OT: Shopping at Scheels?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

OT: Shopping at Scheels?

Post by GonnePhishin »

Howdy All,
Was in Scheel's sporting store the other day for the first time and it was like being a kid in a candy shop. They had the largest display of rifles and goodies that I've ever seen in one store in my life, and the prices seemed pretty good as well.
Would anyone care to comment on whether they've been to one and how it compares to say Cabella's as far as pricing,etc.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Shopping at Scheels?

Post by pwl44m »

Ur response was the same as Mine,lots of Guns and the prices did't seem too bad. However U do have know Ur prices. What store were U in.Back in May I went to Cabelas and Sheels in Reno. A couple of items that I looked were much higher at Sheels. Ur right about the Candy Store affect, as a matter of fact the only thing We (Wife & I) bought was a bag of Cinnamon Gummy Bears.
I want to go back and take a little more time.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I used to shop at a "Scheels" in Bismarck, North Dakota when it was just a small hardware/variety store in a mini-mall (1965-1970). I found my first old-time levergun at that Scheels for $100 (in 1970) --- a model 1894 Winchester octogonal-barreled rifle in 30 WCF. That 1899 vintage rifle has been added to over the years with other vintage Winchesters from Scheels in Billings (Winchester 1892's, 1894's, and 1876's). Unfortunately, since Scheels has gone big time over the past 5 years or so, you don't see too many vintage leverguns on their racks anymore.

It used to be like the favorite ole fishing hole, however.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sheel's story seems a lot like one of my local gunshop's - When the original owner ran it, lo these past 40-odd years, prices were reasonable, and with some dickerin', a bargain might be had, if you were a "regular".

Sadly, "Dad" retired (or worse), "Junior"'s taken over the reins, AND the pricing :roll: , and kain't be dickered with wuth a durn. :cry:

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I was in the Grand forks, ND store.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The local Scheels store is worth a stop in Eau Claire , WI. Gun prices aren't crazyand you stop enough you will find a deal. I do know that their staff are very knowledgeable about guns. Not like Gander Mountain. I order all my bullets through Scheels. If they dont carry them on the shelves they only charge a few bucks more than online , I dont pay shipping, a lot of times I get them the next day, because they get shipments from there wholesalers daily. Employees dont get discounts on used guns , they have to buy them for the same price the customer pays. If the gun has been on the shelf for more than two months they start cutting the price until it moves. The local one is connected to the mall. So there is a ton of used gun selection, its constantly changing. Mom shops at the mall , dad stops in at Scheels.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Yes, the ammo prices were very competitive when compared to the on-line stores I've visited.

DougB
Levergunner

Post by DougB »

I have found that their prices on reloading supplies is very competitive. There is also a Gander Mountain under two miles away and Scheels has them beat hands down on their prices. Both are Eau Claire, WI stores.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

There is also one in Sioux City,IA Have only stopped once but had decent selection and prices werent bad.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

I have found that Scheels has some good prices and some not so good. Like everything else, it pays to be an informed consumer.
Personally I liked the old hardware store, fishing & gun shop setup better than the new latest designer clothes format they have now. But they are in business to make money and I guess there is more of a markup in sneakers & team tee shirts than in nails.
Another thing I don't care for in our local store is the cages they use for handgun display cases. It reminds me of a sleezy pawn shop in Chicago or L.A.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

DougB wrote:I have found that their prices on reloading supplies is very competitive. There is also a Gander Mountain under two miles away and Scheels has them beat hands down on their prices. Both are Eau Claire, WI stores.
No Scheels in Kansas; Gander Mountain in Wichita has pretty high prices on reloading stuff. The Cabela's west of Kansas City is a little better on prices, but the best was the Sportsman's Warehouse in Wichita, I bought from them everytime I had the chance to stop in. Since they closed I buy 90% from online sources.