375WIN Wildcat .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

375WIN Wildcat .

Post by dbateman »

I have a win94BB chambered in 375Win and it's not in the best shape so I was just thinking are there any improved or wildcat rounds based on the 375 ?
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: 375WIN Wildcat .

Post by Lefty Dude »

IIRC; there is a 444/375 wildcat round developed by someone.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Unless the 444 case is shortened it won't work. Too long to cycle in the BB. Paco Kelly, did a wildcat from a 356 improved case.

Here's a link to his article on it. Interesting, got quite a lot of power from it.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/375-356.htm
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Isn't wildcatting about experimenting to find something better than the original?

First question would be, how is your 375 "not in the best of shape"
IE is the barrel kaput or is the chamber kaput.

If you need a new barrel you could just rebarrel as a .375, or neck it down to .35, .33, .32 or .30.
Find a smith that can do both the rifle and the reloading dies so that they match.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

gundownunder wrote:Isn't wildcatting about experimenting to find something better than the original?

First question would be, how is your 375 "not in the best of shape"
IE is the barrel kaput or is the chamber kaput.

If you need a new barrel you could just rebarrel as a .375, or neck it down to .35, .33, .32 or .30.
Find a smith that can do both the rifle and the reloading dies so that they match.
i.e. the .35-30, .32 WS or .30 WCF (.30-30)... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

Thanks guy's it's not to bad it still shoot's ok but I bought it supposedly in as new condition and it's not so it has always annoys me so I never shot it as much as i would like so I was thinking about it and though I could get it refinished and then I though what could I build on it ?
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

If the barrel is in good condition a very easy wildcat on this rifle is the 375/356 Win. I read Paco's article but I thought that it was a little too complicated for me. I looked at a lot of options but in the end I really wanted something simple and straight forward. The problem with wildcats is cost, one offs cost a small fortune in reamers and dies.

The 375/356 is a very easy upgrade and you end up with a rifle in the cartridge Winchester should have made in the first place. Also, for a rifle as light as a top eject 375 BB, you really dont want any more recoil.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

25/35 :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Yep 375/356 would be the easiest and best fit. Of course if your going to rebarrel then 250 Savage. :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

If it were me, I think I'd stick with the current caliber. All of the big bores which used the 356/444 case diameters had the thicker barrel. I assume the engineers did this for a reason. The 375 Win. had the thinner, more standard profile. All use excellent steel, but it would make me more happy if there were more steel surrounding the cartridge at the chamber/threads especially, if going for the much wider, equally high pressure cartridge of the 356/375 Wildcat.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

C. Cash wrote:If it were me, I think I'd stick with the current caliber. All of the big bores which used the 356/444 case diameters had the thicker barrel. I assume the engineers did this for a reason. The 375 Win. had the thinner, more standard profile. All use excellent steel, but it would make me more happy if there were more steel surrounding the cartridge at the chamber/threads especially, if going for the much wider, equally high pressure cartridge of the 356/375 Wildcat.
+1
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

C. Cash wrote:If it were me, I think I'd stick with the current caliber. All of the big bores which used the 356/444 case diameters had the thicker barrel. I assume the engineers did this for a reason. The 375 Win. had the thinner, more standard profile. All use excellent steel, but it would make me more happy if there were more steel surrounding the cartridge at the chamber/threads especially, if going for the much wider, equally high pressure cartridge of the 356/375 Wildcat.

What is the diameter of your 356 at the chamber end ?

In the case of the 375 chamberings in top eject and AE models - yes, the AE does have a heavier barrel profile, however at chamber end it has the same diameter as the top eject model.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

A forum member here...."Marc" Had layed out the measurements a few years ago, but I can't find them with a search. The 307, 356 and 444's had the larger threads(and chamber face, I believe). The 375 was smaller overall. When guns "let go" the thread area seems to be critical, so in my armchair expert opinion I've always thought the more metal, the better if your going to remove more metal in the chamber, to fit cases of the diameter of the 308 Win. These are just my thoughts but I sometimes over think things. Over engineering in this area seems wise when you could be running 50-52k CUP.

I will get out the calipers when I get a free moment JFE.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

Thanks guys I might just leave it how it is and clean it up and enjoy it the way it is .

On another note I just bought an original mod 71 just waiting on it to get here :)

I just need to load some ammo for it I cant wait to take it out for a shot guns like that need to be used :)

and yes I am exited I have been looking for one for a long time .
Dave Bateman .

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

At the very least you've got a classic rifle in a classic caliber. With a little TLC it should shine up for you. Congrats on the 71!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Neither the .375 WCF or the 348WCF need improved. Either will kill anything in North America. The 348 gives you flatter tragectory and a little more range. You have an excellent battery. 8)