, I'll be here to work you through the pain, and if i have too I'm more than willing to take that B off your hands and find a suitable foster home... :)
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Very nice score!
If I could find a nice reasonably priced B92 in .357 I could easily sell my Puma. 357 and probably my Win 94 .44 mag and be completly happy.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I also have--and have had maybe eight or ten over thirty or so years--Rossis and love 'em, no real complaints on any, but these B92s really are something special.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

What a wonderful gun! I had one and should still have it. Must have another and in 357.

It and the Browning 1886 are one tough combo to beat!

Don
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Take 100 lead boolits, and call us in the morning..................... with a range report ! :mrgreen:

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice! Congrats
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

rjohns94 wrote:Very nice! Congrats
Thanks. I took him the money yesterday after work so it's official now. I am going to try to shoot it some this weekend. It shot some 125 grainers he gave me very well when I was trying it out. I am going to try some 158's. The B92 in 357 I had before ran out of down sight adjustment with 158's but I still have two more notches down left with this one so I am hoping it will be enough.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Great gun. I've had mine for years and I can't imagine being without it. If you don't ask too much of it as a long range gun it will do everything a 30/30 will do. I would buy another if I could find one.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.