anybody cast for the 32 ws

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

anybody cast for the 32 ws

Post by fordwannabe »

I got a 1908 vintage model 1894 in 32 winchester special, I have gotten brass, have appropriate powders, primers ect, even have some jacketed bullets, but I would really like to try some cast boolits in it. But before I buy a mould I would like to try it out first. if any of you cast for it or have commercial cast bullets I would gladly pay or trade ww or pure lead, for a hundred or so. Just trying here as castboolits website got no responses. Thanks guys. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: anybody cast for the 32 ws

Post by shooter »

I am somewhat unfamiliar with the cartridge. Does it use the same diameter as .32 H&R?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I'll cast you up some RCBS 32-170-FN and send them. Do you need them sized, lubed and gas checked? If so, do you want 50/50 Alox 2138F/Beeswax or LBT Blue?

PM me your addy. It will probably be next week before I can get to it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have some 170 grainers that came out of an old Ideal mold. They work great in my 32 Special, just crimp on one of the driving bands. (The mold was designed for the 32-40 but the bullet has proven itself in multiple 32 Specials). PM me with an address and some will be on their way within the week.

Eric
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

shooter wrote:I am somewhat unfamiliar with the cartridge. Does it use the same diameter as .32 H&R?
shooter,

The 32 WS or Winchester Special is a full sized rifle cartridge introduced in the 1894 Winchester.
Picture in your mind a 30 WCF (30-30) then up the bullet size to .321" or so. They are so close in size that even side by side it's sometimes hard to tell them apart.

The 32WS being a full size rifle cartridge is far larger than the 32 WCF (32-20) or any of the 32 caliber pistol cartridges. I'm not sure what bullet size the 32 H&R uses so I really can't answer that part of your question.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

If you have clearance problems with the RCBS 170 as far as cambering I have a Accurate mold that was made for my 32-40 Winchesters that just kisses the rifling. I believe it is 32170B on Tom's web site, it is gas checked and was cut to my specs. I also have the ranch dog 170GC. I still have not even shot my Win 64 in 32 Spl.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks for all the replys. I have a couple of guys who have said they will send me some. Great group of guys.
Marvin how do you like the ranchdog(if you shot it in something besides your model 64).
Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

It will not chamber in any of my 32-40's or the 32WS. I have the same version in 30cal that works fine in my 1950's mfg 94win 30-30.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

J Miller wrote:
shooter wrote:I am somewhat unfamiliar with the cartridge. Does it use the same diameter as .32 H&R?
shooter,

The 32 WS or Winchester Special is a full sized rifle cartridge introduced in the 1894 Winchester.
Picture in your mind a 30 WCF (30-30) then up the bullet size to .321" or so. They are so close in size that even side by side it's sometimes hard to tell them apart.

The 32WS being a full size rifle cartridge is far larger than the 32 WCF (32-20) or any of the 32 caliber pistol cartridges. I'm not sure what bullet size the 32 H&R uses so I really can't answer that part of your question.

Joe
I must have been dyslexic when I read the post the first time. I could have sworn it said 32 S&W in the title. :oops:
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm just starting to tool up for my 94 in 32 Special. I've picked up a 30-30 LEE Factory Crimp Die, it was recomended multiple times as working fine on the 32, to tailor bullet location without worrying about the location of the crimp groove. The Winchesters have no real throat just a real sharp ramp where the chamber ends. They give some wiggle room by making the chamber neck considerably longer than the case neck. Personallly I found an older Ideal 32 Rem. mould for an attractive price, so I can't talk much about molds. I've done a ton of reasearch and the RCBS 170 mold or Ranch Dog are hands down the favorite molds. Lyman's have a rep for often dropping small dia. bullets.

The Marlin chamber is different and looks like it would seat similar bullets out further.
Saami spec for Winchester http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Dr ... pecial.pdf
Marlin chamber from Ranch Dog http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC ... mber01.gif

I'm sure you probably know this but the 32 WS has a 1-16 twist that is real good for cast bullet shooting. I'm starting at .323 sizing as my rifle slugs at .321. The cast gurus always recommend sizing for the throat or a little larger than the barrel to avoid leading. You want your sized bullets a couple thou larger than your barrel as a good starting point. Slugging your barrel is never a bad thing.

Note: this is exhaustive research information, I trust it but please be wary of anything I say. I have NOT fired a cast round in my 32 Special yet. I found the research for a 32 Special to be very interesting and it is a very unique and historic cartridge. The 30-30 is a fine cartridge but it ain't Special. For what its worth I'm trying to find some Hornady FTX bullets and LVR powder for my jacketed load. If my rifle likes it I got a 200 yard prairie rifle as good as a 308 in my opinion to that range (I'm a peep sight shooter and strictly limit myself to 200 yards on game). Besides as a wise man once said about long range hunting, "what's wrong with you, couldn't you sneak up any closer"!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The 190 is too long to properly stabilize in my 94.
Note the egg shaped holes in this pic.
The Lyman 170 gr. RN is a much better bullet in the .32 .
Some rifles (like mine ) have no or short throats and for that reason I cast of a soft alloy so as not to work the action too hard seating and engraving the bullet into the bore.
Super accurate it is and slick working with 50/50 lead to WW.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have some ranchdog bullets sized at 323. I have a Wrangler (16 in barrel)that I've not been able to get cast to shoot in very well. It shoots Hornady's 170's very well. If you want some let me know.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

In the 3 Marlin's I had in 32 Special and the Winchester 94 of a friend I had very good results shooting the RCBS 32-170 , the Ranch Dog 323-170GC and the Lyman 321297 .

The RD and the RCBS bullets also worked very nicely in the Marlin Model 1893 in 32-40 I used to have (never got arounf to trying the Lyman in the 32-40)!
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well Ben the RD is one of the boolits I would like to try. I'd very much appreciate some of those. Tom
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Pm me your address with how many you would like to try and I can get them into the mail next week. I might even sell the mould if you like them.
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

i don't cast but have spent some time with 32 spec cast loads. Mine is real sensitive to bullet diameter. Sized .321 bullets will keyhole, sized .322 they go in the same hole.Go figure. I shoot the 170 gr FN rcbs plain-base bullet sized .322 over 15 grs 4759. 1600 fps,minimal leading,recoil like a .22 and plenty of power to kill deer at 100 yds in a classic short,lightweight rifle with iron sights( Lyman tang sight and XS post up front. The bullets can be bought from Oregon Trail.....Mike
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I guess I always assume everyone slugs thier bore when considering using cast bullets to determine the correct size to use. Most of the time in older guns it is larger than the so called standard sizes offered. Always try to fit the bullet with about .001 to .002 interference to the bore. This is just a given that is outlined in every cast bullet manual.