Maynard B P

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Maynard B P

Post by pwl44m »

Here is the old Single shot rifle I bought the other day. Guy called Me and said He needed some money.
Don't know much about it other than it is very old. When He first brought it out I thought it was a Low Wall from a distance.
It does use a Cartridge with no Primer, just a hole. Has a nipple for Percussion caps and I think the first ones used a Paper shell.
Notice on the patent it says Pantentee. The first Patent date is almost 100 years before My time.
It's just Cool and I thought it might make good trade material or whatever.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Maynard B P

Post by perry owens »

Looks like a second model Maynard carbine in .50 calibre. It uses a large rimmed brass cartridge that was claimed to be reloadable 100 times. Maynards were used by both sides during your Civil War and were well regarded once the tape primer system fitted to the first models had been ditched. Depending on condition it could be quite valuable to reenactors and collectors.
If you want to shoot it you can get brass shells from Dixie Gun Works. Many 50 calibre bullets will work - this is the correct Maynard mould
I sold it to a collector in Connecticut last week.
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thanks Perry (that sounds funny) I don't really plan on shooting it but it would be cool to at least have a couple cases for it.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Perry, I have owned a couple of Maynards, and while odd looking, they can be a lot fun to shoot. Just be sure the mechanicals and bore are in good condition, and the breech locks up tight. These came in a number of calibers, with .35 and .50 the most common in the percussion era. In their later, centerfire configurations, the Maynards held some of the target records during the schuetzen era.