If you were homesteading, what guns would you pic?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

If you were homesteading, what guns would you pic?

Post by J Miller »

Depending on the answers, this may or may not be an off topic post.

I've been watching a number of westerns lately where homesteading is the plot or a big sub plot of the movie. Movies such as "The Quick And The Dead" with Sam Elliott and "Connager" also with Sam Elliott and "The Last Stand At Saber River" with Tom Selleck.

In all these movies they have their possessions and a few guns.

So considering all you'd have to carry to the new homestead what guns would you pic to take with you?
You'd have to take into consideration hunting and self defense along the way. Availability of ammunition, can you get it along the way, or do you add the extra weight and stock up enough for the whole trip?

Center fire Rifle(s) - large game, self defense?
Rim fire rifle- small game?
Shot gun(s)- small game, self defense?
Hand gun(s)- personal carry weapon, hunting, defense?

What say you?

My answers would probably be excessive but here is what I have so far:
*>1 center fire repeating rifle (full magazine lever gun) for each person big enough to use it. All the same caliber to condense ammo needs. Caliber would be a common one, available most anywhere. Say 44 WCF or .45 Colt.
*>1 rim fire rifle minimum for small game hunting. Caliber .22 LR.
>1 12 gauge shot gun minimum for hunting and close up defense.
*>1 hand gun for each person capable of using and carrying it, preferably the same caliber as the rifles.
*?>1 big bore rifle for larger game. Perhaps an 1876 or a Sharps or a Trapdoor in one of the big .45 Calibers. Or maybe a modern bolt action 30-06.
*~>Enough ammo to carry us through between towns.
{Note: I was just thinking about this again. I could do this with what I have already except I don't have a shot gun.}
* = Already have.
*? = Already have but not sure about the choice.
*~ = Already have some but not all.

Like I said probably too much for the wagons and stock to carry.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: If you were homesteading, what guns would you pic?

Post by Pete44ru »

One 12ga double bbl shotgun

One .30-30 Winchester or Marlin levergun

One .22LR Ruger BearCat

If things were tighter, just the shotgun. :roll:

K.I.S.S. . :mrgreen:

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

What you picked Joe sounds pretty good to me, maybe add a spinning wheel, i mean gattling gun. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Professor, you're pick sounds appropriate and what I'd pick if'n I had the money to buy that much hardware.
Old Law Dawg
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Man tough question with out a time frame. My choices would change from decade to decade and maybe year to year.

1860's and Early 70's:
Whatever bring backs I happen to have on hand after the war. Obviously cap'n'ball in both long and short guns.

Late 1870's and 1880's:
First on the list is always a shotgun. In this time frame make mine a double. Next would be a .45/70 sharps until the 1886 comes out then I'd switch. Handgun would be a cap'n'ball .31 cal Remington Pocket gun. Honorable Mentions: Remington 1875 and 1858, Winchester '73 in .44-40.

1890's and early 20th Century:
Still lead the way with a shotgun but now it's an 1897. Rifle is now a .30/30 in Winchester flavor and the handgun would probably be a .32 pocket gun from S&W, H&R, IJ or the like. Honorable Mentions: Still like the Remington revolvers and throw in a '99 Savage.

Today:
Not much different than what I'm doing already. 870 leads the way but I no longer "have to" have a centerfire rifle (mostly due to hunting regs). So now 2nd place goes to a 10/22 followed by a .22lr handgun of some flavor, most likely a Single Six. Honorable Mentions: Ruger Security Six and .243 Savage.

Now you will notice that in none of the above time frames does a handgun of substantial size or caliber make my must have list. Usually have a small gun for the pocket. AS Quigley says, "Never had much use for one".

LK
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I like your picks Joe. Back in the day, 10 gauge was more popular and the shotgun was the prevalent weapon for homesteaders. May have been a single barrel too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Man tough question with out a time frame. My choices would change from decade to decade and maybe year to year.

<snip>

Now you will notice that in none of the above time frames does a handgun of substantial size or caliber make my must have list. Usually have a small gun for the pocket. AS Quigley says, "Never had much use for one".

LK
Well I didn't put a time frame in because it was meant to be a generic question. Homesteading has been over since the 1970s I believe.

I understand about the handgun part. I'm a bit different cos if I want/need to shoot with a handgun I want the biggest hunk of lead heading down range as I can get. If I "gotta" shoot with the hand gun it's cos my rifle is out of reach. (More likely than not as I hate carrying a long gun ~unless~ I am specifically hunting.)

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I would want a pair of Colt Navy .36 cal recolvers. A .36 cal muzzleloading rifle.
300 caps, and a bullet mould. defense and small game. 5lb of 3Fg.
A 12ga double barrel shotgun with handloading tools. defense and small game.
A sharps rifle 45/70 with loading tools and a bullet mould.Big stuff.
A small keg of 2fg. 50lbs of #6 shot. 100lb of lead.and of course wad material and nessessary wad cutters to keep it all running. nothing fancy but all proven.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.45Colt,

Just curious, does the 36 caliber rifle use the same caps as the revolvers?

Joe
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

shotgun--Remington 870 12 ga.

Handguns--.22 Ruger SS
-- Ruger N.M Blkhwk in .357

rifles--Marlin 39
Remington 700 in .308

defensive rifle--Colt L.E. M-4 .223
defensive handgun--Colt 1911 in .45 auto

whittle it down?---the Remington 870--Remington 700---Marlin 39---Ruger B.H. 357

whittle it more?--Rem. 870---Rem. 700---Marlin 39

more?---Rem. 700--Marlin 39

more, more?---forget it, I' ain't goin' :D

if a gun was held to my head?? You can do a lot with a .22 :wink: -------------Sixgun

These are guns based on reliability, accuracy, and strength, not emotions.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

My thoughts on this still lay to the basics. A double barrel shotgun loaded at the ready with buck and ball will defy any foe or take any prey.
So far, so good. :lol:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

M4, Rem 870, Glock 27, .357 Double action revolver. Browning lever.308 WCF. .22 lever, .22 Colt Newfrontier :D :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Homesteading implies hard budget choices. In today's world I'd get a good multi-use 12 ga. like my Winchester 120, a .30-30, .308 Win or .30-06 and........ <drum roll> a .22 LR. I MIGHT get a .357 Mag revolver. In some places an AR-15 gun would do to replace the .30s mentioned. One might choose a Remington 870 Express Magnum in 20 ga. for the shotgun. The exact model of .22 LR is up in the air depending on personal prejudice.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

OK JMiller will actually answer one these. 12 gauge in 870 or SxS, 22LR marlin 39, M94 in 30/30 and last Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 in 45 Colt. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If I was homesteading before 1873 I would want a 12 gauge breech loading D/B shotgun, a type 2 Remington Rolling Block in .50/70 and a .36 cap n ball navy revolver.
A Winchester 1866 would be nice but .44 rimfire ammo could be hard to get in the middle of nowhere and reloading for it would not be an option.

After 1873 the choices would still be a D/B 12 gauge but a Winchester in centerfire and a matching Colt would do for me.

Turn of the Century, shotgun , Winchester 94 .30/30 and .32/20 revolver.

Nowadays I just take a pointed stick in case I got locked up for breaking some stupid law.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

The only one I know I'd have for sure is to defend against Indian attack:

:mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

If I were born exactly 100 years earlier.....I wish I was too....
June of 1860, in New York.... :oops:
I would probably head west sometime in late 1878...
(I left home right after high school.....but headed south! :D )
So I would probably have the following...If I had the money....
Centerfire Rifle 1876 for big game 45-60 & 1873 in 44-40
Rim fire rifle- small game? Remington rolling block
Shot gun(s)- small game, self defense? Side by side 12 ga....
In 1876, Greener introduced the Treble Wedge-Fast Hammerless Gun!
Hand gun(s)- personal carry weapon, hunting, defense?
at least 2 peacemakers in 44-40....maybe schofields
hidaway poket pistol and a derringer..

If I moved out west now, I'd take these
winchester model 70 in 30-06
winchester model 94 in 44 mag
winchester 9422 trapper 22long rifle
remington 870 wingmaster 12ga
S&W 629 Classic
a hidaway poket pistol.... 357
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

12 gauge side by side, just like I have right now, fully rifled barrels. Slugs and shot capable. A do all firearm in this area.
sidearm would currently be my model 629 Trail Boss, in .44mag. Always available while working with my hands.
Rifle depends on game laws. I could do with my .54 cal Custom built Flintlock. Or my favorite levergun, an 1886 in 45-70, or a double rifle like the one I have, scoped or not. A 30-06 bolt gun is hard to beat.
I could use a .22 but with the shotgun, probably not needed.

