Terry M., ...anybody? - Factory .44 Magnum (Medium Loading)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Terry M., ...anybody? - Factory .44 Magnum (Medium Loading)

Post by GoatGuy »

Anyone remember a Remington factory load for the .44 Magnum, listing a 240 lead flat tip bullet and identified thusly on the box end flaps - (medium loading). These were available for at least a couple of decades and the last couple of boxes of 50 I bought were ordered by a Las Cruces, NM gunshop for me around the early 1990's. The cost was $21 + change per box. Thought then that was highway robbery, ...not so much today. These Remington cartridges obviously were a medium load for the .44 mag. I haven't seen any in stores or seen them listed as available from Remington for many years. Wondering if anyone may know about them and what might be a comparable handload for them. Certainly stouter than any factory .44 Special loads, they shot well, were easy on recoil, hit hard and were accurate enough for the targets at which I was shooting them. Looking for any thoughts and velocity info on this Remington cartridge as I would like to build a comparable load with 240 grain SWC's if possible.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Terry M., ...anybody? - Factory .44 Magnum (Medium Loading)

Post by Terry Murbach »

I REMEMBER THOSE. THAT LOAD IS EASILY DUPLICATED WITH 9.0 TO 10.0gr ON UNIQUE OR HERCO. I PREFER THE LATTER BECAUSE IT HAS SHOT WELL IN ALL MY 44MAG SIXGUNS. THEY'LL DO 1050 TO 1100 OR SO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Terry is correct. I recall the factory load vel booked 1000 fps. I guessed a comparable load was 9 grs Unique, and have loaded and shot thousands of them over the years, it's my favorite general purpose carry and easy shooting load in the 44 mag. I mostly used Lyman's 429421 250 gr Keith bullet cast from wheelweights and lubed with alox lube, tho any decent commercial cast 240 gr semi wad cutter should do fairly well. I believe my 9 gr load ended up being just a bit higher velocity than the factory loads, as Terry pointed out, but not by a lot.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Yes, I remember those loads too. As stated above 9 grs, Unique and the 250 gr. Kieth bullet, that's the load I use most and will do for anything I'm going to shoot at.
UNITE
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Thanks TERRY, Malamute and Mokwaw for the replies. Intuitively, I think I knew that, however it is sure nice to get confirmation from others who know for sure. I have a few boxes of the old Carroll, cast 240 gr. SWC bullets that I picked a some years back, They may/may not be the original Keith bullet, but if not they sure are very close. Along with plenty of Unique on hand, guess I know what my new-to-me, pinned and recessed 1981 vintage 4" 629 will be dieting on for some time to come. Thanks again gents.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I shoot my 240s and 300s @ about 1000 - 1100 with starting loads of BlueDot. Love it. I don't understand the need for Max .44mag loads. Anything you hit with a 300gr boolit is going down. If I was really worried about something real big, I'd put Garrett's in my SBH. The 629pp, I shoot moderate loads so as not to be too hard on it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

BlaineG wrote:I don't understand the need for Max .44mag loads. Anything you hit with a 300gr boolit is going down. If I was really worried about something real big, I'd put Garrett's in my SBH. The 629pp, I shoot moderate loads so as not to be too hard on it.
BlaineG - I agree. That's my plan as well.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

GoatGuy wrote:Anyone remember a Remington factory load for the .44 Magnum, listing a 240 lead flat tip bullet and identified thusly on the box end flaps - (medium loading). These were available for at least a couple of decades and the last couple of boxes of 50 I bought were ordered by a Las Cruces, NM gunshop for me around the early 1990's. The cost was $21 + change per box. Thought then that was highway robbery, ...not so much today. These Remington cartridges obviously were a medium load for the .44 mag. I haven't seen any in stores or seen them listed as available from Remington for many years. Wondering if anyone may know about them and what might be a comparable handload for them. Certainly stouter than any factory .44 Special loads, they shot well, were easy on recoil, hit hard and were accurate enough for the targets at which I was shooting them. Looking for any thoughts and velocity info on this Remington cartridge as I would like to build a comparable load with 240 grain SWC's if possible.
As said, it was 1000fps load, 10 grains of unique will duplicate it. I think I still have several boxes of this load in the basement.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I still have around one and a half boxes of them.

It has no SWC, but rather a LFP bullet. That´s VERY ok.

But the propellant seems to be slower than Unique ( = not so good in a 4" gun ), and the Lead bullet seems to be very soft.

If it´s not available anymore, it´s a pity. It is/was a good loading.

For a mid range load nowadays I would load ( if I had the time!!! ) rather a 200 grs Lead Round with flat ( CAS bullet ), rather hard cast, with Uni or N 320 / N 330 ( yes - quick! ) or the like ...

245 grs SWC and 10,6 grs N 340 I like, but it´s no slouch ... :shock:

Hermann