How many here are the do-it yourself on most things types ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

How many here are the do-it yourself on most things types ?

Post by madman4570 »

Doing several projects this week got me to thinking? Do most people do most projects themselves or do they hire most stuff these days?

Example: This week I am engaged in two seperate projects,the first is because we have this 40X12 ft enclosed screened patio attached to our living room that has concrete block walls on all three sides with the fourth side being attached to house.
This patio has a concrete floor with outdoor commercial carpet on it.Anyway, this last winter was a bear here and it was the first time for some strange reason the ground water actually seeped through spots at one end of the patio between the footer and the bottom of the first course of blocks.(bottom line,it was possible that if we were not there when this happened we could have had a swimming pool with the water coming through our sliding glass door into the living room(no where else to go---being everything concrete block 4ft high.

My quick fix back in March was to locate the lowest point of the floor(which happened to luckly be the front corner of the patio and the only side that doesn't have a sloping bank to it). I used a air chisel and made a circle sized hole though the wall/footer and the water flowed out it perfectly.Then I screened in a liitle hinged door so nothing could get into the patio.
Supposedly,almost everyone had some type snow melt/thaw problem last year and said it probably wouldn't do it again but I am not taking any chances.
Monday,by hand I dug a 40ft ditch down below the footer(what a pain)resurfaced the outside of wall with concrete/dry locked it/then installed and 40ft huge drainage pipe/gravel/creek rock landscape.(took till last night at midnight)
Saved $1500 doing it myself.

Now, today because of being talked into 15 years ago having the backside of our home being built on a treated wood wall foundation which on the backside it's only partially below grade,when it's below zero I am not satisfied with the R factor of that wall.
Rest of house is fine/concrete with 1" high density T&G polystyrene. So I am today riping off the siding/installing a air space/ new 1" high density T&G polystyrene and over that 3/4" marine plywood/tyvek and reside.(expect to complete by weekend)
Expected saving $2500 do-it myself.

Then cozy home should be (up to par) :wink:

So,who's-----------Do-it yourself guys?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How many here are the do-it yourself on most things types ?

Post by kimwcook »

There really isn't much I won't tackle, mechanical, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, concrete, etc... Being a mechanic for many a year I'm not afraid to tackle most anything. Now, sometimes due to the work, I may have someone else do it. My time at work pays me far more than what it usually takes to pay someone else to do it at home. Plus, it just seems that I just don't have the time. I just finished painting the exterior of the house and installing an outside door. Had to replace a sheet of T111 on the pump house and re-insulate it because of a woodpecker blasting a hole in the panel and tearing out the insulation. So most stuff I'll do.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I once used to build & remodel houses/homes & garages, etc - in addition to playing with my own cars, guns, & boats.

I now farm out only that which I'm PUP (physically unable to perform), since (after retirement) I've started to explore the Golden Years of medical sampling. ;)

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i am one of those people who may have parts left over after trying to change out the toilet paper roll. my fine motor skills [ for medical procedures,etc. i.e. putting a needle into your spinal canal, no matter how bad your back is, etc.] are really at the 99.9999% level, no brag just facts. but man ,calling me inept at other things is just being generous......in part it is because i hate doing that other stuff so much, but there is also a underlying cluelessness that must be acknowledged. : )
and yes i do admire and envy you guys. there are people on this forum with a range of high level skills that is just astounding.!!
cable
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I grew up too poor to "call the guy". That means over time I learned enough about concrete work and carpentry, along with auto repair, metal work, electrical, etc to build or fix most anything not involving computers. I've even done minor dental work on myself back in the day, filled a cavity with 5 minute epoxy before dentists started using it. Twenty Five years later it's still holding.
Certified gun nut
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are talking here to Captain Home Repair. But, Captain does not do all that much home repair. :) It is mostly a tongue in cheek title with some high quality jobs like installing a shelf in the laundry room. Uh, let's not be rating the level of difficulty on that one but Captain has also done some bigger jobs like putting a fence back up in a high wind with the help of a twelve year old. So, sporadic might best describe it. Hung a screen door once - great results.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Fourteen States and one Commonwealth have laws preventing me from owning hand tools :oops: :oops: I'll change the oil on the scoot, and do simple stuff, but I know better than to dig into the guts of something I value. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If I paid to have everything done, well lets just say I wouldn't be on This Forum on My meager Income. I have always done everything Myself, Home repairs even remodeling, Car repairs- everything cept Auto Trannys-I change them but not repair. Even got excited about Wankel Engines back in the 80s, complete tear down and rebuild. The whole Cars could be had for a Song (if U heard Me sing- thats cheap). Made a little money doing it. I don't do Carpet just because. I will tackle anything. Many Moons ago in an Auto AC class the Instructor told Us " if it is broke U can't hurt it" true to a certain point.
I am just on the verge of a complete Kitchen Remodel. I have the Cabinets, just need to rip everything out and commence.
My favorite quote to My Wife (of 40+yrs) is "I can make one of those" a lot cheaper.
So Yea, I'm a Handyman, not braggin, I really feel sorry for the Guy that caint tie His own shoes.
Couple pics of the Master Bdrm before and after
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I'm one of those who does things that need to be done. I can fix most anything I own (except this computer) and when I have a desire for something I generally just make it. I have worked in traditional wooden boat building, high end custom composites, and every other male in my family is a tool and die maker, machinist, or gunsmith and as a result I have learned to handle most basic machining chores.
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

I do most home repairs myself.

Built a pool deck around an above ground pool. Do most plumbing stuff myself, appliance installations, etc (dishwasher, water heater, etc). Just finished a near complete remodel of our master bath including flooring, new sink, toilet, etc. In the last 2 years have re-done all the flooring in our house to laminate from carpet/vinyl. I've built loft beds for both kids and am in the process of building a bedframe for our bed with underbed storage/cabinet doors.

Yeah I'm a DIY'er........

I also make holsters, knife sheaths, and hammer forged knives.

Don't ask me any car questions though, the internal combustion engine is a mystery to me......... :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ok,
Part of yesterday and so far 4 hrs today, Siding pulled off, 12" trench dug below grade for 58ft (hey,ya know what works better than a pick? A long heavy steel pry bar. The big stones come up real easy.Just once you slam it down just before it strikes pay dirt release grip some to prevent wrist/shoulder shock :lol:
Sent wife for 3" screws/Marine plywood/Tyvek/Polystyrene sheets/caulk.(and beer)
Called ahead they have it ready for her,except for the beer!

boy, I love working outside now I'm secluded in the woods! :D
I feel like a kid again.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grew up poor and living on the 'house' part of a farm someone else farmed, so had to do it all or do without.

Most people doing something for a living are so used to third-party payers and regulators that they do the job only "to code" or to look good on the outside, but NOT necessarily do it strong and well, or to last, so even if I don't know how to do something, I can save enough money that I get a couple re-do's out of it, and to keep the tools afterwards. Plus, I learn something new each time, and since I have to live with the 'results', I tend to do things well the way I want them, although I may not care about some facets of them.

One thing I didn't do on my own was roof the house, and I've regretted it ever since. I'd have put 100-year-warranty metal myself on it for the same cost as hiring 'conventional' work done, but let professional builders convince me that 'architectural shingles' would be tough, low-maintenance, and last several decades. Yeah, right...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yep i`m a do it your selfer, heck sometimes i work on stuff that ain`t broke till it is. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Some of you will remember the guns I built from scratch..Have the machineshop enables me to fix lawnmower and such mechanical stuff.... I have enough tools to get by doing about anything that I need to do..I remodeled houses for a lot of years so I still have those tools and skills...My Dad was the same way , didnt hire anything done unless he just could not do it himself......and now we could ask who here has hired somebody and been ripped off?..At least when you do it yourself you know if it was done right or you had better keep and eye on it.. :lol:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Alphawolf45 wrote:Some of you will remember the guns I built from scratch..Have the machineshop enables me to fix lawnmower and such mechanical stuff.... I have enough tools to get by doing about anything that I need to do..I remodeled houses for a lot of years so I still have those tools and skills...My Dad was the same way , didnt hire anything done unless he just could not do it himself......and now we could ask who here has hired somebody and been ripped off?..At least when you do it yourself you know if it was done right or you had better keep and eye on it.. :lol:
yes, i was thinking of the guns you built from scratch when i posted. your skill level to me looks like magic! and artistry ! and...... well i can't think of enough words for it. just amazing!
cable
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Not really good at home stuff but fixing the cars, gun's n' bikes I come into my own.

Made these yesterday because I am to tight to buy any and got the pigeon just ten minutes ago!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I have always done my own plumbing and electricals. Back in the '80s when I designed and installed my pumped water heating system I wanted a multi-zone controller but they weren't commercially available. Fortunately I had some microprocessor expertise so I made my own, and it's still working after 25 years.
Modern power tools make many DIY jobs much easier than they used to be so rather than pay a contractor to do a job I use the money I woud have paid him to buy the tools to do it myself. That way the job is done to my wife's satisfaction and I get to keep some pretty fancy tools.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

There's a current country song about how the singer's dad is "That guy". He hasn't found anything he can't fix with WD40 and a Craftsman wrench. Well my dad was that guy, and he made darned sure I turned out to be him too. The best thing a father can give his son is a good set of tools and the knowlege of how to use them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I try to keep the house running since I designed and built it myself. Well, I had a lot of help from the family. My brothers in law are both very handy. Restored my old 49 chevy truck and 66 Harley FLH myself. I even tackle a lot of gun jobs but do go out for some stuff like the new ground source heat pump I had installed this year. The ground loop is the old one but the unit is new. How do people make it who must have a technician in to fix their washing machine or ice maker?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:There really isn't much I won't tackle, mechanical, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, concrete, etc... Being a mechanic for many a year I'm not afraid to tackle most anything. Now, sometimes due to the work, I may have someone else do it. My time at work pays me far more than what it usually takes to pay someone else to do it at home. Plus, it just seems that I just don't have the time.<snip> So most stuff I'll do.
Ditto. Except for that plumbing thing when it involves copper! I can sweat with best, but when it comes to soldering copper, I'm going to have to hire a plumber to fix my foopah... and it's cheaper for me th have them to do it from the beginning.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Now I know if s### keeps hitting the fan,we can have a levergun's community.(I mean the one where we all live at) :D
All of us have something to give.You guys are some handy fellows.
Heck we even have Doctors and Surgeons.
Now, where do we build it ?
OK, How many of us have acreage in the triple digits? :wink: (maybe we wouldn't even need that much?)

Well, it's 8pm and got eight sheets of marine plywood and the 8 sheets of 1" polystyrene cut(30" height)installed it/caulked and tomorrow will Tyvek and re side with siding.Then back fill and finally lay creek rock/mulch. Should be done by Friday pm.

Life is Good! I am tired,having another Genny Creme and hitting the hay-----------Later Guys!

PS----Hobie for Judge of the Community? :D
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

In 1985 I built my own house all by my self and lived in it for five years until I got remarried and moved out of state.I sold the house and land to a friend and last time I saw it he was still living there.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:
kimwcook wrote:There really isn't much I won't tackle, mechanical, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, concrete, etc... Being a mechanic for many a year I'm not afraid to tackle most anything. Now, sometimes due to the work, I may have someone else do it. My time at work pays me far more than what it usually takes to pay someone else to do it at home. Plus, it just seems that I just don't have the time.<snip> So most stuff I'll do.
Ditto. Except for that plumbing thing when it involves copper! I can sweat with best, but when it comes to soldering copper, I'm going to have to hire a plumber to fix my foopah... and it's cheaper for me th have them to do it from the beginning.

These are being used more and more in building construction. No need to solder or braze.

http://www.elkhartproducts.com/download ... Manual.pdf

Buying the "press" would be a bit pricey for just one repair, but if you think you can't copper repipe your house because you can't solder, this would work.

On a side note, California now allows schedule 80 pvc for use on residential hot water systems. So, if you are still intimidated by copper, see if it's legal in your area. I've got to say that in my industry we've been using schedule 80 pvc and cpvc for years for applications much more severe than domestic hot water. I think the copper repipe industry fought the approval of pvc tooth and nail. Truth is any idiot can glue pipe. And if it's wrong, cut it out and put in a new, relatively inexpensive piece.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Pitchy wrote:Yep i`m a do it your selfer, heck sometimes i work on stuff that ain`t broke till it is. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
hey i know that song. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Always seemed to bite off more than I can chew...and too proud to admit it and spit it out. Guess I've been played more than I care to remember, 'cause all I need to hear is a rumor that I can't do it. Dang it if that doesn't get me riled up, so I figure out how no matter how long or hard it might take. Started out delivering morning newspapers at 12 and now I am peddling power semi-conductors by designing them into inverters/converters for wind generators, solar systems, and hybrid vehicles now that I'm push'n 60.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I always try to do it myself. Usually I can figure it out, and I'm pretty good at some things. Sometimes I just end up screwing it up worse than it was before......and so it goes.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I tend to want things that don't exist ready-made, and end up doing them myself. For instance I've just finished making second story additions to my aquariums, with passageways that connect them together. Now my frogs can move from one to the other, meet each other, etc. So my frogs get live in a townhouse, with their own jacuzzi (which they use as a toilet).

Also in my younger years I was too poor to get the ready-made musical instruments I wanted, so I built them from kits. Sound quality was great with the occasional glitch in the finish - ok by me.

Over the years I've developed the attitude that I can figure out just about anything. Also, that it was often cheaper to buy the tools for a job and do it yourself than to have someone do it, and then you have the tools.

On the other hand, if you have someone who can do a job right, it's a pleasure to deal with them. My mechanic is like that, I just hand him the credit card, and he responds by doing excellent work and saving me money whenever he can. I also deal with a first-rate ukulele maker, and am constantly fantasizing about the next uke I'll have him do.

Well, you're talking to a bunch of reloaders so guess what type we are.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote:Except for that plumbing thing when it involves copper! I can sweat with best, but when it comes to soldering copper, I'm going to have to hire a plumber to fix my foopah... and it's cheaper for me th have them to do it from the beginning.
I found it helped to assemble as much as possible before putting it in place, so I had room to work. I'd only have to solder a few joints 'in the wall' that way. I also made a jig from some PVC and an air-compressor QD fitting so I could pressure-test those segments (or the whole system) with compressed air before adding water. It's very reassuring to not hear a leak and to see PSI stay same for a few hours with air, before you go and risk pressuring-up with water.

I'm the same way you are with copper, with cars, though - I once managed to break a mounting bolt off in the engine block, just 'gently' (I thought) tightening the alternator-belt on my car... :oops: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Well, won't be done till end of weekend!

Here's the deal, the reason in the first place that back wall of mine is a treated wood foundation but the rest of the foundation is concrete. I wanted my house built into the side of the mountain (this certain location,facing a huge gorge)and on the very backside they hit(bedrock)
If you stand on my deck and look into the gorge its easy to see why(bedrock shelves 30ft thick)

So, my house on three sides has your normal concrete foundation walls up to where the vinyl siding starts.(the front also has a walkout basement.The one thing that always bugged me was on the backside of the house the vinyl siding went all the way to the ground. Not the 18" of white concrete exposed.
There shows no white basement wall.I don't like its looks.
Also now bringing out that back wall 2.5" extra I have decided to do a durable white stucco finish to match the rest of the house.
It's just time consuming doing the layers over the metal mesh lath.
But this is now a very durable wall, that extra 3/4" marine plywood and 1" high density polystyrene and air space makes for one extra strong wall combined with the mesh lath/ stucco.

But, the big thing it will look great and MATCH the rest of the house and be warm.(I'll just keep extra siding in case I ever need it somewhere on the house.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kimwcook wrote:There really isn't much I won't tackle, mechanical, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, concrete, etc... Being a mechanic for many a year I'm not afraid to tackle most anything. Now, sometimes due to the work, I may have someone else do it. My time at work pays me far more than what it usually takes to pay someone else to do it at home. Plus, it just seems that I just don't have the time. I just finished painting the exterior of the house and installing an outside door. Had to replace a sheet of T111 on the pump house and re-insulate it because of a woodpecker blasting a hole in the panel and tearing out the insulation. So most stuff I'll do.
I'm in a similar boat. I enjoy doing things around the house, and as often as possible still do most of the projects, but over the last few years I have started paying others to do things as well. This started when my back flared up a coule years ago (can't believe it has been almost 2 years now since my back surgery). My time is more valuable now, and much more limited, and most importantly, my kids are simply growing up way too fast. I now usually do projects where my children can help and I can use the project to teach them a skill.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
kimwcook wrote:There really isn't much I won't tackle, mechanical, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, concrete, etc... Being a mechanic for many a year I'm not afraid to tackle most anything. Now, sometimes due to the work, I may have someone else do it. My time at work pays me far more than what it usually takes to pay someone else to do it at home. Plus, it just seems that I just don't have the time. I just finished painting the exterior of the house and installing an outside door. Had to replace a sheet of T111 on the pump house and re-insulate it because of a woodpecker blasting a hole in the panel and tearing out the insulation. So most stuff I'll do.
I'm in a similar boat. I enjoy doing things around the house, and as often as possible still do most of the projects, but over the last few years I have started paying others to do things as well. This started when my back flared up a coule years ago (can't believe it has been almost 2 years now since my back surgery). My time is more valuable now, and much more limited, and most importantly, my kids are simply growing up way too fast. I now usually do projects where my children can help and I can use the project to teach them a skill.

Doing stuff with your kids is precious time that is very well spent.(enjoy it cause man do they grow up fast)
Now, wait till they start the college scene :shock:
Daughter's a Junior in College and that check book never stops working. :lol: ( and yes it's still worth every penny)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since I was a little kid I've always tinkered with stuff. My dad was an electrician for the SP&S RR and used to bring home stuff just for me to tear apart. I loved seeing how things worked, and trying to fix things.
When I was barely a teenager I was tuning up my dad's car and doing brake jobs for the neighbors to make extra money. Used to fix small appliances for some of the neighbors too for extra cash.
I eventually became an electrician like my dad and grandad, but I'm retired now. I've always done all the projects around home, whether it was remodels and repairs, or building and fixing up cars. I'd rather buy tools I don't have to do a job, than pay someone else to do something I can learn to do. At least when I'm done I know it's done right, and I still have the tools afterwards too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

My dad was the type who could do anything with his hands. He was an amazing craftsman and artist. I inherited a (very small) portion of that. My main problem is time. If I've plenty of time I can do an awful lot of things, but if it's gotta be done quickly then sometimes it's gotta be farmed out. Back in the late 80's dad and I designed a house. I did all the plumbing and electrical and a good part of the building. My wife and I did the roof together, "spanish" tile over lathe, Brazilian style. One thing I hate about newer vehicles is that they have so much electronic junk on them and I simply can't afford the diagnostic tools to work on them properly. The old Jeep we had in Brazil got fixed by yours truly most of the time. Only major body work (didn't have welder or painting equipment) and complete overhaul of the engine/transmission/transfer case (lacked the knowledge or access to info on the subject) were things I had to farm out. So it comes down to knowing my limitations and doing what I can or learning to do something new if time constraints allow. The cost of tools down here limits my creativity at times. Labor is cheap enough that often it is much cheaper to hire something done than it is to acquire tools to do it myself. Still, I'm a tool accumulator and HAVE paid more for a tool than it would have cost me to pay someone to do a job if I figured I might have use for that tool again.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AmBraCol wrote:My dad was the type who could do anything with his hands. He was an amazing craftsman and artist. I inherited a (very small) portion of that. My main problem is time. If I've plenty of time I can do an awful lot of things, but if it's gotta be done quickly then sometimes it's gotta be farmed out. Back in the late 80's dad and I designed a house. I did all the plumbing and electrical and a good part of the building. My wife and I did the roof together, "spanish" tile over lathe, Brazilian style. One thing I hate about newer vehicles is that they have so much electronic junk on them and I simply can't afford the diagnostic tools to work on them properly. The old Jeep we had in Brazil got fixed by yours truly most of the time. Only major body work (didn't have welder or painting equipment) and complete overhaul of the engine/transmission/transfer case (lacked the knowledge or access to info on the subject) were things I had to farm out. So it comes down to knowing my limitations and doing what I can or learning to do something new if time constraints allow. The cost of tools down here limits my creativity at times. Labor is cheap enough that often it is much cheaper to hire something done than it is to acquire tools to do it myself. Still, I'm a tool accumulator and HAVE paid more for a tool than it would have cost me to pay someone to do a job if I figured I might have use for that tool again.

Paul,
Wow, I bet that house your dad and you designed was something. :mrgreen:
I am not up to the caliber like that but do what I can!
I also like the old cars that are simple.My wife is always after me to get rid of my 1966 Ford Bronco.
The original teal paint is really faded and it has some suface rust on rockers and tailgate(but only has 70,000 original miles)I am second owner.She almost gave it away last year cause she thinks its a eye sore but I just can't seem to.
Even I can fix that little 170 straight 6. I take her abuse on it at least once a week. :lol:
I tell her its my hard times truck when things really get bad! She just shakes her head.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

madman4570 wrote: Paul,
Wow, I bet that house your dad and you designed was something. :mrgreen:
I am not up to the caliber like that but do what I can!
I also like the old cars that are simple.My wife is always after me to get rid of my 1966 Ford Bronco.
The original teal paint is really faded and it has some suface rust on rockers and tailgate(but only has 70,000 original miles)I am second owner.She almost gave it away last year cause she thinks its a eye sore but I just can't seem to.
Even I can fix that little 170 straight 6. I take her abuse on it at least once a week. :lol:
I tell her its my hard times truck when things really get bad! She just shakes her head.

Actually, it was quite simple. Folks talked about the "rich guy's house"because all the brick work was unplastered. What they didn't know is that we didn't plaster because we couldn't afford to do so. So we cleaned each days bricks up carefully and it looked real sharp. Also, hard wood beams were cheaper than rebar and concrete so that's what I used where we had spans to reach across. Again, poor boy engineering that ended up looking pretty nice. Sold it about six months too early, but then I never was good about foreseeing future real estate trends. Sure wish we had a lot like it sat on here in Colombia. It'd be worth a fortune.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Not that we were poor but we were taught to value everything we had. If if broke, we learned to fix it or do without it. I'm lucky because I've never shirked from giving a project a try. It might not be perfect, but I give it a go and mostly it turns out acceptably. BTW, this answer reminds me of something a long time ago that demonstrates what I mean.

When my daughter was about 5, she and a friend were playing in her room. We heard a crash and Amy and her friend, crying and holding a shattered ceramic figurine, came down the stairs. Both marched up to me and her friend held up the damage for me to see. Sniffling a bit, she asked if I could do something as it was her favorite figurine.

Amy calmly looked over to her friend an announced confidently, "Don't worry, my dad can fix anything." I took me all weekend but after patching it together and hitting the craft shop for some, patch, paint,and glaze to touch it up, I'm proud to admit that it was very difficult to tell that it had been broken. Her dad called me later in the week after his daughter got the courage to tell him what happened. He asked me how I managed to fix it so well.

One of my proudest moments; Amy put her trust in me and I was prepared to do whatever it took to justify her young confidence in her dad. Even 20 years later, she still talks about how she never had a doubt that I'd find a way to make it right. Ah, the trust of a child! Would it be that everything could be righted in life by the faith of a child.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I think so!
They teach us more than we teach them.
Having them away at where ever such as college/a job/the service etc. is really tough.
I will miss my 20 year old daughter back at college that was on summer break and walking over to me first thing in the morning giving my coffee cup a refill while she gets a glass of orange juice saying (here old man)while smiling/winking at me. :lol:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I try do do most things myself...
except hvac and major electrical and plumbing stuff.....
and man theres a lot of stuff on that honey-do-list too.... :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Currently in the middle of "building" my house. That is -- i am working as the general contractor, but since it is my house, i have to jump in and do a wide variety of little things myself --- sometimes you can't wait for a week for your framer to get back to ya for a small task

My current "living quarters" is a 30' x 40' climate controlled garage with a 900 sf loft on top -- that was my first project and gave me the confidence to tackle the main house myself. When the house is done, the loft can either serve as a guest house, a rec room, or possibly a rental to raise some extra income

I realize working as a GC is not as hands-on as actually pounding in nails, but coordinating a project like that while still dealing with daily life can get to be a bear sometimes. I am also honest with myself on things i am good at --- meaning, it can work out better in the end for me if take on a few more work assignments so i can afford to pay guy's to do some things that it doesn't make sense for me to do myself.
----- Doug