Remington R1 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Remington R1 1911

Post by claybob86 »

Anyone have a Remington R1 1911? Had a good review at Gunblast.com. Might get one and wondered if anyone here has an opinion on it.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Remington R1 1911

Post by jhrosier »

I bought the standard Remington 1911R1 and am very satisfied with it.
The accuracy has been good and functioning flawless.
I picked the Remington because it looks just like the GI version except for the sights, which are a great improvement.
The gun is fitted as well as any I have seen, new or old.
The two magazines that came with the gun are top quality.

The trigger is a little gritty and I will stone it when I get a chance.

Jack
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've only handled them, but they have all been smooth and tight, with better than average factory trigger.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I handled one at a gun show a few months back and it looked good for the money.
It's on my want list along with a million other guns...lol
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Last year (or whenever it was) I shot a prototype before they released them to the public at my buds gunshop, Targetmaster. I liked it. Shot into 3" at 25 yards without trying and the functioning was flawless after several hundred rounds. Its just a good "meat and potatos" gun which means its built well, will last a long time, but I was not wild on the bluing and finish. You know, kinda like a new Ruger single action.

But the price reflects the black look and will do well as a reliable defensive gun, or whatever else you want to do with it.-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

i got the R1 and it has been 100% reliable with factory and reloads... Trigger is a bit gritty but no biggy. I would not hesitate to buy one again.
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
1894c

Post by 1894c »

COSteve wrote:I looked at them when I was shopping for a 1911 but I settled on the Springfield Mil-Spec version because it has a forged frame and slide. I'm really happy with mine, it's tight, feeds without any issues and the trigger is pretty good right out of the box. Over 500rds without a single issue so I'm happy.

+1 on Springfield
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I've seen em being made and handled but not shot one. Have not heard a single "lemon" story about em.

I own a GI series SA, and it was a mess when new, but SA did a bang up job fixing it, even a free upgrade to a match barrel to make it group.
Certified gun nut
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

adirondakjack wrote:I've seen em being made and handled but not shot one. Have not heard a single "lemon" story about em.

I own a GI series SA, and it was a mess when new, but SA did a bang up job fixing it, even a free upgrade to a match barrel to make it group.
My Mil-Spec is a 'NM' version meaning it was assembled in the US and has a one piece barrel with a better fitting SS bushing. (Note: I painted the SS bushing flat black for this picture.) Not a single issue with it right out of the box.
Steve
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

COSteve wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:I've seen em being made and handled but not shot one. Have not heard a single "lemon" story about em.

My Mil-Spec is a 'NM' version meaning it was assembled in the US and has a one piece barrel with a better fitting SS bushing. (Note: I painted the SS bushing flat black for this picture.) Not a single issue with it right out of the box.
I should have mentioned mine's a "Champion" 4 incher which comes with a bushingless cone barrel. The original Imbel barrel was loose and it shot LOW with GI Ball. SA replaced it with a match barrel, re-fitted the slide to the frame, and replaced the front sight to get it to group and shoot POI/POA with ball. They even reimbursed me the shipping cost to send it back and gave me coupons for three free mags.

SA's repair facility IS their custom shop. Great folks if ya ever have to deal with em.
Certified gun nut
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks for the feedback! :) Might just get one.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FYI, Remington has just introduced two more versions of their 1911 - a blued (?) enhanced GM with upgraded sights, and a stainless GM with the samer upgraded sights.

I'm waiting for a blued, alloy-framed, 4-1/4" Commander-clone from Remington, myself.

I had a 4" Springfield Champion .45, and while it shot/handles acceptably, I just couldn't abide the stainless look or the "Made in Brazil" logo stamped into the bottom of the frame's dustcover.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PackinPreacher
Levergunner

Post by PackinPreacher »

Picked up a new R-1 yesterday and am really impressed with the fit and finish. I'm hoping to get it to the range tomorrow.

I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God ... Romans 1:16
NRA Life Member, SAF Member
VietNam Era Vet (USN/USNR CTT2)
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Got mine a few days ago and I'm thoroughly pleased with it. :D The workmanship is excellent, no complaints at all. I've put 60 rounds through it so far with no malfunctions whatsoever. The pistol is more accurate than I am. (Most of them are... :oops: )

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

A friend got a new R1 and took it to the range last night. He called to tell me that in 200rds of WWB ball, he didn't have a single issue. It's his first 1911 and he's quite happy with it. It sounds like the OP got a good pistol.
Steve
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[The pistol is more accurate than I am. (Most of them are... :oops: ) ]

Ain't that God's truth ! :lol: . :lol: . :lol:

1894c

Post by 1894c »

COSteve -- I looked at them when I was shopping for a 1911 but I settled on the Springfield Mil-Spec version because it has a forged frame and slide. I'm really happy with mine, it's tight, feeds without any issues and the trigger is pretty good right out of the box. Over 500rds without a single issue so I'm happy.

+1 ... on the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec...here is a link for your consideration... :)

http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/201 ... ughts.html
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The forged frame and slide is what convinced me to got with the Springfield Mil-Spec too.
Steve
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I suppose my cast frame will just shatter in my hand after a few hundred rounds, but I guess I'll take cast in the USA over forged in Brazil anyway. :twisted:

Anyway, Steve, you got plenty of snow over there? About a foot out here on the plains so far.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I kind of agree with COSteve about Springfield Armory Mil-Specs, but I strongly agree that you'll not go wrong with that Remington either. Not a bad choice at all,... no sir!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.