Skinner sight question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Skinner sight question

Post by silverbuzzard »

I have a 1894 cowboy limited.
Am looking at the Skinner Express in brass , or the black gold one , boy it is purty.
Anyway, anyone have one so I can get an opinion about the "carry qualities" . Do you notice the extra height in your hand when carrying the gun in a hunting situation?

Second choice is a Lyman tang but I think I prefer the Skinner
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Skinner sight question

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a Skinner receiver mounted peep on my 1894SS .44 mag. Very low profile and nice sight.
Don`t know if that is the same one as the Express you talk of or not. I think of Express sights as a shallow flat topped open rear sight with a possible folding leaf that is used in conjunction with a large post or bead front sight for fast close in shooting. :?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have a Skinner receiver mounted peep on my 1894SS .44 mag. Very low profile and nice sight.
Same here. No issues with carrying at all, for me anyway. (Wish they had offered stainless when I got mine. :| )

I looked at Skinner's website and saw the Express sights. They look pretty fine and sit even lower than the regular Skinner.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Normac
Levergunner

Post by Normac »

I just put one on my Henry Golden Boy 22 in brass and it fits + looks well and shoots easier for my daughter.
I addition I just ordered a blue one for my NEW... Miroku/Winchester 92 trapper takedown which I just picked up today

Well pleased with the service from Andy at Skinner
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have one on a 336 - no issues at all.
They are very unobtrusive.

-Stretch
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Guess I have been dragging 94's around too long because I can easily tell the difference between pre-64, post-64 and angle ejects by feel alone. Receiver sights have never bothered me though.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm laughing but not at you. We often see the question of how anyone can use a receiver sight because "it hangs out there" or "it sticks way out the side" while ignoring that the tang sight is really more of a protuberance. Nobody ever asks about the XS or Skinner sights (or similarly mounted Williams Guide Receiver Sight). Nobody ever asks about the issue (OEM) open sight on the barrel either but I have known those to "grab" vines and grasses. The Skinner is a good product which major weakness seems to be limitations in vertical adjustment. It is less likely than even the issue open sight to grab anything because of its shape.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

During my recent trip to South Africa, the guide borrowed my guide gun while we trailed a wounded zebra. He said that he liked the short, handy rifle with the peep sight. It is a Skinner sight. The rifle performed very well a couple of days later on a blue wildebeest. The Skinner sight did not grab any brush or have even one problem to report.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost