Uberti blues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Uberti blues

Post by perry owens »

Before Christmas I posted about the problem of light strikes I was having with my new Uberti Burgess rifle. Well, after 6 weeks at the importers I got it back, fitted with a new firing pin and mainspring. I took it to the range this weekend where it managed to fire 20 rounds before the old problem reappeared, worse than before. This time it light strikes 9 out of 10 rounds, always firing on the second try.

As this photo shows, the first strike barely marks the primer but recocking and trying again results in a good indent. Back to the importer it goes but last time they "fixed" it by replacing everything without ever finding what the actual cause was.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Uberti blues

Post by adirondakjack »

Things to check include mainspring tension and head space. A rifle with loose head space can fire or not depending on if the rim of the case is under the extractor hook, and may well fire on a second hit if it isn't.
Certified gun nut
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Check to see if the hammer or firing pin aren't dragging somewhere.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I hope Uberti gets the bugs out of this action. It's calling my name, but I resist. If they bring out the lightweight variant of the action, resistance will simply not be possible.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

KWK wrote:I hope Uberti gets the bugs out of this action. It's calling my name, but I resist. If they bring out the lightweight variant of the action, resistance will simply not be possible.
What do you mean by "lightweight variant"? If you mean the carbine, that's been out for some time.

Perry, it sounds like the firing pin is binding or dragging. With the action closed, try pushing it in, both with and without a spent case in the chamber to see when, and if, you have interference. Also check for marking on the sides of the hammer, as suggested by Griff.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

The Burgess action has some features that might promote drag. The ejector is a strongly spring-loaded annulus surrounding the firing pin and the firing pin itself has a U-bend in the middle to clear the toggle link.The point is, the gun cost the equivalent of US$1700 and has never worked properly from new, so it's not too much to expect the manufacturer to honour the warranty and fix it. Last time it was repaired they hinted that the malfunction was somehow my fault so I am not disposed to tinker with it anymore. If it is faulty manufacture I want a replacement rifle but if it turns out to be faulty design then I want a refund.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Stick with it Perry, they should make it right for you.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Grizzly Adams wrote:What do you mean by "lightweight variant"?

Production carbines were about 7 1/4 lb (Uberti quotes a bit higher for theirs). The early guns were rather overbuilt, and in the latter half of the production run Colt offered a "light" carbine. Not only was the barrel contour lighter, much metal was removed from the receiver and lever. The carbine's weight dropped to only 5 lb, and this was by far the more popular variant towards the end of production. It is thought the rifles would have been switched over to this style had production continued.

It's not in my notebook, but I recall reading another fellow having the same trouble Perry is. I'll bide my time on this rifle.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Perry,

Not to despair, my Uberti '73 was one of the first 5 .45Colt versions Uberti imported to the US back in 1986. The gentleman I bought it from the next year (my B-I-L), said the rifle spent more time back at the importer's, (made one trip back to Italy) during the 10 months he owned it than actually in his possession. Even tho' it's worked perfectly for me, (1 broken extractor about 12 years ago) he'd lost so much confidence in it, that even when they did get the bugs worked out he wanted nothing more than to get rid of it. And the problems were all in the extractor and that little teat on the bottom of the bolt. Stay on good terms with the importer... that's the gentleman that needs to be the "bad" guy with Uberti... either he wants to sell more of 'em, or... well, good luck. At least that's the tack my B-I-L took with EMF, and they were good front men... took all the flack he dished out, and stayed on Uberti. The fact that EMF is owned by SASS#2, and he definitely wanted to have good rifles available for sale so folks would sign up to play his new cowboy game, I'm sure helped a bunch.

Oh, the B-I-L's offered almost the price of a new one to get it back... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My son has told him at least 3 times it ain't for sale, (he thinks he'll get it)! General Grant still remembers the rifle... asks about it every time I see him. Even gave me a nice discount on the last Uberti .45Colt he got... my Henry! (Which has been flawless)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sorry to hear that Perry. Very frustrating! :x
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nothing worse than being all jacked up on a new piece and the dog gone thing doesn't work. If I can't trust it it doesn't stay around. Hope you're able to get it worked out before you give up hope and use it as a door stop.
Old Law Dawg