John Browning Winchesters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

John Browning Winchesters

Post by Shrapnel »

I have been fortunate enough to get a couple Browning Brothers guns. The first is an 1886 in 40-65. It was made in 1887, the second year of production. It is used, but still in good shape. It has the Browning Bros stamp on the barrel and sports a single set trigger, which is quite rare in 1886 rifles. I have taken game with it.

The second is a 30-30, in excellent shape, it has a different stamp on it as it was made and sold after Utah became a state. The 1886 was made when Utah was a territory and the stamp reflects that in the U.T. Designation. They are the third and fourth guns in the rack. I should get better pictures some day...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: John Browning Winchesters

Post by kimwcook »

You know you're driving us all crazy here, right? :D
Old Law Dawg
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

kimwcook wrote:You know you're driving us all crazy here, right? :D

It's like I've died and gone to heaven...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've made a number of trips to Missoula this year, work and personal. Maybe with a little planning one could work it out to where one could actually make sure you do have those rifles. :D
Old Law Dawg
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Well I'll be darned I didn't know/think Browning Brothers ever made the 1886, my understanding was that Winchester lawyers visited Browning to talk about patent infringments and John showed them a wooden working model of what later became known as the Winchester 1886.
Terry

Edited to add: Ok I did some digging, these Winchesters were made by Winchester and shipped to Browning brothers to sell out of their stores, this was part of the payment they received from Winchester for the patent, Browning brothers then marked these guns on the barrel with Browning Brothers Ogden U.T..
Terry
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

TMair wrote:Well I'll be darned I didn't know/think Browning Brothers ever made the 1886, my understanding was that Winchester lawyers visited Browning to talk about patent infringments and John showed them a wooden working model of what later became known as the Winchester 1886.
Terry
Actually, John Browning was already working on the 1886 when T.G. Bennett from Winchester, came to Ogden to see about buying the rights to produce the Browning single shot rifle that became the Model 1885. That is what started the relationship with Browning and Winchester. Winchester did produce the 1886, Browning Brothers were not only gun-makers, they had a store in Ogden, this is where the gun was sold. They did produce some 1878 model single shots after the initial agreement was signed and they were notified of the infringement, which stopped any production of guns for sale that were patented and sold to Winchester.

The unique aspect of all of this is simply that John Browning not only designed this gun, he actually handled it in his shop and sold it...

1894c

Post by 1894c »

kimwcook wrote:You know you're driving us all crazy here, right? :D
+1 what he said..! thank you for the post--I think... :)
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Shrapnel wrote: The unique aspect of all of this is simply that John Browning not only designed this gun, he actually handled it in his shop and sold it...
That's quite a treasure! 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

That is pretty neat to think that he not only made that gun but handled it and sold it in his own store. What a neat piece of history.