A brace of 1911s and range day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

A brace of 1911s and range day

Post by olyinaz »

I wanted to get my son something for his 16th BD that I hope he'll cherish for life, so I got him a Springfield Armory Range Officer 1911. He was indeed pleased. I suspect he wont appreciate it as much as I wish he would until I'm dead and gone, but if that's the case I'll get the last laugh as I wait patiently for our reunion. :lol: At any rate, he was pretty stoked when I unveiled it so with the family home and lazing for spring break this week, we gathered up some friends and some .45s and .22s and hit the range today.

It was a beautiful 75 deg. day and everyone shot well, even the kid who'd never held a pistol before! His dad is an Annapolis grad, Marine pilot buddy of mine so I figured he could handle DI duty with his boy while I worked with my boys and wife. My son had his new 1911 he was chomping at the bit to shoot and my wife had yet to air out the "Lavender Lady" .38 snub I got her for Christmas.

I brought a Ruger Mark III Target and a GSG 1911 in .22LR to get us all warmed up a bit (and for initial instruction for my buddy's boy). The GSG was a hit with the boys, what's not to like? It looks great, feels great, shoots acceptably well, but really has the cool factor the boys dig. The rest of us really liked the Mark III Target model because we could hit everything we wanted with it! Man I can shoot that thing. Any dirt clod within 50 yards is DOA. :twisted: We had the range to ourselves and there were some great targets back on the berm at about 60 yards that we really whittled down. The boys and loved it.

When we swapped to close in targets to start with the center fire stuff my wife got off to a rough start with the .38 snub at 15 yards (a bit far for a belly gun perhaps, but the hallway leading down to our master is the range I have in mind for her to shoot well), but soon she was ventilating that bad guy every time. Even rapid fire. Her other .38 is a stainless steel gun and it's heavier and much easier to control than this aluminum air weight so it took some getting used to. Even I had to admit that with +Ps in it the thing barked like a dog and really rolled back in the palm. Coulda been worse I guess, coulda been a .357! We're not huge recoil fans however so this baby is about at our limit of tolerance.

My son was next up with the Range Officer and at 15 yards he emptied the first magazine into a ragged hole. Man was I proud! Yes, it's only 15 yards but the boy has never fired a .45 before and I was worried that by the fifth or sixth round he'd start to flinch and it'd be all over. Nope! He took his coaching to heart and hunkered down and just kept on squeeeeezing the trigger, putting 230gr slugs one after another through the same hole. Hooah!

And let me say that U.S. made Range Officer is a FINE pistol. I shopped everything in the store against it and even with a new Colt Stainless Gold Cup and a new Series 70 Govt. Model to consider it came up the winner in my book with a much better trigger than either, much better sights than the Govt. Model (the Gold Cup and the Springfield use the same rear sight), better grips, and hundreds fewer semolians out the door.

Well heck! The dirt clods were mocking us! So I made sure everyone had ammo, encouraged frequent gun swaps, and we just started blasting. It was a BALL. I'd brought my Stainless Vaquero in .45 ACP and despite it not being regulated very well I was buggering some dirt clods at 60 yards with it as well and did in fact kill some of those blasted things. They had it coming! I think I'm going to have to send it off to Hamilton Bowen or some gun magician to have an adjustable sight put on it. I like it too much to move it down the road but sheesh, a guy wants a gun that send pills where the sights are pointed! Some day...

I didn't want to wear out the boys or my wife so when I saw them flagging I called it (got to keep it fun, don't want to ruin it for 'em) and we all went for ice cream. 'Twas a fine day! :D

Some eye candy:

Oly the clod buster
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A brace of 1911s and range day

Post by Grizz »

Thanks! That's just way beyond fine.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Every American kid should have someone that cares enough about him/her to give them a 1911.
My uncle gave me my first one.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lotsa fun with the semiautos. The key is like you said - starting with .22 LR, and lots of practice before using the big ones. Good job, Dad...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great fun indeed. Nice looking firearms
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Sounds like a great family day. I am glad to hear good reports about the Range Officer; there may have to be one in my future.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Sounds like a wonderfull day!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Great present and great day.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Good Dad = Great Son :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well done!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

olyinaz wrote: ...My son was next up with the Range Officer and at 15 yards he emptied the first magazine into a ragged hole. Man was I proud!
Great account, and excellent work, Dad! That's the way to break them in - with careful instruction at the outset.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i really like Sprigfield Armory .45's...if i were to get one that's what i would get (but i'm really stuck on Glocks and the .40 S&W, just don't see the need to switch)...great choice with the Range Officer too... :)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:Well done!
A great big +1
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I love it, when a plan comes together ! :mrgreen: The family that plays together, stays together.