Lever lockup

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Lever lockup

Post by centershot »

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying big-game season this year - and I hope you're all having more success than me! LOL! Anyway, I've discovered a slight problem with my Marlin 336 since season has started. This is the first year that the state has allowed rifles for big-game hunting in this area, so I have never used this particular rifle in cold weather. The problem is the gloves on my hands. When I try to slip my fingers into the loop, the gun unlocks. It doesn't take much downward pressure to get it to unlock so I have to be very careful to slip my hand in without disturbing the lever. I never noticed this when shooting it without gloves on, is this something that I just have to get used to or can this be remedied somehow? TIA!

Patrick
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lever lockup

Post by FWiedner »

Patrick, you can shop for and install a larger lever/loop, you can take off your glove to shoot, or you can practice, practice, practice until you get used to it.

:wink: :)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

If the lever unlocks pretty easy even without gloves on you can replace or stretch the little spring that is behind the plunger on the lever.
There are lighter aftermarket springs to make it easier to unlatch the lever, maybe someone put one of those in it.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

I don't have this problem with either one of my Marlin 1894's, so I was wondering if their was a fix to this. The gun was new when I got it, no chance of someone swapping springs out. I'll check out that plunger spring though, maybe I can get it worked out.......
J. R. R. Tolkien
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

look at the nose of the plunger as well. Might be a little file work would get ya a more positive engagement without making it too tight. My levers are used as race guns, so the plungers have been rounded and springs lightened. You want the reverse, a nice sharp "peak" to the plunger and make sure it engages squarely....
Certified gun nut
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

adirondakjack wrote:look at the nose of the plunger as well. Might be a little file work would get ya a more positive engagement without making it too tight. My levers are used as race guns, so the plungers have been rounded and springs lightened. You want the reverse, a nice sharp "peak" to the plunger and make sure it engages squarely....
+1, Jack nailed it. The profile & smoothness of that plunger matter alot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like you need one of the larger-loop levers - not the 'John Wayne' trick ones, but just one with a big larger opening. They are hard to find that aren't overly big, though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I have larger hands, so I normally operate the lever with the middle 2 fingers of my lever hand. My pinky rides outside the lever and slightly to the rear. Once I got used to it, I have come to prefer it. It's just an option for you to try. Try it with an UNLOADED gun mounted to your shoulder. Most of my leverguns are straight grips, but it works with pistol grips too.

Good luck, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Leverdude wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:look at the nose of the plunger as well. Might be a little file work would get ya a more positive engagement without making it too tight. My levers are used as race guns, so the plungers have been rounded and springs lightened. You want the reverse, a nice sharp "peak" to the plunger and make sure it engages squarely....
As jack understands and works with Marlins a lot more than I do, I'd trust his take on this implicitly.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Griff wrote:
Leverdude wrote:
As jack understands and works with Marlins a lot more than I do, I'd trust his take on this implicitly.
It all depends what the problem is, if it`s his big hands with gloves on that`s causing the lever to pop open nothing shy of tying it shut will help other than a bigger lever loop or longer like i did to mine. If it`s a spring or plunger shape issue then that`s the fix, simple.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

Thanks guys, I'll check it out!

Patrick
J. R. R. Tolkien