Winchester 1886 range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1886 range report

Post by 3855 »

I recently acquired a new to me Winchester 1886 Ex. Lt. takedown. The rifle dates to 1910 and still sports a near perfect bore.
I have a Wyoming antelope hunt coming up this fall and considering one of a number of antique Winchester's to take along to harvest an additional doe antelope with.

So, I went to the range to see how this latest acquisition would shoot. I took some ammo previously loaded for another Ex. Lt. It consists of a 405 gr cast Cast Performance wide flat nosed gas checked bullets pushed by 50 grs of Varget. I found this combination to be accurate in several other original 86's but had not fined tuned it at all for this particular rifle.

I mounted a mid range tang sight on the 86 for an improved sight radius. I find this helps me tremendously when punching paper groups.

Results from this gun were very satisfying. The first group at 100 yards measured a very good 1.7 inches. Seeing the rifle was really liking this load I moved the target back to 200 yards, tweaked the sights just a little to better center the bulls eye and shot another group. This three shot group measured a scant 2.25 inches....I was very tickled. Subsequent groups have showed these first two were no flukes. I have several modern scoped hunting rifles that won't hang with this 86.

The rifle is just another example of why many of us are fascinated with these old guns. They were put together right, with quality that is mostly unmatched today. This rifle will be heading to Wyoming this fall.

A Winchester Collector
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1886 range report

Post by Borregos »

Nice shooting :D
Hard to beat that!
Good luck on your Wyoming trip :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Great rifle and groups. Don't you just love it when you have a load already made up and a new rifle likes it? Saves a lot of time and effort.

One thing is for sure; if you don't get that antelope, it won't be because of the rifle.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Can't argue with those results at all. Congratulations on this winner! :mrgreen:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Your not tootin that`s good shootin. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

SWEET :)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent acquisition. Can't deny the performance. Your a lucky man.
Old Law Dawg
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Strong shooting right there!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

38-55: slightly off topic but could you tell me what your avatar is? somehow my eyes just can't make it out. If it is a critter, can you post a bigger pick?thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Outstanding!!!
Shoots really great and looks good too. Can't beat a deal like that.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

rjohns94

Here is the picture you requested. A bull buffalo I took on a ranch a few years ago. It was shot with a rebarrelled original Remington rolling black in 50-90 caliber. The bullet was a paper patch pure lead slug weighing 640 grs pushed by 108 grs of Swiss 1-1/2 black powder. He soaked up two of those before he went down. The bull was 14 years old and it took a chainsaw to cut the gravy. He weighed in the vicinity of 2400 lbs on the hoof.

It was a fun hunt though. The buffalo ran free on about 640 acres and were hunted frequently. It was a challenging hunt to get in black powder range

A Winchester Collector
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice gun and tatonka!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

RIHMFIRE wrote:nice gun and tatonka!
Yessireeee! Now, that's cool.
Old Law Dawg
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Wow! Great shooting from the '86!

I assume it's a 45-70 or very similar?

''They were put together right, with quality that is mostly unmatched today'' - very true, my 1894 is better than the rest of my Winchesters made around the 70's and later.

Can you post some more pics of her for us to enjoy? :mrgreen:

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

50 Grains of Varget makes for a very light and accurate target load. Average MV with a 300 grain bullet is 1450FPS, so I imagine that a 405 would be somewhat slower. I have not used such large bullets in any of my 45-70s, instead preferring to use a weight that is similar to hunting usage. Lead is outlawed down here, so we are left with the excellent Barnes TSX and I much prefer the lighter 250 grain bullets for hunting purposes. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sounds like you got yourself an excellent, classic '86. You are very fortunate to own such a beautiful extra light takedown 86 in 45-70 caliber. I like your load, too.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

For the few who can possibly own a classic EL 45/70 I can only say God Bless. It would be My Holy Grail Levergun...............................................Elmer Keith at one time had 5 under His roof.................................................................... 8) .
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

I like using Varget in my 1886 loadings as it is fairly low pressure powder in most applications. It is also very accurate in every rifle I have tried it in. (for those interested see pressure listings at : http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp). I have a number of pre-nickel steel 86's as well and occasionally shoot the same loads in them. It is a lot easier than having a ton of different reloads for a bunch individual rifles.

Good shooting,

A Winchester Collector
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If that gun could talk...
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member