found a 32-20 pistol to go with old 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

found a 32-20 pistol to go with old 92

Post by MacEntyre »

Couldn't believe it... a friend of mine had a 1915 S&W revolver in 32-20, just four years older than the '92 in 32-20 I just picked up. It's not been shot much, great bore and tight action, but well worn finish... so it's a shooter, which is just what I wanted! Traded him a WWI machete and a collectible hunting knife for it.

My Firearms book shows this as the M1917, made by both Colt and S&W, without mentioning that it is identical to the revolver that S&W had been making for 18 years prior to 1917.

- MacEntyre
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: found a 32-20 pistol to go with old 92

Post by kimwcook »

Don't think you could of done better by planning it. Glad for you.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice find. No telling what Colt SAA from that era would cost.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, if I were doing cowboy shooting, it would cost me a lot more!

Just saw The Last Hard Men yesterday... interesting choices of firearms... convicts locked up in 1897 break out circa 1912 to find all kinds of new technology. James Coburn had a 1911. Charlton Heston used this same S&W double/single action revolver in a small caliber to flush a man out from cover, then nailed him with a single shot from his large bore pistol.

Brass arrives this week. Can't wait to load this puppy up and try it out!

- MacEntyre
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

Good find Mac. Looks like you've got some karma on your side.
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

I have the exact same pistol only with a 6.5" barrel. I put a Tyler T-Grip on it to fit my hand better. I use various 90 grain lead projectiles over the load book qty's of Trail Boss. What a sweet shooter. You will love it.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

How Cool Is That??? :mrgreen: Congratulations. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Now THAT is a cool revolver! I don't believe that it is a Model 1917 though; the S&W 1917 was chambered in 45ACP (as was the Colt 1917).

The 1917 was/is an N-Frame, I believe that yours may be a K-Frame. It is a Hand Ejector; if you post pics of it on the Smith & Wesson Forum they could tell you exactly what model you have.

I would buy that in a heartbeat!!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Old Savage wrote:Nice find. No telling what Colt SAA from that era would cost.
You should be able to pick up a "shooter" grade 1st gen .32 W.C.F. for $1500., give or take. Most internet fools are asking far more than the reality price these days, but if you look one can be located.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

damienph wrote:Now THAT is a cool revolver! I don't believe that it is a Model 1917 though; the S&W 1917 was chambered in 45ACP (as was the Colt 1917).

The 1917 was/is an N-Frame...
I thought the M1917 was the same revolver in a larger caliber... but I don't know anything about revolvers, just read a few articles.
damienph wrote:I believe that yours may be a K-Frame. It is a Hand Ejector;
That's it... I guess I should call it a "S&W K Frame Hand Ejector in 32-20" ...
damienph wrote:if you post pics of it on the Smith & Wesson Forum they could tell you exactly what model you have.
I'll do that... would like to confirm my thoughts about the date of mfr. too.
damienph wrote:I would buy that in a heartbeat!!
It took me about one heartbeat ;)
Mike D. wrote: You should be able to pick up a "shooter" grade 1st gen .32 W.C.F. [Colt SAA] for $1500., give or take.
I could buy two pair of my old S&W K Frame Hand Ejector 32-20 revolvers for that money!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

could buy two pair of my old S&W K Frame Hand Ejector 32-20 revolvers for that money!
True, but it wouldn't be an SAA . :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very nice.

Second Model Hand Ejector i believe.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

A fellow at Smith-WessonFroum.com says, ".32-20 Hand Ejector, Model of 1905, Fourth Change, or .32 WCF M&P for short. It was shipped about 1916."

- MacEntyre
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Your great find is real nice. The only handgun that would tempt me to wade through the gun control stuff up here is one like that. A 32-20 revolver and a 32-20 lever! Heavon on the shoulder and hip!

Congrats, you lucky fellow!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

LUCKY...nice old Smith...thank you for the pics... :)
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

MacEntyre wrote:Couldn't believe it... a friend of mine had a 1915 S&W revolver in 32-20, just four years older than the '92 in 32-20 I just picked up. It's not been shot much, great bore and tight action, but well worn finish... so it's a shooter, which is just what I wanted! Traded him a WWI machete and a collectible hunting knife for it.

My Firearms book shows this as the M1917, made by both Colt and S&W, without mentioning that it is identical to the revolver that S&W had been making for 18 years prior to 1917.

- MacEntyre
MacEntyre,

Unlike most of what other responders have posted, the majority of which is wrong BTW, I am not guessing. I haven't seen your post on the S&W Forum, but unless you posted the serial number no one could have identified the year of shipping as 1916, not saying someone didn't say that. The only features that can narrow down the period of this gun, assuming everything is original, is the stocks and caliber marking, which I cannot read in your pictures. This style of stocks was used from 1910 to 1920. If the caliber marking is .32 Winchester CTG it falls from 1910 to 1914. If it reads .32 WCF CTG it falls from 1914 to 1920. To fall in 1916 your serial number would have to be somewhere between ca. 65,000 and 75,000.

The revolver is a Model of 1905 Hand Ejector, 4th change, the Winchester model. Although many believe all medium frame guns, both .38 Spl and .32-20 are Military and Police (M&P) models the .38 is the M&P, while the .32-20 was the Winchester model. They are numbered in separate serial number series. The frame size is K or the .38 frame.

Be careful about identifying guns strictly from pictures, especially S&W Hand Ejectors. The Small (I, or .32 frame), Medium (K, or .38 frame), and Large (N, or .44 frame) sizes are so nearly identical that with nothing further to differentiate or give scale they cannot be distinguished from each other.

The 1917 is a specific revolver, developed from the Second Model .455 Hand Ejector which. was being manufactured for the British during WW-I. Except for caliber, .45 ACP, it is identical. It is built on the .44 size N-Frame. The 1917 Colt is not the same gun, just chambered for the same cartridge. It was the U.S. Gov't that designated both as Model of 1917.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Cast Bullet Hunter wrote:To fall in 1916 your serial number would have to be somewhere between ca. 65,000 and 75,000.
It does... 663XX... I added it on the S&W forum.

Your explanation clears up all of the confusing information I found in many sources. Thank you so very much!
Cast Bullet Hunter wrote:The revolver is a Model of 1905 Hand Ejector, 4th change, the Winchester model.
Wow! That makes it even more appropriate as the companion to my Winchester 92.

I feel lucky!

- MacEntyre

P.S. Anyone know if I can get half moon clips for this pistol?
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

And when its time load ammo, find a copy of Ken Water's Pet Loads. He did an article specifically on the .32-20 in the S&W M&P. Three or four years ago, Handloader did another nice article on loading for the S&W and Colt Army Special in .32-20, but I don't have it handy just now. That article goes into detail about the problem of factory jacketed ammo sometimes leaving a bullet in the bore. For a long and happy life for this old piece, my best advise would be to try to find copies of these articles, forget Colt SAA loads, and load cast bullets only.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

blackhawk44 wrote:And when its time load ammo, find a copy of Ken Water's Pet Loads.
Found it for $35 used on Amazon ($125 in paperback!)... I'll see if I can borrow a copy.
blackhawk44 wrote: Handloader did another nice article on loading for the S&W and Colt Army Special in .32-20,
Searched and found Gil Senger's 32-20 revolver load data from Handloader #220 Dec 2002... thanks!
blackhawk44 wrote:That article goes into detail about the problem of factory jacketed ammo sometimes leaving a bullet in the bore...
For a long and happy life for this old piece, my best advise would be to ... load cast bullets only.
I've read that warning... I'll be sticking with lead for both rifle and pistol.

Thank you!