A "Henry" by any other name...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

A "Henry" by any other name...

Post by Hagler »

Good people,

Someone on RimFire Central posted this link to Uberti's NEW .22LR levergun, MSRP $589.00:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/silverbo ... action.php

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/s ... ion_lg.jpg

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/c ... ail_lg.jpg

For comparison, the Henry Golden Boy, .22LR, MSRP $515.00, and made in America:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-goldenboy.cfm

How many people dislike the alloy Henry Golden Boy, but find the alloy Uberti Silver Boy more appealing?

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A "Henry" by any other name...

Post by olyinaz »

I'll have to see the Uberti in hand, but I can say that I definitely do not like the Henry's.

What can say is that Uberti nicely finishes their arms and does not seem to leave glaring deficiencies poking you in the eye as virtually all Henry products seem to.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

For starters, I am a big fan of the Henry .22s.. They may have their faults, but overall, they are great little guns, and have been an avenue of introduction for countless young shooters.. I don't know of anyone who has worn one out.. My objections have all been aimed at the centerfire rifles from the Henry outfit, which have proved to be neither New nor IMPROVED...

I look forward to seeing the new Uberti .22, which will meet most, if not all expectations, I think, given Uberti's history and commitment.. I believe we will find that Uberti has done what we wish Henry would have done, in the US...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:For starters, I am a big fan of the Henry .22s.. They may have their faults, but overall, they are great little guns, and have been an avenue of introction for countless young shooters.. I don't know of anyone who has worn one out.. My objections have all been aimed at the centerfire rifles from the Henry outfit, which have proved to be neither New nor IMPROVED...

I look forward to seeing the new Uberti .22, which will meet most, if not all expectations, I think, given Uberti's history and commitment.. I believe we will find that Uberti has done what we wish Henry would have done, in the US...
While I don't own a Henry .22, I agree with Buck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

As much as I like Henry's I prefer the look of the Uberti 8) , even though the stock looks like Beech instead of the Walnut that Henry use.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Since Winchester seems unwilling or unable to resurrect the 9422, mayhap we could persuade Uberti to take on the task... Arguably the best .22 levergun ever made and marketed..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Though I'm not a big fan of the shine factor of either gun, I like the Uberti a bit more because the screws seem less obtrusive and the receiver lacks that step that the Henry version has. I know the step probably makes it look more like a brass framed Henry of old, but I think the Uberti comes off as more aesthetically pleasing without it.

I'm also curious as to how closely the Uberti follows the original Erma Werke design of the internal mechanism.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I think I'm going to want one...!
Regards

Buck

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Buck, you should get one and reverse engineer it. Then send if off to Miroku to be fabbed for you. Once you bring it back to the states for sale, it will be like "Six Degrees of Separation" for lever actions. Maybe call it the "McHenry" or "McKannick - Legends Edition".

It would be a U.S. designed, Japanese made, re-interpretation of an Italian copy of a U.S. made, German designed, re-imagining of a Winchester acquired, Tyler Henry re-jiggering of a Smith & Wesson manufactured, Walter Hunt designed finger lever pistol/carbine called the Volcanic.

File that with the Patent and Trade Mark Office and see what happens.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Well, my head doesn't hurt as bad to look at this one as it does the Mossberg tactical levergun, --- its pretty in a weird way, but i still greatly prefer the classic lines of the "cheap" Henry .22, the 9422, or even the MArlin 39

I don't think i like it that much (the Golden Boy either for that matter) -- but i definitely would never chastise anyone else who thinks differently
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a 9422, 9422M, an old 39 Mountie, a Belgian Browning .22 Auto, a WWII era Win 72, so thankfully I don't have to pick out another .22 Long Gun... I don't care for the Gold or the silver, tho. Real stainless would be ok.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I have a henry in .22lr. Love it! also have a rossi92 in .357. Love it too. Just think a levergun should have the loading gate magazine, instead of tube loaded magazine
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

rossim92 wrote: . Just think a levergun should have the loading gate magazine, instead of tube loaded magazine

I agree on the centerfire chamberings, but thats tough to do with the small fry 22 LR's ---- tube loaded magazines are tried and true in many different firearms for the little 'uns
----- Doug
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Loading gates just don't work with the tiny .22 rounds..

What I'm really hoping for is a blued-steel or CCH version from Uberti... Sooner, rather than later.. I ain't gettin' any younger..!
Regards

Buck

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ill keep my U.S.A. made Henrys & most likely buy another

ollogger
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I had hoped one day that Uberti would make the 73/22 lever 22 again.
I doubt it now.
Oh well I got my 1905 Marlin 97/22 and she is such a shooter. :D
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Buck, you should get one and reverse engineer it. Then send if off to Miroku to be fabbed for you. Once you bring it back to the states for sale, it will be like "Six Degrees of Separation" for lever actions. Maybe call it the "McHenry" or "McKannick - Legends Edition".

It would be a U.S. designed, Japanese made, re-interpretation of an Italian copy of a U.S. made, German designed, re-imagining of a Winchester acquired, Tyler Henry re-jiggering of a Smith & Wesson manufactured, Walter Hunt designed finger lever pistol/carbine called the Volcanic.

File that with the Patent and Trade Mark Office and see what happens.
:shock: :D :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have a henry, I can nitpick some cost cutting features- like painted reciever not blued. But, it shoots just fine.
THAT said, I like the Uberti and own several for sass. If I was buying a new 22---- I have always wanted a nice marlin 39. That means a nice used one these days. :?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Note that it is CHROMED not NICKLED. I think that's interesting from a production standpoint.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

olyinaz wrote:I'll have to see the Uberti in hand, but I can say that I definitely do not like the Henry's.

What can say is that Uberti nicely finishes their arms and does not seem to leave glaring deficiencies poking you in the eye as virtually all Henry products seem to.

Oly
I agree about the Henry rifles. The centerfire golden boy I owned showed poor craftsmanship. I'm not super impressed with their rimfire rifles either.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We sell a goodly number of Henry .22s but I can't remember the last centerfire we sold. The .22s seldom, very seldom come back in for repair/warranty work. We did have one and it was a complete turnaround in 7 days. It has not been back. That is many times better than several other companies.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

I love my Henry .22 mag golden boy but I don't like the blocky looking receiver of the big boy. I'd really like to see them make a rifle that looks like a REAL Henry. Clean sided receiver that is sized in between the big boy and the golden boy, top eject, no forearm wood, and a flip up ladder sight for long range plinking.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

A Henry by any other name?

Mmm, that would be an Erma EG 71. :wink:
Slow is just slow.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

cas wrote:A Henry by any other name?

Mmm, that would be an Erma EG 71. :wink:
I had one of those, a great little rifle.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I'm happy to see both being built. I have a Henry. Great gun except for the plastic coated brass. It will come off in flakes and look bad at some point.
I'd like to see a long barreled version or either one.

Owen
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I seem to remember, but could be wrong; the Henry Golden Boy receiver has a removable cover that is "brass plated". I saw one that was removed, beadblasted the "brass finish" off and painted. Could have been on Rimfirecentral. Looked good...

Edit; I just went over to Rimfirecentral and visited the Henry section. There are posts about redoing the receiver cover. Seems like a popular Henry modification...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Either version of the henry rimfires would make a perfect candidate for powder coating......
Regards

Buck

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Ladies & gents,

What a reaction! :o Controversy abounds! :D

I find it interesting that the looks of the Golden Boy is very, very loosely based on 1860 Henry & more closely on the 1866 Winchester, and Uberti appears to copy the Golden Boy. I know that Uberti already produces an 1860 Henry replica, and some .22LR versions of the 1866 & 1873 Winchesters. I realize that the guts of the Uberti "silver" rifle may be totally different from those of the Golden Boy, and that the basic guts of the Golden Boy are very similar to those of the modern Henry H001-series, which, in turn, descends from the original Erma levergun of 1972-1973. Truthfully, I do not have a hankering for either of those gold/ silver rifles, but they do serve a purpose.

Now, I am having trouble finding the link to a quote about Henry's Golden Boy's receiver cover treatment. In a nutshell, though, the cover is designed to be coated, with clearence allowed for the thickness of the plating & tinting they do to it. Henry Wisconsin, a metals casting & extruding company, plates the receiver of the Golden Boy with nickel, then covers that with a golden-tinted clear finish. I know that this clear finish can be scratched, but I have wondered what the Golden Boy would like like with all of the tint removed. I also wonder how durable the nickel plating is.

Uberti says that their new, silver gun has an aluminum reciever, nothing more. As for the alloy of Henry's receiver covers goes, Andy Wickstrom, of Henry Wisconsin, says this about it:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... t=387405#6

"This is not your standard variety Zamak and I would suggest buying a replacement cover or two, if you'd like to experiment on your own. Otherwise, Henry has some options for replacement."

For the record, I have a Henry H001L, "Lever Carbine", and I would not get rid of it for anything.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Shawn, I can see you support Henry completely. That's good. I like mine. The made in US is good too. I'm sure that's enough to send most people to buy them over Uberti.
I for one, like Uberti too and have several of their guns. Because of that I could see myself getting one of their 22's. Maybe I wouldn't pay over $500 for either. I saw a Weatherby Mark 22 yesterday for $400 and that maybe twice as good .

Owen
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Owen,

I think Uberti makes some wonderful rifles. In fact, if I find myself with a surplus of cash, I could easily succumb to the charms of a Uberti 1873 fancy, color case-hardened "border" rifle, in .357 Magnum, with pistol-grip stock. I am not drawn to Uberti's new silver offering, nor Henry's "gold" rifles (both rimfire & centerfire), the same way that I do not desire any Marlin rifles. They all do their jobs, but, different strokes, for different folks... :D

Shawn
ImageImage
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Will the Uberti use a solid brass (gun metal) receiver or use a brass plated cover like the Henry uses?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

rbertalotto wrote:Will the Uberti use a solid brass (gun metal) receiver or use a brass plated cover like the Henry uses?
I think someone mentioned the Uberti being a chrome plated aluminium receiver, but I have no verification of that.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

The "Silver Boy" is listed as Chrome Plated, but it might be just as cost effective to make the brass version from "Gun Metal", which is a brass/bronze alloy that was used in the day to make "brass" framed rifles.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I believe I will stick with my 1967 model 39A Marlin.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I was at the Shot Show, and was able to handle the new Uberti Silverboy. The action has a very smooth, precise feel, and the rifle is beautifully balanced. Fit and finish are excellent, as we have come to expect from Uberti. The receiver is chrome plated and a similar profile to the Uberti 1866 Yellowboy, but thinner than the center fire 1866. It has a very substantial feel that seems to speak to the quality of the materials used. Fairly short level throw. I think levergunners are going to like this rifle! I know I will be buying one. :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I like the Henry 22s and make sure my grandkids get stocked with one as soon as they are ready to shoot. Heap good rifle.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Thanks Grizz, for a real, hands-on review.. It just strengthened my resolve.. I Will have one..!
Regards

Buck

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What do they say about imitation...
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Hagler wrote:Good people,

Someone on RimFire Central posted this link to Uberti's NEW .22LR levergun, MSRP $589.00:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/silverbo ... action.php

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/s ... ion_lg.jpg

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/c ... ail_lg.jpg

For comparison, the Henry Golden Boy, .22LR, MSRP $515.00, and made in America:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-goldenboy.cfm

How many people dislike the alloy Henry Golden Boy, but find the alloy Uberti Silver Boy more appealing?

Shawn
Thread's a bit old but I noticed the existence of the silverboy last night and what can I say. It's existence made me angry. Here I've been sending mails to Uberti about how I would love to see the 1873 in a .22lr caliber again and this is what they went with. Like we didn't have enough of these sort of lookalikes already. I wanted the real deal, the genuine old toggle-action action just made for 22lr, like they used to.

To my eyes I can immediately spot the differences between that and a real replica and it just draws my focus and says "this here ain't the real thing".

At least uberti supposedly makes the 1866 in .22lr
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, the Uberti SilverBoy, and ALL the Henry's, both "Golden" & "blued" (I know, I know) - have an internal receiver proper (the Henry's are made of steel, the Uberti either aluminum or unknown), COVERED by a vaguely Winchester-looking alloy shell called a receiver cover.

I personally don't care for the "configuration" of the Uberti SB, the Henry GB, or the similar-looking Henry CF models because of the excessive stock drop and the abrupt barrel receiver interface - not to mention the need for a really clumsy cantilever scope mount needed for those who cannot see iron sights, ILO the simple rimfire grooving of the Henry H0001 Standard & H001T Octagon Frontier (both of which I am a fan of).
YMMV, of course - which is what makes a horse race.

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Personally, I love how they take direct aim at Henry's market. "Silver" boy indeed :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I think they are Henrys, so they really can't hurt the market.
Do they look good? Yes.

But if no one else has mentioned it, front sight limitations notwithstanding, the H001 is the best buy in a levergun out there, they work flawlessly, and are uncanny accurate.

And I know this has been called wide as a barn, but the Williams FP-GR works perfectly with the stock sight on the H001
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Williams WM-96 Peep w/issue front sight painted orange.

Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Here's a more proper uberti design:

Now if only they came back with the 73/22 then they could leave that boring henry ripoff for some other company.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

great thread...i own and shoot a Browning BL-22 (best lever .22 ever JMOP), but have looked hard at the Henry as a second rifle...appreciate all of the input... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Sat May 12, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Wow ---- i just googled the Erma EG --- didnt realize the basic Henry was a re-marketing of something else entirely. Did they rip off the design, buy the Erma patent, or something else entirely ?
----- Doug
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Erma copied the Marlin mechanism, the Erma was imported by Ithaca.
Henry Repeating Arms Co. now owns it.

Yes, would like to see Uberti make a 73/22
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Streetstar wrote:Wow ---- i just googled the Erma EG --- didnt realize the basic Henry was a re-marketing of something else entirely. Did they rip off the design, buy the Erma patent, or something else entirely ?
IIRC, The original Erma designer, the late Lou Imperato Sr, is the same person who founded Henry Repeating Arms, with his son (Jr.) running the company today.
The design was licensed to Ithaca for a few years, when Ithaca made it as their Model 72 saddlegun.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS