OT-Movie Recommendations, 2 excellent films

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

OT-Movie Recommendations, 2 excellent films

Post by shooter »

On Saturday we had parents' night out at church. The church provides childcare for the night, and this time is often used for Sunday School fellowships. Our class went to see Courageous. If you haven't seen it, you need to. It is one of the best movies I've ever seen, period. This is one of those things that can seriously make you take a hard look at yourself. It is made by Sherwood Baptist Church, the same church that made Facing the Giants and Fireproof. If you aren't familiar with their work, here's a link to their website. http://www.sherwoodpictures.com/

The second movie is Country Strong. I don't keep up with movies much these days and had never heard of it till my wife and I were browsing through the on demand section on our cable box. It is an excellent movie. I think it's kind of ironic that it's partially about sticking to your roots in music and don't conform to the mainstream pop country culture, yet Tim McGraw plays a part in the movie, and he's about as pop country as you can get. He does a good job in the movie, however. What impressed me the most was that they got actors that also performed the songs in the movie. Garrett Hedlund plays one of the characters, and I was really impressed with his voice. He should quit acting and pursue a music career.

If y'all haven't seen either one of these movies I strongly recommend both of them.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Movie Recommendations, 2 excellent films

Post by w30wcf »

Shooter,
I had heard that Courageous was a very good family movie. Thank you for the post. I am planning to see it soon.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks for the heads up! Will look for those...
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I second Shooter's recommendation of COURAGEOUS. Went last Saturday night with our church group. It's a must see, if you have kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews or if you are involved with kids in anyway from toddlers thru adult. It is a must see.
UNITE
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I absolutely AGREE with the above comments on courageous. I truly went into the movie expecting a Chick flick, not so. If anything it is a guy flick (even has a shootout, no leverguns though), but as a christian man it made me step back and reaffirm the things I believe, and need to do as the head of my household, the step father on my teenager, and the uncle to 9 little boys and girls. If you could sit throught that movie and not slobber up the front of your shirt, watch it again cause you missed something. I am taking my son next weekend. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

fordwannabe, my sentiments exactly. I don't even have kids and I felt moved tremendously by the film. It was one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had watching a movie. The only thing I can think of that rivals it was watching The Passion of the Christ for the first time. While I don't theologically agree with Mel Gibson, and caught some subtle and not so subtle little tidbits of his own he added, I still love that movie.

On the other hand, Courageous is spot on about fatherhood, and nails on the head exactly what is a major part of the problems in this country. It is definitely a movie for a man's man.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams