Elk Depredation hunt??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Elk Depredation hunt??

Post by draperjojo »

Talked to a rancher with too many elk on his property and some depredation tags to fill. I was hoping to get on his list for next years hunt and he said I may have something for you and your son in December, plus we'll put you on the list for next year.....SWEET!!!. That's a Christmas present. I hope I get the phone call!! Let's see...iron sighted 45-70, scoped 30-30, or if the distance calls for it....one of the bolt guns......be nice to start the new year with elk in the freezer..
1894c

Re: Elk Depredation hunt??

Post by 1894c »

that's a real nice problem to have--this may be a real dumb question so i apologize right up front--have you actually taken an ELK with a 30/30? i would think it would be possible within "limitations", but never knew anyone who had done so, just wondering... :)
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

rjf415 wrote:that's a real nice problem to have--this may be a real dumb question so i apologize right up front--have you actually taken an ELK with a 30/30? i would think it would be possible within "limitations", but never knew anyone who had done so, just wondering... :)
Yes the 30/30 is quite capable of taking an elk. 8)
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

harry wrote:Yes the 30/30 is quite capable of taking an elk.
I never shot an elk with anything, but the experts always say it is:
  • 1. shot placement first,
    2. bullet construction next, then
    3. energy
A .30-30 can do the first two, certainly.
The 'flatter' shooting cartridges require less range/trajectory precision, and can have more energy, though.

I'll bet lots of elk have fallen to the .30-30, even though it wouldn't be most people's first choice.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Mt dad shot a HUGE 7x6 with an old 1894 Winchester 30-30 rifle in the early 50's. He shot it 3 times in the front shoulder, all which got into the boilermaker. The bull didn't fall as a result of those shots though. His partner shot at it with a 30-06 and hit the horn about 3" above the skull. The bull dropped like a rock and a final shot at point blank range into the neck finished him. Soon after that, he bought a surplus Springfield A3-03 and hunted with that for the rest of his life. After that experience, he always held to the belief that a 30-30 was not enough gun for an elk sized animal.

On the other hand, I know of a guy who shot a moose with his 30-30 carbine. The 30-30 can do the job, but there are other options that increase the odds of making a clean shot and a quick, humane kill.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Earl Durand did all his poaching with a .30 WCF (.30-30) rifle. Just sayin'...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Wonder what the Indians think of this Thread ? "Crazy Paleface, can't kill Elk with smoke stick, Needum Bow and Arrow."
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

pwl44m wrote:Wonder what the Indians think of this Thread ? "Crazy Paleface, can't kill Elk with smoke stick, Needum Bow and Arrow."
Perry
Yep. :lol: As to the .30 WCF, it has even been used out of the 10" Contender to kill elk.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Hobie wrote:Earl Durand did all his poaching with a .30 WCF (.30-30) rifle. Just sayin'...
Thanks for your blog link Hobie.
Spent a good hour reading up on Durand.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hobie wrote:
pwl44m wrote:Wonder what the Indians think of this Thread ? "Crazy Paleface, can't kill Elk with smoke stick, Needum Bow and Arrow."
Perry
Yep. :lol: As to the .30 WCF, it has even been used out of the 10" Contender to kill elk.
The 30/30, neither flat-shooting or accurate enough for varmints, barely adequate for small deer, :roll: AND YET put it in a 10"-14" single shot pistol, and it is good enough for silhouettes to 300 metres and powerful enough for moose and elk to 200 yards :lol: Hope you and your son have good hunt and luck.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Having hunted elk for years, and see them run off with a well placed shot from a .30-06 or a .270, I'd not want to use a .30-30 myself. Not that it couldn't take an elk, but they're tough animals, and often take several shots even with more powerful cartridges than the .30-30.
The .30-30 would be even less effective at 200 yds. It's already at a disadvantage at 100 yds. or less. I love my .30-30, but it stays home at elk season.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/