Reload tube box for the Spencer, what's it called?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Reload tube box for the Spencer, what's it called?

Post by J Miller »

In the movie Last Stand At Saber River Martha carries a Spencer lever action rifle. She's also seen carrying the box with the reload tubes in it a couple times.
That box and or tubes has a name I just cannot remember. I'm asking cos wifie-poo asked me and I want to give her an answer.

TIA

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Reload tube box for the Spencer, what's it called?

Post by Chas. »

Blakeslee cartridge box
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chas.,

Thanks a bunch.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

You're gonna make me have to pull that movie out and watch it. Its been a while.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rube Burrows wrote:You're gonna make me have to pull that movie out and watch it. Its been a while.
I have no idea how many westerns I have in my movie library. But that movie is one of them I just like to watch.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep, a Blakeslee box. I have made a few of them, a few years ago, using wine boxes I purchased from TJ Maxx. Two were for Spencer reproductions (one for me and one for a fellow levergunner here), and one for Y2K for his Henry .22. :)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

YK,

Do you have any pictures of the ones you made you'd care to share. I'm curious about the internals and the tubes and since my wife asked perhaps she is too.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:YK,

Do you have any pictures of the ones you made you'd care to share. I'm curious about the internals and the tubes and since my wife asked perhaps she is too.

Joe
Hi Joe -

I have some photos of each one, but not on this computer. I'll grab them when I get home this weekend and post them then. I've posted them before, but I just checked and no longer have the photos on PhotoBucket, so the pictures wouldn't show up if you did a search. This will make for a nice post as it has been a few years. This is a pretty easy project overall.

When I got my Spencer reproduction in .44 Russian it came with six (6) tubes. I had been thinking about how I wanted to build the box and was out on a rare "kid-free" date with the Mrs. when she asked to stop by "TJ Maxx". This is normally next to torture for me, but it was a date, so I agreed. I was looking for anything of interest, so was in the home goods area. I saw the empty wine box and it clicked. It was less than $10 so I figured it the tubes were too long, I'd have a wine box (which would be of little use since we don't drink wine, but my wife pointed out we could use it for a gift). Sure enough, with a little planning on the placement, the tubes fit perfectly.

The next step was the insert. I glued-up some 2x4 pieces and cut them to fit snugly in the box. Then I tried to drill the holes for the tubes. Bad idea. The bit, even in a drill press, wandered enough that none of the holes were straight. This also added unneccesary weight to the project. I then got the bright idea to make a base out of pine, and use six PVC tubes that would hold the metal tubes for the ammunition. I then made a top out of a nice piece of oak. I drilled the holes through the oak piece, just big enough to fit the tubes, and larger on the back side of the piece to fit the PVC tubes. I then glued the base, PVC tubes and oak top together (hot glue), and let it set for a couple of minutes. Once set, I glued the assembly inside the wine box. Worked like a charm. :D

I used a scroll saw and a Dremel tool to make a "US" emblem for the front of the box. I spray painted this with a "hammered brass" paint, and sprayed the rest of the box with flat black. I topped it off with the "plastic-dip" spray in black, protecting it, and giving it almost a leather-like appearance and feel.

I enjoyed doing the project so much that I did another one for one of the levergunners here who had a Spencer reproduction in .56 Spencer. The only change was that I couldn't find metal tubes for the rounds themselves, so used PVC again and spray painted them hammered-silver for effect. I think I did a nicer job on the "US" emblem too.

I found a double-wine box and made one for Y2K. The Henry lever-action's magazine tube can be slid out completely, like many tube-fed .22's. So the box contains ammunition tubes on one side with different types of .22 rounds in each, and each tube marked. The other side holds cleaning rods, a cleaning kit, and spare ammunition boxes.

These were really fun to do. Now I have the itch to do more! :D i
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

J Miller wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:You're gonna make me have to pull that movie out and watch it. Its been a while.
I have no idea how many westerns I have in my movie library. But that movie is one of them I just like to watch.

Joe

I agree. I got my copy in the three disk set of Tom Selleck movies....my fav of the three is Crossfire Trail.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Erasmus Blakeslee was commander of the 1st Connecticut Cavalry
His invention made the Spencer probably faster to reload than the Henry but
rate of fire was still hampered by the need to cock the hammer each time before
cycling the action.
The 10-tube Blakeslee looks like this:
Making one is way down my ToDo List, below "convert my second Spencer to centre-fire"
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Perry,

Thanks for the pics and the history. I appreciate it.

Joe
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

these guys make them and sell them. they also make centerfire conversions breech blocks for spencers:

http://www.ssfirearms.com/download%20catalog.htm

L46 CIVIL WAR SPENCER BLAKESLEE CARTRIDGE BOX. Black Bridle leather box has hinged
lid with securing strap and adjustable carrying strap. Contains six (6) tinned quick loading tubes.
Implement pouch mounted on face of box has flap with brass button closure. ........................ 165.00

very nice piece! i have one and like it.
cable