OT-The weekend on a lighter side.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

OT-The weekend on a lighter side.

Post by Mike D. »

Not all of this past weekend was negative. We all got up Saturday morning at 0500, grabbed a quick cup of coffee and a snack and headed out in search of a buck. There were 10 hunters spread out to different parts of the ranch. It's several thousand acres, so we were all miles apart. One of the crew had seen a large "Boone & Crockett" buck in full velvet the week before so he went after that one. The three of us took the old beater white CJ7 with a bad starter. Image

There is a "new" jeep on the place. Actually, it is an old brown '83 4 banger that now sports a nice "camo" color scheme. Another three of the boys took it out. :lol: ImageImage

The dawn showed nice colors after a night of full moon. Image It wasn't long before the first buck was seen, a little 14" fork with nearly white horns. He was dogging a doe, so maybe there will be an early rut after all the rain this year. All of the stock ponds are full, too. That seldom happens this late in the year.Image

We saw 6 bucks, including a large high fork in full velvet and a 3X2 that was too far distant for a safe attempt. Both bigger bucks were quick to vanish. No shots were fired during the morning hunt.
The juniper berries are thick this year, with some female trees almost blue. :) Image

On Sunday morning, after the snake bite victim was safely in the intensive care unit, we went out for another quick cruise. I don't care how many dozens of times we have been up to the high reaches of the ranch, it remains a scenic and uplifting ride. We weren't much in a deer killing mood, more of just a need to "escape". My "get up and go" had left the station and I was feeling puny so walking was not an option. Even the normally dry canyons have flowing water and the cattle are staying back there.:| Image
ImageImageImage

On the way down to breakfast I snapped a shot of the ranch complex in the valley below. The local herd is going to the river for a drink.:) Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-The weekend on a lighter side.

Post by Pitchy »

Pretty cool, had to scroll around to see it all but liked the journey. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good for you, Mike, getting out and doing something. I was stuck around the place prepping to paint the pumphouse and house. :( Loads of fun. :D
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

nice place. :mrgreen:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pitchy wrote:Pretty cool, had to scroll around to see it all but liked the journey. 8)
+ 1 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

game keeper wrote:
Pitchy wrote:Pretty cool, had to scroll around to see it all but liked the journey. 8)
+ 1 8)
+2, thanks for posting.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks like GOOD TIMES...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Glad you can enjoy it, still in my prayers.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

That ranch is like a dream to me. Tell you what, if I ever get out that way if you'll let me poke around with you I'll put a new starter on that old Jeep.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Thanks for the report, Mike. Deer season up this way doesn't start until September 17. I haven't been seeing any bucks and only a very few does, so I'm not going to get my hopes up too high. After wearing myself out hiking around last deer season, I bought a 1978 Honda Trail 90 last spring and am looking forward trying it out as a hunting rig. :)

Tim
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

Wonderful pictures. That's what I miss about California. When I was a kid, I carried a 1909 Argentine Mauser all around Kennedy Meadows and the Tehachipis looking for deer. California was a great place to grow up during the 60s & 70s
I am American
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Beautiful country.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost