Product Names Question/Tool Recommendation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Product Names Question/Tool Recommendation

Post by Griff »

I'm at the point in fitting my stock & buttplate where guessing will cost me a new buttstock blank.

I tried searching for "prussian blue" but, didn't come up with current products, just what it was. So, what is the liquid stuff that you paint on one of a mating surface to transfer the color to any high spots on the other one?

And for you woodworker types, what bench mounted belt sander would you recommend in the $150 range? I've got lotts of excess wood to remove and 4 more stocks to go. Plus it'd be nice for the X-Sticks I make.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Product Names Question/Tool Recommendation

Post by GoatGuy »

Griff wrote: ...I tried searching for "prussian blue" but, didn't come up with current products, just what it was. So, what is the liquid stuff that you paint on one of a mating surface to transfer the color to any high spots on the other one? LIPSTICK, at least that was what my muzzleloader building/restorer mentor had me use when I was building my .40 cal. full length stock, caplock during the summer of 1980.
And for you woodworker types, what bench mounted belt sander would you recommend in the $150 range? Never owned a belt sander, so I would recommend several different sized wood rasps. Again that's what I used on that '80 build and other subsequent wood projects. Takes longer obviously, but you sure can see where you're going and seems like less chance for a train wreck! I've got lotts of excess wood to remove and 4 more stocks to go. Plus it'd be nice for the X-Sticks I make. Can't help you about x sticks from your excess wood, never fooled with them. Interesting conundrum though, that last.
John
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Griff I use a farriers rasp alot of wood use the course side then the fine side when I get it close I finish with a fine cut file then with sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood the lipstick works good to for high spots in the cut out areas. danny
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Prussian Blue, aka "Machinist's Blue Dye", aka "layout dye".

FWIW, I just clamp a $39.95 belt sander in a bench vise, by the handle, for stock sanding.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Treebone stocks uses Jerrows Inlet Black.
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

smoke the parts with a candle to fit.

a sander like this will do an awful lot of tasks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-3 ... Kgod9Hx0nw
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BigSky56 wrote:Griff I use a farriers rasp alot of wood use the course side then the fine side when I get it close I finish with a fine cut file then with sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood the lipstick works good to for high spots in the cut out areas. danny
Danny, I worked long & hard on getting my rasping skills to do "flat & square," I habe no confidence in getting a graceful curve where they're needed! :P :oops:
Pete44ru wrote:Prussian Blue, aka "Machinist's Blue Dye", aka "layout dye".FWIW, I just clamp a $39.95 belt sander in a bench vise, by the handle, for stock sanding.
Pete, I woulda bet money thatGoogle woulda found that! Good idea on the belt sander in a vise!
kimwcook wrote:Treebone stocks uses Jerrows Inlet Black.
Kim, Probably not found at Lowe's! :P I'll check out our Ace store, they have some very unusual stuff!
Pokey, that's the other name I was trying to think of, "lamp black". And yes, the 3" version is one I'm considering!
And Goatguy, that has to be some of the best "outside-the-box" thinkin' I've encountered this year! I can hear the gears whinin' in overdrive if I was to ask her for some lipstick! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Griff - Outside the box maybe, but simple and effective. Even BigSky seems to hold the rasps and lipstick in some regard. Learning to correctly use a rasp isn't real difficult. A complete novice could spend no more than a couple of hours and get the beginnings of the hang of it. As for the lipstick, don't know if I've ever known a woman who didn't have a bathroom drawer with a collection of half used lipstick tubes in it. If your afeered to ask, just "borrow" one; ...she'll never miss it! :wink:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You can find Prussian Blue wherever they sell art supplies.. It is simply an oilpaint color, and comes in tubes of various sizes, like toothpaste.. A little goes a long ways, and it gives good color transfer, even when lightly applied, as it should be..

Lipstick will work, but is far messier than prussian blue, and due to extra oils and emollients, may soak into the wood more than is desirable...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I use Jerrows Inletting Black because it doesn't soak into the wood like some layout blues do.
For sanding I use one of these
The belt can be used vertically or horizontally. I fit mine with zirconium belts and discs so I can use it on metals.
Not sure if the Clarke brand is sold in the US but I expect Harbor Freight have something similar.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Jerrows Inlet Black from Brownells. You can use lipstick in a pinch but be careful with it it smears easily and if it gets all over the stock it looks bad. :wink: