tactical levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

tactical levergun

Post by two bit okie »

Good Morning,

I am building a tactical lever gun out of a rossi mod 92 in 44 mag. I can find just about all parts except a picitinny rail that will fit the dovetail on the Rossi. The scope is going to be one of the holographic sights so I dont need a big rail.

Any help will appreciated.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: tactical levergun

Post by jhrosier »

okie,

If you go to Amazon.com and search for "scope mount rossi 92", without the quotes, you will find a few options.

The Picatinny rail is essentially the same as a Weaver base, except for the spacing of the rings.
Depending on your choice of sights, this may not be an issue anyhow.

Jack
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Not to steal your idea, another thought would be the finish. I picked up a used Marlin S/S rifle, pretty as well, great price. The dealer also had a Ruger heavy barrled 22 semi auto pistol with a digital camo pattern on it. Initial thought was who would do that but been thinking about it, it was a well done job, looks professional coverage is 100 percent. Thought that would be a good idea if someone was to wat to build up a tactical rifle to break the out line. I don't know who did the work, but now I am thinking of going back as checking with the dealer to find if it available. It appears to be paint or some type of material thicker than ink. It is a digital pattern of various sizes of rectangles and various appropriate colors to break the outline. Just a thought if someone wanted to redo a rifle, one advantage would be no glare and no rust. Just something different. Didn't mean to step on toes or take advantage of someone elses posting. Good Luck and ATB in your quest.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are a number of very short rail sections I've seen here and there, often in catalogs or internet sellers like SportsmansGuide.com or CheaperThanDirt.com; sometimes they are listed in the "AR" or "M1A" or "Mini-14" sections.

Some Rossi's are drilled and tapped for their 'scout' mount, which has the same hole-spacing as a Contender/Encore mount, but is set up for a fairly pronounced barrel-taper (could be shimmed in a pinch, or might not be an issue with a short red-dot scope). Rossi themselves sell their scout-mount, which doesn't seem to be available elsewhere. It does not fit in the dovetail, however, but rather the holes tapped into some Rossi's just rear of the rear sight dovetail.

You might see if XS-Sights has something you could use or modify, as well... I've heard that one can modify the XS-rail for the Winchester 94 to fit a '92, but I'm not sure what is involved.

Here's the XS site - http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=s ... copemounts

ALSO - I think the Burris FastFire-II has a "dovetail base" adapter of some type which I think is used on some handguns; it might be the same dovetail as on a rifle rear sight (?). Anyway, that might be worth investigating. If all else failed, it shouldn't be hard to take a "dovetail blank" and solder/pin/screw it to a generic Fastfire-II base.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Brownells sell short rail sections fairly inexpensively.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Turnbull Restorations makes a receiver mount for a Winchester 1894 that is for a Burris Fastfire II. I would think that it would not be too difficult to get it to work on a Rossi '92.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

This mount - Image

is listed on this page - http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4185 ... IRE_MOUNTS

and sure looks like it is a dovetail, even though it is listed as "Mount fits MIL-STD 1913 Picatinny and Weaver-style rails", in case you're still looking.

The picture is repeated with stock #'s "118-000-014 - 1911 Novak FastFire Mount - Mfr. Part: 410322", so I presume it fits the dovetailed rear sight on some 1911's. . .

So the real QUESTION therefore is . . . are rear-sights on 1911's that are 'dovetail' fit, is it the same size dovetail as typical barrel-mounted rear sights...?

I guess even if it's NOT the same, it looks like some file-work flattening a dovetail-blank (or one popped off an old rear sight), and you could drill and tap the blank for the two little Torx-screws that are holding the 'dovetail' part onto the Fastfire Base shown above... 8)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

AJMD429 wrote:..... . . are rear-sights on 1911's that are 'dovetail' fit, is it the same size dovetail as typical barrel-mounted rear sights...?
No, the Novak sight is not a standard 3/8" dovetail.

Jack
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jhrosier wrote:No, the Novak sight is not a standard 3/8" dovetail.
Bummer - then I guess it's Plan "B" . . .

Give me a file, a Torx-driver, and 30 minutes, and

Image + Image = 8) 8)

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

If you have not read this article, my friend Ashley took his levergun to Thunder Ranch and competed with the black rifles ...

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm