Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ok men, time for a regular topic.

How good does your 336 shoot in 30/30?

I need to change my Rem 700 sps tac for something I can shoot from the shoulder with ease.

Being smallish I have allways struggled with production rifles, chunky stocks and LOP to long etc, thats where my love of levers started, they fit me!

A Marlin is close to me, had one years ago, trigger was easy to fix, but it did not seem to fit like a Win 94. Fusy I know but I do like a rifle to shoulder real easy.

Got any target pictures anyone?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 336

Post by 2ndovc »

Don't have a photo of any targets but my little Model 30TK (336) is a great little rifle.
Seems to preferr the 170 gr. bullets by just a bit.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I don't have a target picture either but my early '70s vintage 336C in 30-30 will group under 3" at 100 yards with any factory ammo that I have tried and 1 1/2" with 170gr Hornady handloads and 3031 is not unusual.

And, Jason... that Super Blackhawk is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

damienph wrote:
And, Jason... that Super Blackhawk is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

:D

Thanks! I had it worked over by Mr. Hamilton Bowen after I got divorced. I wanted to spend an obnoxious
amout of money on something just because I could! Thought about several different guns but then remembered the old and really worn SBH I'd picked up at a show and only fired a few times as I didn't like the 7" barrel.

Its turned out to be my "Perfect Packin' Sixgun"!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Jason, nice photo :D

Damienph, is that shooting off hand? How is it sighted?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

My 336 is a Prima Donna.

I've said it before :-) After much experimentation I learned that it wants the ogive 28 thou off the lands.

Once I do that... 2 inches, five shots, at 100m (or yards, close enough), repeatably.

Anything else, 5" + no worries.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Currently I have 2 336 .30-30s, both with receiver sights. Either will shoot any factory ammo, any bullet weight, in to less than 3" at 100 yards when benchrested -- both will do about 1.5" with the factory loads they like, Remington 170 gr. in one and Federal 170 gr. in the other. Offhand, well, it's me, not the gun, but still either is easily "minute-of-deer" accurate at 100 yards. I have better "battle rifles", but either one would do its share of damage in a battle scenario, for sure.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Retro wrote:My 336 is a Prima Donna.

I've said it before :-) After much experimentation I learned that it wants the ogive 28 thou off the lands.

Once I do that... 2 inches, five shots, at 100m (or yards, close enough), repeatably.

Anything else, 5" + no worries.
Now thats worth remembering, thanks.
Pisgah wrote:Currently I have 2 336 .30-30s, both with receiver sights. Either will shoot any factory ammo, any bullet weight, in to less than 3" at 100 yards when benchrested -- both will do about 1.5" with the factory loads they like, Remington 170 gr. in one and Federal 170 gr. in the other. Offhand, well, it's me, not the gun, but still either is easily "minute-of-deer" accurate at 100 yards. I have better "battle rifles", but either one would do its share of damage in a battle scenario, for sure.
Thanksd Pisgah.

So come on guy's how about the off hand shooting?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Why not just restock the 700?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Don't know if You saw this before but I would expect any 336 to shoot as well as this. Mine is nothing special and being two years old is far from the golden age of Marlin.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 98#p429598
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Nath wrote:Jason, nice photo :D

Damienph, is that shooting off hand? How is it sighted?

N.

Nath, I wish that I could say that it is offhand but the groups are from a sandbag rest on a bench. It is fitted with a Williams FP receiver sight.

Damien
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have a 1977 336 in 30-30 with a Leupold 1.75 x 6 on top. 1 1/2 " groups all day long. It will do an inch with my handload of 170 grain Hornady pushed by 28.5 grains 3031. Extremely accurate little Rifle. I believe they are the perfect rifle for the close range scoped fanatics. It shoulders perfect, and balances nice for the offhand shots I have to make from a tree stand. When I do any hunting from the ground I grab my Winchesters.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nath,

Never owned a 336, but I've shot a few. Those with the pistol grip stock pounded my cheek to the point of flinching and bruises. Something to do with the shape and height of the comb. Those with the straight grip stock fit almost like my Winchester 94s and I can shoot them all day long.

I concur with MrMurphy though, why not restock or refit the stock of the 700 to fit you?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Don't hardly shoot my .30-30s at targets once they're zeroed. My second is a Texan and shoots as well as the first which was an SC. Neither are afflicted with the cross-bolt fixture. I would expect nothing more than 2 MOA from them. FWIW, the .35 Rem Texan seems to do about the same, 1.5-2 MOA.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here's 100 yds off of sticks with open sights using different kinds of ammo, and as you can see anywhere from 1.5" to 3" groups:
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I am not surprised when a 336 in 30-30 will shoot into 1.5 " off bags. I have seen them shoot better but it can sound like lying. Many will surprise you.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

My 336ss 2007 Manufacture with a leopold VX 3 will shoot dead on. 1.5 inch groups all day long
with remy 170 grain core locs. Possibly one of my most accurate guns. Handles nice too. :D :D :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I "had" eleven or twelve Marlin's in 30-30 about 2 years ago .

Several were set up purely to hunt with scopes etc . But 6 of them got worked over on the bench with the Ranch Dog 311-165GC and XMP5744 . All were fired with peep sights and used for Lever Action Metallic Silhouette . I used one Marlin 1893 of 1906 vintage a Marlin 36A of mid 40's vintage , a couple 336SC's one ballard and the other Micro , a 336ZG and a 336CB . Off the bench they all shot inside 2" for 5 shots at 100 yards with open , peep or tang sights . Offhand they did better then I did at the silhouette game LOL's !

That Marlin 336CB 30-30 with the long 24" octagon barrel and full length mag tube really laid in my hands well . ALthough the 336ZG (Zane Grey) with the 22" octagon micro groove barrel shot nicely offhand as well !
But of all those listed I had to enjoy the oldest one the most ! The Marlin Model 1893 . This one was nothing special other then it was in great shape , probably an honest 95% blueing with semi faded case color . Wood was untouched and the bore was perfect . Barrel on this one was 26" octagon and as I said the bore was clean , no blemishes or frosting and very bright .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer's 336C gives best accuracy with 150 grain loads. I don't shoot it since she had the stock cut down for her. My 336M just hasn't been shot enough for me to even call it broken in. I don't know what it prefers. :cry: I really need to give it some range time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks fellers, sounds good.

Any horror stories?

Bighar, why do you reach for the Winchesters when hunting on the ground?

I would love to restock the Rem, the thing is over here the replacement stocks are stupid money! I am still looking however.

Thanks.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I guess I have owned about two dozen Marlin 30-30s in just about every configuration over the last 15 years or so. I have had many that would group right around an inch with handloads. Just about all were 2" or better shooters, and a couple could not be coaxed into less than 3". Some of the A models with the 24" barrel and 1/2 magazine were exceptionally accurate and one CB I had was about the same. The most accurate 336 I have ever owned though is a 1961 RC plain jane in 35 Rem. You would likely not believe me if I told you the size groups it can shoot.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Hey Pard...time to learn to cut, fit & shoot to fit like Francis Sell. You already have a real good rifle with a stock that has enough wood in it. Get out the files & rasps (after you research stock fitting some). You might consider how to bend a buttstock with hot oil too. It's not hard, just smelly. Either that or trade it in on a new Marlin MXR in .308. 7mm-08 might be a bit better for where you are & would work fine in Europe or Africa if you can make the trips.

Seems to me that you have more than enough experience to accomplish said job. Who cares how it looks, if it shoots .5 inch groups & put the meat on the table or market. Stevie Ray Vaughn played the most beat up Fender Strat I've ever seen personally, yet sonically & mechanically it was first rate-it looked like it was run over by a lorry! That guitar was only just broken in, yet looked like a wreck. My guns look about the same, but they are mech. perfect & deliver the goods when I need them to. They are first class rifles & I like the worn-out look.

Best to you & yours Pard...

LB
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Nath, I use my Winchesters on the ground as they are quicker than the Marlin having no scope. When I sit up in a tree I have the chance for a 150 yard shot, and I like the scope for that purpose.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Mine will group in the 3" or a little less range at 100 yards with premium factory loads. I've seen a few that would shoot better, but most I've tried over the years were pretty much 3" rifles from a benchrest. I'm talking average group size not the rare fluke super tight groups that some guys cut out and carry around in their wallet :)
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Nath, here is my 1969 Texan shooting off a sand bag (Bull Bag)

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Used to be a fellow that shot in a lot of target matches with levers and single shots at the range. He had one of the 100 year NRA ones. Saw him shoot a couple of 1/2" sized groups with it. There you go - that Texan is right on with it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

JB wrote: I'm talking average group size not the rare fluke super tight groups that some guys cut out and carry around in their wallet :)
Are you addressing me sir? :lol:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Salvo, that is impressive shootin'. Thanks fellers for your comments.

My Rem has a Hogue overmoulded composite stock so I am limited how much I can butcher it up!

I have done the stock bending on other guns but I feel it may not work so good on this one :wink: I have however removed the deep recoil pad and made my own slimmer one, helps but not enough.

There is a range bout 50mile away, they have a 336 with brass and dies, I may suggest a run out with Mrs to there next weekend to take a look. I could shoot it there for a try only if he had some ammo in :roll:

The striaght hand stock Texan looks good :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JB wrote:Mine will group in the 3" or a little less range at 100 yards with premium factory loads. I've seen a few that would shoot better, but most I've tried over the years were pretty much 3" rifles from a benchrest. I'm talking average group size not the rare fluke super tight groups that some guys cut out and carry around in their wallet :)
Hmmm intresting !

With a Leupold 3-9 on top from the bench with factory Hornady Leverevolution ammo the 336XLR 30-30 I had would shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards in .75" !

With open , peep or tang sights from the bench at 100 yards for 5 shots my 6 Marlin's in variouse configurations avaeraged less then 2" with handloaded cast bullets (mainly the RD 311-165GC but also with several others).

The little Marlin 336Y 30-30 I had for my exwife shot Winchester 150 grain Silvertip ammo in about an inch at 100 yards for 3 shots and did a hair under 1 5/8" with the Winchester 170 grain Silvertip ammo .

Perhaps the Gun God's smile down on me each and every time I went to the range with a Marlin 30-30 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But then they must keep smiling at me when I go now with ANY of my 444's or my 45-70 (all Marlin's of course) . Because all of those will do under 2" at 100 yards with CAST BULLETS no less and low power 35+ year old scopes . And don't say I'm shooting light target loads . Everything I fool with from the bench is with the intention of killing a deer or bear as far as the big bores are concerned .
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I've owned several 336s that shot sub-MOA.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

6pt-sika wrote:
JB wrote:Mine will group in the 3" or a little less range at 100 yards with premium factory loads. I've seen a few that would shoot better, but most I've tried over the years were pretty much 3" rifles from a benchrest. I'm talking average group size not the rare fluke super tight groups that some guys cut out and carry around in their wallet :)
Hmmm intresting !

With a Leupold 3-9 on top from the bench with factory Hornady Leverevolution ammo the 336XLR 30-30 I had would shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards in .75" !

With open , peep or tang sights from the bench at 100 yards for 5 shots my 6 Marlin's in variouse configurations avaeraged less then 2" with handloaded cast bullets (mainly the RD 311-165GC but also with several others).

The little Marlin 336Y 30-30 I had for my exwife shot Winchester 150 grain Silvertip ammo in about an inch at 100 yards for 3 shots and did a hair under 1 5/8" with the Winchester 170 grain Silvertip ammo .

Perhaps the Gun God's smile down on me each and every time I went to the range with a Marlin 30-30 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But then they must keep smiling at me when I go now with ANY of my 444's or my 45-70 (all Marlin's of course) . Because all of those will do under 2" at 100 yards with CAST BULLETS no less and low power 35+ year old scopes . And don't say I'm shooting light target loads . Everything I fool with from the bench is with the intention of killing a deer or bear as far as the big bores are concerned .
I appreciate Sika's and JB's comments. I am not speaking for JB but I have to admit shooting at paper and the discipline required to be consistantly good at it I find very difficult.

I tend to work on MOfence post knot or MObird dropping on granite rock or MOrabbit :?

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Nath wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
Hmmm intresting !

I appreciate Sika's and JB's comments. I am not speaking for JB but I have to admit shooting at paper and the discipline required to be consistantly good at it I find very difficult.

I tend to work on MOfence post knot or MObird dropping on granite rock or MOrabbit :?

N :)
My comments aren't from a lack of benchrest shooting skills. I own or have owned a number of fine shooting rifles over the years (40x's Sakos, Anschutz, ect.) and still have several bolt action rifles that shoot well under 1" at 100 yards. I hunt with a Tikka 308 that will group in the 1/2" to 3/4" range with good factory loads. It's not my shooting. I just stated my experiences with the dozen of 336's I've fired off the bench over the years. I did a little shooting with one several years ago that would put factory loads it liked into 1 1/2" or so sized groups on a regular basis, but the vast majority were 3" or so rifles with factory loads. I've never bothered with loading for 30-30's. Again I'm not talking about shooting one great group and calling it a fantastic shooting rifle, I'm talking consistent average groups.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JB wrote: Again I'm not talking about shooting one great group and calling it a fantastic shooting rifle, I'm talking consistent average groups.

I'm not either !

Excellent groups are sub 1/2 MOA .

Great groups are sub 1/4 MOA .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nath wrote: Any horror stories?
Yeah, I sold one once! Seriously.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson