I love boy`s rifles!! pictures

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

I love boy`s rifles!! pictures

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A guy brought me a little Stevens #14 Little Scout rifle to
see if I would make a new stock for it. The old stock has been broken for 40+ years.

He told me he remembers his mom shooting varmints out of her garden patch when he was a boy some 50 years back.

An Heirloom for sure so It deserves to be fixed and put away in a safe place.

The Stevens #14 Little Scout , according to the book "Single Shot Rifles by Frank DeHass" was made from 1907 to 1910.
It looks like a rolling block but is classed as a swinging block. A rather weak design as the barrel is not threaded into the receiver but is just a slip fit and is held in place by a set screw on the bottom.
I fired it using CCI CB Longs and it shot fine although I did not shoot for accuracy.
I turned out this stock over the last couple of weekends between honey doo`s :wink:
It was a fun project!! :D
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I love boy`s rifles!! pictures

Post by Pitchy »

Nice job on the stock and a neat rifle bro. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A fine classic little rifle. You did an excellent job restoring it to life.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

JerryB wrote:A fine classic little rifle. You did an excellent job restoring it to life.
First rate job there by golly. Talent just drips off guys around here.
Old Law Dawg
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

kimwcook wrote:
JerryB wrote:A fine classic little rifle. You did an excellent job restoring it to life.
First rate job there by golly. Talent just drips off guys around here.
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That gun is cool! Nice job on the wood
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

nice work.

did you use one of those hunks of walnut in your shop?
nice grain.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Nice. I might buy a Stevens Favorite this coming week. It has a split in the stock near the tang. Do you think it can be wood glued or fixed n some way?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks for the compliments guys!
pokey, It was a piece of wood I got from my boss at work.
Just a scrap actually but big enough to get the job done.

Lostowl05661 , Many cracks or damaged stocks can be repaired and often you cant find the repair unless you know where it was. When you get the gun, post a picture or two. Lots of help on this board. :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pitchy wrote:Nice job on the stock and a neat rifle bro. 8)
+1 :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Wow. Very well done
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I thought you meant THIS kind of Boys Rifle... :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_anti_tank_rifle
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Those little rifles were quite adequate in a much simpler time. Maybe it's too bad we expect so much today.
You did a wonderful job on the stock. The owner should be very proud.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

My father in law used to collect Steven's Boys Rifles. He had about 20, and he made a nice display board for them. He'd set up at gun shows and talk to people who came by his table. Lots of guys started out with these little 22 rifles, if the numbers who stood around and talked to him were any indication. He'd also prowl the tables looking for other Steven's rifles or parts that he could use. I was mostly interested in Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers then, but still had fun watching indulge in his hobby. Those were some good times. He eventually sold his collection and put the money into his boat for Valdez, but he had almost all of the different models of Steven's Boys Rifles by the time he did.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

A sharp eye will notice this is a Stevens smooth bore, marked ".22 shot", designed for use with BB caps or actual shot cartridges, it has a bead front sight and no rear sight, and the barrel is longer than the rifled version. Circa 1900, give or take.

They are fun.

You did a great job with the stock!
Certified gun nut
Teek
Levergunner

Post by Teek »

Oh, stuff! The very gun I grew up with, and shot snakes, with; and whatever else moved with!!

Teek
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

:lol: I did too when I saw the title
AJMD429 wrote:I thought you meant THIS kind of Boys Rifle... :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_anti_tank_rifle
----- Doug
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent craftsmanship!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

this one my dad learned on when he was 2 1/2 and the gun was nearly new. he started me on this one......when i was 2 1/2 as well. stevens junior, and actually quite accurate little rifle.

these were great little kids guns.....you have done a fine job on that stock!!
cable
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

hfcable , That is an interesting little rifle you have there.
Is it the Stevens #11 ? The rifle I show has no model number stamped on it, just Little Scout and Stevens and the address .
The book suggested it was the no. 14 .

I notice that your rifle don`t have a separate receiver like the 14 does. I will want to look it up to see how it was made. Frank DeHass`s books have pictures of of them broken down and some with full size drawings.
I would like to make one from scratch and yours looks to be as simple a piece as one could ask for.
Thanks for posting a picture of it!!! :wink:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

it was simply designated the Stevens Junior, no model number that i have seen. it is very precious to me. my own son has shot it as well, of course. i know that little rifle accounted for a truckload of bunnies and squirrels etc over the years,most before i was born i am sure ,but including the first one of each that i myself ever took.
cable
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I got my first single shot 22 rifle for my sixth birthday in 1932 - we lived WAY out in the sticks of the Nebraska Sandhills - no utilities except what we built on our own - little recreation other than shooting Jack rabbits and prairie dogs. The good news was there was a concerted effort to wipe out coyotes - never done totally but the reduction of coyotes did greatly increase the population of rabbits and prairie dogs so I had lots of "game" to shoot -

Never felt deprived - got a Winchester 94 in 32 special for coyotes the next year - PLUS - seeing a kid walking down the road with his rifle only drew smiles and waves and no school closing or lock-downs - good old days.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wow! great photo and story. a wonderful way to grow up. were you anywhere near Chadron? my good friend here, bill hanson , a retired engineer and sometimes gunsmith, is from around there and his dad started the museum of the fur trade at chadron. he and his brother are still very involved with this.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wow! great photo and story. a wonderful way to grow up. were you anywhere near Chadron? my good friend here, bill hanson , a retired engineer and sometimes gunsmith, is from around there and his dad started the museum of the fur trade at chadron. he and his brother are still very involved with this.
cable
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

A beautiful job on that stock. Went out this afternoon with my little brother and a buddy from work. Went through a thousand rounds of 22 lr. Want a great relaxing way to get some fresh air. Tried out a new to me Winchester model 1906 that is 100 years old. It will need a little work. I just love old 22's.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

These boy's rifles are reminders of a time gone by - I wonder if someone here has one of the Remington rolling block "Boy Scout Rifles" from around 1910-13. Thanks for the wonderful thread!
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I was hunting old Field & Stream on Google Books this morning and clipped this ad, 1913
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

hfcable wrote:wow! great photo and story. a wonderful way to grow up. were you anywhere near Chadron? my good friend here, bill hanson , a retired engineer and sometimes gunsmith, is from around there and his dad started the museum of the fur trade at chadron. he and his brother are still very involved with this.
Thanks - Chadron was about 150 miles or so northwest of us in Grant county - I had relatives living in Chadron and relatives who went to college there. Spent the night there a few years ago flying cross country in a rented plane and lost use of one of the engine parts -left magneto that fires half the spark plugs in the engine - and, as luck would have it, the long time Fixed Base Operator was retiring - had sold all his parts - so I had to have part flown in from Colorado Springs. No taxi service but the sheriff provided free rides from and to the airport - friendly service. We were en route to a wedding in Fargo the next day and barely made it. My brother-in-law found out what I meant when I said private flying was a fast way to get somewhere as long as you're not in a hurry.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER