Ruger's new centerfire rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Ruger's new centerfire rifle

Post by old06 »

New center fire rifle from Ruger

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

Been looking for a 243 for the grandson just may buy this one 449 MSRP mu guess on the shelf for 375 or so
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Ruger's new centerfire rifle

Post by J Miller »

Oh yeah, that's an American rifle all right. From it's octagon receiver, (European origins) to it's trigger system ( stolen from Savage ) to the sightless barrel to the funky shaped stock (also European ). Yep, as American as be.

In a pigs eye it is. Innovative design my butt. Ruger hi-graded the whole darn thing from various sources.

They are in good company now. They did the same thing Marlin did with their last bolt gun.
What a joke.

old06, my apologies to you. If this rifle works for what you want great. I just wish the gun makers would quit stealing ideas from each other then bragging on how innovative they are.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

A closer look from Gun Blast

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-American.htm

Joe you don't have to apologies for anything this is still the good old USA where you have a right to feel any way you want
Last edited by old06 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Hey Joe...........................................................HAPPY NEW YEAR YOU OLD GEEZER. LIGHTEN UP. It is a Ruger. :) .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

old06 wrote:A closer look from Gun Blast

Joe you don't have to apologies for anything thei is still the good old USA where you have a right to feel any way you want
old06,
Yeah, I know, but sometimes I just have vent my negative feelings about something and still I feel bad about it.
As for Gunblast I'll bet they loved it. I've yet to read an article by them where they don't like something. When I read the article I'll see I guess.
.45colt wrote:Hey Joe...........................................................HAPPY NEW YEAR YOU OLD GEEZER. LIGHTEN UP. It is a Ruger. :) .
.45colt,

You know I am trying to loose weight ....... lost a little so far.

As for the Ruger, I wouldn't dis it bad if they'd put a set of irons on it. That right there is reason #1 I won't even consider it for a future purchase.

I had enough BS trying to get irons put on my Marlin MR-7 to last me a life time. And they still are not right.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

Despite what our leaders have done to this country, to have a company that will try to adapt and prosper, is good news. To think progress, innovation even if copied to some extent and jobs will continue to hang on and hopefully grow in hostile anti-business country, is a small bright light. For this to happen within an industry that is viewed as evil and is hated by millions, is even better. Go Ruger. Show some other American manufacturing companies how to move forward and stay in the US.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My first centerfire rifle and the one I still turn to for serious work is a Ruger 77 (rebarrelled) with the tang safety. I've never had another Ruger rifle because I just can't operate the 3 position Mauser type safety on the MKII, Hawkeye and others. Finally, Ruger has brought back the tang safety! While I do not want or need the current calibers offered, a hope a 7mm-08, 260 Rem and others are offered in the future. I'd get one without hesitation. I would also seriously consider getting and '06 and having re-rifled to 35 Whelen!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Old Bill Ruger was a genius, but all of his rifles were variations on existing firearms. M77 is basically a 98 Mauser, Blackhawk a Colt SAA, etc.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

old06 wrote:Despite what our leaders have done to this country, to have a company that will try to adapt and prosper, is good news. To think progress, innovation even if copied to some extent and jobs will continue to hang on and hopefully grow in hostile anti-business country, is a small bright light. For this to happen within an industry that is viewed as evil and is hated by millions, is even better. Go Ruger. Show some other American manufacturing companies how to move forward and stay in the US.
Yes, what you are saying is right and true. But I have a question; how can I buy from them, when they don't really make anything I want? This is a serious question. Money is scarce in my house and unless the gun is really what I want, I don't buy. The last rifle I bought was my Marlin 1894 Cowboy. It suited me to a T, so I bought it.
In recent years nothing Ruger has made suits me. Sorry to say I just can't spend money to keep them in business unless they make something I want.

Joe
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Kinda with Joe on this just at first look.Also makes me wonder if Ruger isn't trying to have a budget price rifle because of the economy,not that it is a bad thing.Does seem to resemble the new Savages,TC icon and others but then I've not progressed past the Mauser 98 :roll: .Still a wood stock and blued steel shooter.
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

Joe,
In you comments of Gunblast.
If a product is inferior it is not written up in an article.
What Jeff writes of a product is will it do what it is intended to do in a good manner.

Several manufacturers have their products returned,some with suggestions for improvement, or total refusal of a Gunblast writeup.

Just making a statement about a friend that I know is right just like I would stick up for you when you are right.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I want to see a bunch of accuracy tests..........and not by magazine gun writers........."The gun would have shot better but the wind was blowing 5 mph and it was cold....." ---"It would have shot better, but the stars weren't aligned properly..."-----" It will shoot a two shot 1" group if you do your part...."

When someone can duplicate Savages "out of the box" accuracy for under $500, then you got my attention.

And this rifle is simply ugly..........Who on God's green earth is designing firearms up there in New Hampshire. That revolver they just introduced is horrible to look at. And this "rifle" is no better. Its a TC Icon or a S&W Whateveritscalled...........It takes a Czechoslovakian company (CZ) to show America how a rifle should look and perform............

"The only interesting rifles are accurate rifles..........................."
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I like it. Nice to see another quality choice in the 500$ bracket. I like the Weatherby Vanguard alot in this bracket too, but if this one is proven to be a consistent moa perforner (re the Gunblast r test), they have a winner.
Maybe they could bring a tactical/target model in a price point competitive with the Rem SPS V

The savage is a fine shooter, just never did warm up to the barrel nut
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If it fits me, and is reliable, I really don't care what it looks like :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Oh yeah, that's an American rifle all right. From it's octagon receiver, (European origins) to it's trigger system ( stolen from Savage ) to the sightless barrel to the funky shaped stock (also European ). Yep, as American as be. In a pigs eye it is. Innovative design my butt. Ruger hi-graded the whole darn thing from various sources.
DerekR wrote:Old Bill Ruger was a genius, but all of his rifles were variations on existing firearms. M77 is basically a 98 Mauser, Blackhawk a Colt SAA, etc.
Firearms technology most often is improved incrementally, and often involves lots of 'copying'; when one of them DOES dare to think 'outside the box', the firearms community often ridicules their products as 'strange'. If we want 'tradition' that's fine, but sometimes 'innovation' means 'strange', and only those whose designs survive the skeptics wind up becoming 'classics'.
old06 wrote:Despite what our leaders have done to this country, to have a company that will try to adapt and prosper, is good news. To think progress, innovation even if copied to some extent and jobs will continue to hang on and hopefully grow in hostile anti-business country, is a small bright light. For this to happen within an industry that is viewed as evil and is hated by millions, is even better. Go Ruger. Show some other American manufacturing companies how to move forward and stay in the US.
That's a good way to think about it. Sadly, some of the best gun designs are so tried-and-true, and last so long as hand-me-downs, that it must be difficult to make a profit for a gun manufacturer and keep their prices 'affordable' to the average consumer (most of us spend far more on frivolities than our core firearms).
BlaineG wrote:If it fits me, and is reliable, I really don't care what it looks like :P
I'll second that...! (That's why I like my ugly duckling Ruger 96's :wink: )
Streetstar wrote:The savage is a fine shooter, just never did warm up to the barrel nut
I actually like that - reminds me of the AR-15 system where headspacing as a 'variable' is mostly eliminated, and one can switch barrels without huge expense; I'm not sure what the 'downside' of the barrel-nut system is...!??
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I like it. They have taken all of the best innovations and combined them into one good quality gun. What's not to like about it?

And I especially like all of the "bargain" bolt guns that have been coming out.

Cost can be a big barrier to people getting into hunting and shooting and puting out good quality, inexpensive bolt guns makes both more accessible to more people. This is a good thing for us all.

This Christmas saw another record being set in ATF background checks - indicating guns sales. A record that surpased the 2008 obummer inspired run on guns.

I am happy for anything that gets more guns into the hands of law abiding Americans.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

AJMD429 wrote:
J Miller wrote:Oh yeah, that's an American rifle all right. From it's octagon receiver, (European origins) to it's trigger system ( stolen from Savage ) to the sightless barrel to the funky shaped stock (also European ). Yep, as American as be. In a pigs eye it is. Innovative design my butt. Ruger hi-graded the whole darn thing from various sources.
DerekR wrote:Old Bill Ruger was a genius, but all of his rifles were variations on existing firearms. M77 is basically a 98 Mauser, Blackhawk a Colt SAA, etc.
Firearms technology most often is improved incrementally, and often involves lots of 'copying'; when one of them DOES dare to think 'outside the box', the firearms community often ridicules their products as 'strange'. If we want 'tradition' that's fine, but sometimes 'innovation' means 'strange', and only those whose designs survive the skeptics wind up becoming 'classics'.
That's a good way to think about it. Sadly, some of the best gun designs are so tried-and-true, and last so long as hand-me-downs, that it must be difficult to make a profit for a gun manufacturer and keep their prices 'affordable' to the average consumer (most of us spend far more on frivolities than our core firearms).
BlaineG wrote:If it fits me, and is reliable, I really don't care what it looks like :P
I'll second that...! (That's why I like my ugly duckling Ruger 96's :wink: )
Streetstar wrote:The savage is a fine shooter, just never did warm up to the barrel nut
I actually like that - reminds me of the AR-15 system where headspacing as a 'variable' is mostly eliminated, and one can switch barrels without huge expense; I'm not sure what the 'downside' of the barrel-nut system is...!??

AJMD429 …………….Well put rebuttals At my core I like all the wood and fine bluing and such but I do step outside and try some of the new things on the market Ruger has to keep pace with all the others
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That gun is kind of funny looking but if it shoots well what can you say? I do wish everything wasn't black all the time. I would like to see more grayish stocks or something on the econo bolt guns.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

Seems like a smart move for Ruger. Average joe doesn't care about the lineage of the mechanical aspects of his rifle, he just wants something that's going to shoot accurately out of the box, and especially in these economic times, something that won't break the bank. I imagine Ruger would like to win back a part of the market currently held by Savage.

Often guys who want to start hunting will ask me what rifle I'd reccomend. As I tell them about the best used gun shops, what serial numbers to look for and avoid in winchesters and marlins, this is when I often see their eyes start to glaze over, and they say "well, i was thinking about a remington at walmart". That's when I say "well, get the Savage instead.". If these guns turn out right, maybe I'll add them to my reccomendations.

I wish Marlin hadn't sold, but since they did, I wish Ruger had bought them instead of Remington. At least Ruger seems to care.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Why reinvent the wheel?

The Japanese were master copiers and still are.

Now the Brazilians are in on the act.

Why shouldn't Ruger have a slice of that pie or do you have to be foreigners to copy American designs?

God Bless Ruger .....I own about 20 of their guns and love'm all.

I hope the new gun does well.

I'll probably buy one myself.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Please don't misuderstand what I was saying. I LOVE Ruger as a company. I own more Rugers than any other maker. Heck, a Springfield 1903 was basically a copy of a 98 Mauser, not to mention a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester. My point is that true original designs in firearms are rare. It just isn't the way industry normally works. What I do know about Ruger is that their guns normally work and work well.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Dave wrote:That gun is kind of funny looking but if it shoots well what can you say? I do wish everything wasn't black all the time. I would like to see more grayish stocks or something on the econo bolt guns.
The good thing about the plastic stocks is they are easily changed with a can of spray paint. I use the Krylon camo matte paints. I've done one for myself and several for friends. I've done gray, green, camo, digital camo, pink (for my buddy's wife), and they all hold up pretty well.

The camo one I did for myself. I used a cedar twig with leaves on it for the pattern. Turned out real nice. I sold that rifle, a Savage in .300 WSM, partly because the person liked the paint job so much.

I love Ruger guns. I think they are just about the best overall arms manufacturer out there. If I like the feel of these new guns, and hear good reviews on them, there may be one in the near future for me. I only have one "deer rifle", and it's a .243. While I absolutely love it (it's a Win pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight), I think I need another bolt gun in .308 or something like that for the bigger deer and elk out west. Though the .243 has never failed me, even on mulies, I wouldn't feel too comfortable shooting an elk with it at much range.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

My favorite hunting gun is a Ruger Stainless All Weather Model 77 MKII in .300 Winchester Magnum with an indestructible Zytel stock.

Ruger bolts in the early 90s weren't noted for their accuracy but I lucked out & got one with an exceptionally good barrel that gives me an honest 3/4" @ 100 yd 3 shot group with the Winchester 180 grain XP3 factory ammo.

It has a crystal clear 3-9x40mm Leupold scope perched on top of it.

That gun has dropped a dozen Canadian moose.

It's built exactly like a pre-64 Model 70 with a control round feed bolt & 3 position safety but a dozen times tougher. They definitely had a real pre-64 Winchester Model 70 on the drawing table when they designed this Ruger.

I replaced the factory trigger with a Timney because it was Ruger policy at the time to install triggers in new guns that were like fence posts.

If the new Ruger gun is an improved & tougher version of somebody else's design it certainly won't be the first (or last) time.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Tikka ... :)
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

rbertalotto wrote:I want to see a bunch of accuracy tests..........and not by magazine gun writers........."The gun would have shot better but the wind was blowing 5 mph and it was cold....." ---"It would have shot better, but the stars weren't aligned properly..."-----" It will shoot a two shot 1" group if you do your part...."

When someone can duplicate Savages "out of the box" accuracy for under $500, then you got my attention.

And this rifle is simply ugly..........Who on God's green earth is designing firearms up there in New Hampshire. That revolver they just introduced is horrible to look at. And this "rifle" is no better. Its a TC Icon or a S&W Whateveritscalled...........It takes a Czechoslovakian company (CZ) to show America how a rifle should look and perform............

"The only interesting rifles are accurate rifles..........................."
It reminds me of a .303 BR Lee Enfield rifle that a Canadian trapper friend of dads we visited when I was a kid 2 score and umpteen years ago during a hunting trip north of Timmins in Northern Ontario, Canada owned.

He was a "waste not, want not" kind of old coot who found a use for everything that came his way cheap or free.

He had some green paint left over from painting the inside of his cabin so he painted his canoe, the paddles, the outhouse, the skinning shed and last but not least that old Lee Enfield rifle til every drop of that paint was used up.

The new Ruger reminds me of that green Lee Enfield...........butt ugly but a very practical tool.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

J Miller wrote:
old06 wrote:A closer look from Gun Blast
<snip>
As for Gunblast I'll bet they loved it. I've yet to read an article by them where they don't like something. When I read the article I'll see I guess.
<snip>
Joe
Tom Richardson wrote:Joe,
In you comments of Gunblast.
If a product is inferior it is not written up in an article.
What Jeff writes of a product is will it do what it is intended to do in a good manner.

Several manufacturers have their products returned,some with suggestions for improvement, or total refusal of a Gunblast writeup.

Just making a statement about a friend that I know is right just like I would stick up for you when you are right.
Tom,

Your point is well taken. I was not trying to dis Gunblast or the Quinns, just to state that I'd never seen them write about anything they didn't like.
I've never heard or read anything like what you posted. This is good to know, but occasionally I'd like to read a report that says brand X's new product, is a piece of junque and we don't recommend it.

Joe
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Slight drift here, but I do think Ruger has done some truly innovative things. The Mark I .22lr semi-auto is one I have never seen anything else like, and the magazine from the 10/22 is another. As far as taking and adapting someone else's good ideas into one firearm, why not? Didn't Winchester adapt the extractor from Mauser in its pre-64 Model 70? Didn't Springfield adapt the Mauser into the 1903? Mauser sued and won a patent infringement lawsuit. Not everything has to be completely innovative.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IMO, genius is being able to identify a flaw, and then design an solution to it. Real genius is making something that nobody's able to improve upon. Real genius is exceptionally rare.

Sorta like JMB's design of the Winchester mdl 1894! IMO, neither the side scope mounts or AE mod were solutions to a flaw... Now if Ruger were to develop a rotary magazine carbine... using 2-piece stocks, that was as light and slim in hand as a mdl 94 Winchester... maybe I'd rethink JMB's place as a real genius, but... (I think he's in no danger)! :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I like everything about it, looks like a perfect hunting rifle.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and the 77 is a nice series; left handed available and also revolver cartridges - in a bolt gun and a rotary mag. That's not innovative?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

1894c wrote:Tikka ... :)
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It looks A LOT like the sub-$500 Tikka T3 Lite.

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?lite
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
1894c wrote:Tikka ... :)
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It looks A LOT like the sub-$500 Tikka T3 Lite.

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?lite
Just what I thought as soon as I saw it! :lol:

Good but not American!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I own a Ruger Hawkeye in 270 Wichester. It will do 1/2 MOA with the right ammunition. It is made of blued steel and wood. Call me a traditionalist if you want but its my favorite rifle next to my grandfather's Remington 721 (also in 270WCF). If all other gun manufacturers are making a "base line" affordabe model I see no reason Ruger shouldn't. As long as it is a solid and accurate rifle I see reason to dislike it. To me they are just competeing with the other manufacturers same as they have always done.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, Ruger managed to do it again. Take a good idea and stick it in an ugly plastic stock, creating the LUR (Latest Ugly Rifle). I am beginning to suspect that the designers at Ruger are either severly esthetically challanged or just plain blind. Well, at least they didn't stick a plywood (yea guys that's what a laminated stock is, plywood, I can understand using plywood on a military rifle during war time, but...) stock on it.

What the heck would be wrong with a nice walnut stock with some figure to it. Of course, those bozos would probably coat the wood with some kind of high tech polymer coating that looked hideous.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

just looked at your link for the rifle, not a bad looking rifle, but agree with some others here, it needs some kind of sights, steel or otherwise.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

not a bad looking rifle, but agree with some others here, it needs some kind of sights, steel or otherwise.
It needs a lever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
bajabill
Levergunner

Post by bajabill »

cant tell from the pictures, but does it have a barrel nut? That would be a plus for me. except it doesnt come in left hand style.
348WCF
Levergunner

Post by 348WCF »

Yup, it has a barrel nut alright. I too wish it had good iron sights. But there is nothing saying that we can't mount a good set on there!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sorry, but give me a 50 yr old Remington 700 any day. Not a Winchester Model 70, just a plain old 700 BDL.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln