What kind of reloading press do you have?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

What kind of reloading press do you have?

Post by getitdone1 »

After posting my "How much shooting do you do" post and some of you shoot so much it got me wondering about your reloading machinery.

I suppose most of you guys that shoot a lot use a Dillon press. Is there a particular model of Dillon progressive press that seems to be most popular? What's it sell for? Can you use Lee dies with the Dillon?

If I continue shooting as much as I have in recent months I may be interested in a Dillon press. I've never had a progressive or turrent type press and with age time to do things becomes more important.

Came back to add I've had several "C" and "O" type presses. First was a Herters around 1963, next was an RCBS Junior?, next was a Pacific and now I have the least expensive of all, a simple Lee Challenger kit. I've gone to a digital powder measure (great improvement) and have around a dozen sets of Lee dies.

Both of my parents are now gone but I'll always remember my dad helping me build my first reloading bench out of 2x4s and 2x6s. White oak and at least 2" thick. My dad never cared for guns. Just one more reason to cherish the memory.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What kind of reloading press do you have?

Post by Pitchy »

All my stuff is old Lyman, it was a package deal, turret press.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Lee turret press. I love it. Not quite as fast as a Dillon, but there are aspects of it I like better. It's very easy to use as a single stage press for loading rifle cartridges. I also use a Lee powder measure, and a Lyman lube/sizer.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Dillon RL 550B - great press - love it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bonanza Co-AX. I have two of them. Best press I've ever owned or used. Since getting them my RCBS presses have stayed in their boxes unused.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The one that gets the most use is my Lyman T-Mag, but I also have two RCBS Rockchuckers, An RCBS Partner and my first press an old Texan C-Press. They are all mounted on my bench and all have at least an occasional use. The Partner is mostly used to deprime brass; the Texan just so I don't forget where I started. The Lyman does all of my handgun loading, the two Rockchuckers are used together sort of as a progressive when loading rifle cartridges.

My nephew has been after me to follow him down the Dillon road but I have resisted because I actually do enjoy handloading and am not ready to make it as automatic as the Dillon would make it.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Dillon XL650 with casefeeder. I use a Dillon trimmer on my case prep toolheads for .223/5.56, 308 Winchester, and 30-06 Springfield. It's a great setup for both high volume pistol and lower volume, precision rifle.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

check out this thread,

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ox#p423375

then search this site, lots o' info. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mostly I use a Dillion 550. I have an old Lyman (my first press) turret that is set up now only for .44 mag. I don't shoot alot of it, and it's kinda nice to slow down and load one round at a time.

Switching calibers isn't a big deal, but sometimes I'd like to have presses set up for each caliber. But then I'd need a bigger room, and a much bigger reloading budget. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

lyman and lee turret presses really like the lee also lyman 310. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Presses... as in plural.

2 Dillon 550Bs - one set for large primers and one for small.

RCBS "RockChucker" - for those big BP cases (.40-90SBN, .45-70Gov't, .30-06 & 7mmRM)

RCBS "RC II" - for smaller rifle cases

Lyman "Spartan" - for my portable setup

Lee Hand Press - for decapping my BP brass before it goes into solution and for fixing those seating "error" that I didn't find out about until I got to the range... Don't ask me how I found that out! Let's just say, you do know the 1873 rifle is VERY OAL sensitive, don't you?

2 MEC 600Jr.s - one for 12ga and one for 20.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Listed in order of most used..

1. RCBS A2
2. Redding Turret (handgun)
3. Pacific Super C
4. Herters U-3
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Sold most of my old stuff to keep living. Down to one brand new RC IV Supreme (warranty replacement), one Lee turret for pistol stuff, 5 MECs, one 20 ga. lyman easy shotshell loader (insanely good) & one CH Shotshell Master (C.1963).

I'm so crazy about reloading I adore case trimming...even! 8) Ya'll prolly think I'm looney, tool crazy as well.

I prefer to batch load so a progressive isn't needed. You can imagine me as the mad scientist chortling over my latest loads.

I guess I'm old school...and I like it. Not in a rush anymore, just take my time.....

LB
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

An old Dillion 550 for pistol ammunition; Redding Turret for rifle.

A note on the Dillion. I de-prime on the Redding, next clean the primer pockets, then re-prime via a Lee hand priming tool. I have a better feel for when the primer "bottoms out" with the Lee.

When I cast grease groove bullets for my Black Powder Catridge Rifles (BPCR), I kept the RCBS Rock Chucker set up to size the pan lubed bullets. Now, it does not see much use as I shoot Paper Patch bullets in the BPCRs.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have three. The best is an RCBS Rockchucker.
Also an old RCBS Junior I bought new in about 64. A Lee hand Press that has never been used. :wink:
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Rcbs rockchucker for rifle ammo and a Dillon Suare deal for all my short rifles :wink:
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I use a RCBS Rockchucker for my rifle ammo and a Lyman All American turret press for most of my handgun ammo. I've used both of these presses for 40 years without complaint.

I have a Dillon Square Deal press also but it is too much of a PITA to change calibers so it gets set up for 38/357 and is rarely changed.

I also have a RCBS Ammo Master for heavy case forming.

I will probably retire the Lyman AA soon and buy a Lee Classic Cast turret press to replace it.

Jack
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I use a dillon 650 and a redding T7 turret press.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

A Dillon RL450/550 hybrid, Lyman Orange Crusher and two RCBS Rockchuckers. Oh, and the Lee Loadmaster used to hold the door open.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a Ponsness Warren Metallic II that I got new 25 years ago . Thats about the only rifle reloader I use except when I load 505 Gibbs and I use a CH4D "Heavy Duty Champion Press" .

Only shotgun loader I have at the moment is a MEC 600 JR 10 gauge with a short kit so I can load 2 7/8" shells !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Dillon 550b for pistol rounds.

Hollywood Gun Shop (Grandpa's) for rifle ammo.
Reason # 1 is that it was Granpa's and #2 that it is a Big, heavy precision piece of equipment!

Lee hand Press for just having fun and several Lee Loaders "just because".

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Older Lyman Turret bought used with three turrets. I like being able to just swap turrets and not mess with the dies.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Here's my set-up.

The single-stage press is pretty slow so if I need more than a 100-rounds at a time or more, I'll load 50 a day until I've got what I need.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I use a Dillion 550B for all of the rifle and pistol used in CAS. I reload all shotshells in a Mec. While I can reload rifle ammo (45-70, and 30-06 etc.) on the Dillion, I usually reload that stuff on an old Lee hand press.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

jhrosier wrote:I use a RCBS Rockchucker for my rifle ammo and a Lyman All American turret press for most of my handgun ammo. I've used both of these presses for 40 years without complaint.

I have a Dillon Square Deal press also but it is too much of a PITA to change calibers so it gets set up for 38/357 and is rarely changed.

I also have a RCBS Ammo Master for heavy case forming.

I will probably retire the Lyman AA soon and buy a Lee Classic Cast turret press to replace it.

Jack
When you decide to sell the lyman AA...I want first dibs...

LB
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I have tow RCBS Rockchuckers, one is set up with a Piggyback II for pistol ammo, some people don't really like the Piggyback, but once you get used to it, it works pretty well, well enough for me to keep using it. The second is set up for reloading rifle cartriges, I have to Mec Jr.s one for reloading 10 ga. and the other for 12, and one Lee progressive reloader that I used when I was shooting trap.
Terry
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Dillon 550B for SASS stuff and some other pistol and rifle calibers. Have a couple of old Herters presses for all the smaller batches. One of the Herters is set up for 45-70/90 head size and the other stays mostly set up for 06 head size stuff. I use and old MEC for shot shells and even use it to compress the ffg in my brass shot shells.

I deprime all the SASS brass by hand with a Lee Loadall set-up, even made my own similar tools for the 12 gauge brass. They then get washed in hot water with a little detergent and vinegar, thoroughly rinsed and dried before going in the tumbler, (Midway) with walnut shells and polish.

I think I have dies by almost every maker there has ever been plus some custom, (6.5-06 AI). All seem satisfactory.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dillon XL 650
RCBS RockChucker
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lee 4-hole Turret for:
  • 'developing' about any load -
    • the 'Pro-Disk' powder measure makes it SO easy to reproduce/increment charges, and
      the Lee Turret makes it easy to just load 10 to 100 of something quickly...
    cartridges I shoot hundreds of every year or so
    • for me that would include .30-30 & .45 Colt, mostly out of leverguns...
      someday I'd like it to be .444 Marlin, too, and maybe .45-70...
    the 'per-cartridge' setup is just a $10 turret insert, plus the dies you already have
Dillon RL-550 for:
  • cartridges I shoot thousands of every year or so
    • for me that's .44 Mag & .357 Mag, & .38 Special, mostly out of leverguns
      someday I'd like it to be .45 ACP, too, and maybe .223...
    the 'per-cartridge' toolhead & shellholder is way more expensive than with the Lee Turret
RCBS Rockchucker for:
  • cartridges I shoot rarely,
    • like .357 Maximum (all I have is a Contender barrel in it)
      cartridges like the .444 Marlin & .45-70; there isn't much to shoot with them around here
      cartridges I load 'meticulously' (for me) - like .6mm Rem with Lee Collet Dies
      hopefully I'll soon be loading .218 Bee and .375 Win on the RCBS after I 'develop' them on the Lee... 8)
    the 'per-cartridge' setup for the Rockchucker is, well. . . nothing. . . 8)
Lee 'Hand-Press' for:
  • pretty much all de-capping
    • it's the ONE reloading thing you can safely do while watching a movie, and
      I prefer to do it before cleaning/tumbling the brass
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

a mec for 12 gauge
a lyman turret next to that
a rcbs rockchucker
a lyman 45o sizer luber
and a dillon 550b all mounted to the bench at the same time and all used for different stuff
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

I think AJMD429 might have the "best" set up.

I have the Dillion 550 and love it for high volume loading. The draw back is it is expensive to buy a tool head and caliber conversion. Rifle cartriges are a two stage process if you really want to do it right. I don't think it is the most fun to adjust either.

Next to the 550 is a rockchucker. You can't go wrong for test loads and for volume resizing jobs. I shoot NRA Highpower rifle. All the rifle brass get sized and deprimed on the rockchucker then prepped and then fed to the 550.

I have never played with the Lee but the price is right and the conversions are cheap. A guy at work who is the cheapest guy it the wold is saving his pennies for one after reserching it for months.

Hope that helps.

Chris
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Does anyone make an especially accurate powder measure?

Don
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

getitdone1 wrote:Does anyone make an especially accurate powder measure?

Don
Yes. My ancient Redding #3 is especially accurate with many fine grained powders. But it's also not so accurate with big flake and extruded powders.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I notice some of you are going from a Dillon to a single stage press for your rifle cartridges. Is the Dillon powder measure accurate? Won't the Dillon press do it all well?

In case some of you, like me, are wondering.....I went to the Dillon site and they say any standard 7/8x14 dies will work in their presses.

Don
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

RCBS AII for most of the time.

Hornady Lock-n-load progressive for when I finally get a load into production.

Redding BR-30 powder measure -- it's so much better than Mr. Hornady's measures there is no comparison. Which slows down the progressive thing a bit. The Hornady pistol drum throws ball powder well enough that I use it for 44s & 357s but I have given up on Hornady measures for rifle. Doesn't throw a close enough charge to make me happy. If I hear you Dillon fellows telling us your measure throws +/- .1 grain charges I'm gonna' know I bought wrong.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I weigh all the charges separately but when I didn't for a test with the Dillon on 270s it did not seem to make any difference in accuracy - go figure but I still went back to weighing. Now that is rifle I am talking about - pistol, I don't.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The measure that comes on the Dillon 550B is VERY accurate, maybe almost as good as you didn't want me to tell you but good enough for me. I even use it for black powder, (I'm just not worried about static blowing me up).

I also have an old, (very old) Herters measure with my home made adjuster. Has a barrel to hold powder with an adjustable threaded insert with gnurled lock nut. Easy to set and absolutely repeatable. I only weigh about every 10th charge. This one has a piece of exhaust pipe for the powder hopper since the clear plastic hopper died of old age years ago.

Still use the Lyman 450 sizer lubricator but wish I had a Star. Maybe I'll build me one with a mechanism kinda like Pitchy's can crusher. Had one kinda like that but the bullet feeder was only good for .358 dia. so it went away.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

getitdone1 wrote:I went to the Dillon site and they say any standard 7/8x14 dies will work in their presses.
On the RL-550B this is true, and their 'larger' presses, but the 'Square Deal' one uses prioprietary Dillon dies only available in 'pistol' calibers.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Lee 4 hole turret. I use the Lee Precision Powder measure for my pistol rounds and I individually weigh my rifle charges on a simple Lee balance beam measure.
My only complaint with the Lee is the case holders seem to be a little sloppy at times, but that is probably just me.

Walt
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have 2 press's. An el'cheapo Lee and a Lee handpress. The only one I've used for the past 1 1/2 years is the handpress.

I've thought about buying a Lee turrent press but I'm lacking a dedicated bench and well......... What I have works.

LK
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I see where one of you mentioned owning a Hollywood press. Wasn't there (maybe still is) also a Star press and it and the Hollywood fell into the "ultimate category?" Well, at least ultimate years ago. I'm just guessing on some of this and welcome more accurate info regarding these two brands.

Wasn't the Hollywood the ultimate previous to Dillon?

Don
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I too use an older RCBS Rockchucker. I like the Redding T7 turret press though, and Redding is still made in the USA. RCBS presses are now coming from China.
Earl's Hornady progressive is an outstanding system.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

RCBS Rock Chucker from the late 70s.
Lyman Hand Press from the late 80s.
HDS Compac Hand Press
Three Dillon SDB progressives
12 or 14 different sets of 310 tool dies and handles

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Truth be known I have six presses .....
Bonanza Co-Ax = 2
RCBS Rockchucker II = 1
RCBS Partner = 1
Lee ? model = 1
Lee Hand press =1

Truth be known I haven't used any of them in a long time. :cry: :(

Joe
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Same old Rockchucker I've had for years. I don't shoot competitively and prefer to weigh and load each round individually, so this works fine for my purposes.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Lee turret, RCBS rock chucker and a shelf full of the old Lee Loaders.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

The same RCBS Rockchucker I've used to 33 years with zero problems.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

D 550
RockChucker
3 ancient Lymans, all of which I like despite oddball rams
Lee turret, which I dislike
310's
2 Lee Hand loaders dedicated to dedicated to depriming & universal belling
several Classic Lee loaders

I'd throw 'em all away except for the Lee Classics
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I just purchased a Ponsness-Warren 375 for my 10 bore, 3 1/2" sxs so I might add versatility to its functionality. Ammo variations for the 10 bore are next to nill outside of magnum turkey loads or duck and geese loads. I plan to down load it for everything. The 10 bore use to be the all around shotgun but the 12 has replaced that. I want to bring that title back to mine and plan to use it for upland game and birds as well as turkey, migratory birds and maybe even deer and hogs. :wink:

For the 45-70 and the .44 mag, I have a lyman hand press that I use to load in stages. I used to have a dillon but sold it when I consolidated my reloadable calibers to three, which don't get shot that much. Most of my shooting is either rimfire, shotgun, or black powder so I felt a hand press was the way to go for my limited shooting of reloadable ammo.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Modoc ED wrote:Here's my set-up.

The single-stage press is pretty slow so if I need more than a 100-rounds at a time or more, I'll load 50 a day until I've got what I need.
The bullet puller still in the pkg???? Showoff :D