I have considered this question alot. I'm actually putting my house up for sale this week. Hope to move into a much smaller place with land. When I go, I will take only min amount of firearms. Probably the flintlock, 12 bore, .44mag and a lever gun in .44mag, just to minimize calibers, and probably a .22mag in sharps configuration, and my longbow and a few rods and reels. My axe, saw, maul, and sledge and wedge. A few good knives. Just don't need much anymore. Will need less and less as time goes on.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I have all the guns I need to homestead, all I need is a place to do it. Any ideas?

45/70 "Smelly Nelly" for bahrz
Winchester 1300 pumpgun for boids
Taurus 62LAR 22 levergun for skwills
.357 Blackhawk for 2 legged varmints
Ruger 10/22 for 4 legged varmints
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I realize my answer will probably not be a popular one, but i'd take 2 complete AR-15's (5.56 caliber) plus a pelican case full of upper receivers in .22 LR, .458 SOCOM (or .450 Bushmaster), and one in a medium power cartridge like a 6.5 Grendel, .30 AR or .300 Whisper for hunting deer size game

A case of 5.56 ammo of various varieties, as much .22 LR as i could carry, and 200 rounds each of any other caliber i might have

If i was outfitted in this fashion i wouldn't really feel a strong need for a handgun, but i would take a 6" barreled .357
----- Doug
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Only carrying one, a 12ga x 308 drilling.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:...I want/need to shoot with a handgun I want the biggest hunk of lead heading down range as I can get. If I "gotta" shoot with the hand gun it's cos my rifle is out of reach.
I tend to agree. The one gun I'd always want on my person in such a scenario would be a self-defense one without compromise, so a .45 Colt Redhawk (or .44 Mag) would be THE one gun 'always' there.
Streetstar wrote:I realize my answer will probably not be a popular one, but i'd take 2 complete AR-15's (5.56 caliber) plus a pelican case full of upper receivers in .22 LR, .458 SOCOM (or .450 Bushmaster), and one in a medium power cartridge like a 6.5 Grendel, .30 AR or .300 Whisper for hunting deer size game.
I like the line of thought...!

Personally, I'd outfit each post-puberty individual with a Redhawk in .44 Mag or .45 Colt, with 'light' loads for those who needed them. That would make the entire column/group difficult to bother by highwaymen/thieves. For most hunting/protection services, matching levergun carbines in the same calibers would be just fine (Burris Fastfire II & LaserMax & Coast LED-Lenser equipped, of course... :wink: ). If I picked the .44 Magnum, my "squad" rifle for every 5th or 10th person might just be a .444 Marlin, so bullet inventory would be simpler. A .338 Lapua or something in that category for 'distant' threats would be nice.

Then, for the 'pot-shooting' detail, a bunch of Ruger 10/22's would fill the bill, due to commonly available parts and accessories (even though I like the 96/22 better). Add a Mossberg 500 or Remington 750 and you'd cover just about anything you can make soup out of.

If you figure each individual had their Redhawk, a matching levergun, and a Ruger 10/22, and every 5th or so had a .444 Marlin or .338 Lapua or 12 gauge shotgun, you'd have all the basic hunting/varmint/defense needs met, unless you encountered an organized military threat.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Well, since I DO live on a homestead I'll just mention the guns that are out of the safe and used for 99% of the work from pests, slaughtering and hunting.

Savage 24 22/410
Marlin Cowboy .44 mag
Ruger Flattop .44
Ruger Redlabel 20 ga.

From most used to least used. This much I could carry to a backwoods homestead on my back.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Joe, I havent read the answers but you mention both modern and old guns yet are talking about old timey wagons etc. For me, I need to know if we are talking about going back into time or in modern days. Need to go from there. Also would help to know if we are talking about alaska or kansas or in the nortwest territorys?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ithaca Mag 10 (Roadblocker) (10ga)
Ithaca M37 (12ga)
Glock 20
Browning BLR 7MM Mag
Ruger 10/22
Ruger .454 Alaskan
Colt HBAR
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Booger Bill,

Well, the answers have gone from the mid 1800s to modern times.
My list was a combo time list, basically what I have now vs what I would have had then.
As for the wagon you could substitute most any normal sized vehicle. They can only hold so much.
Where? Well, my idea of homesteading is the wide open west as it was back in the 1800s. There is still a place or two like that if you can find it and have the money to buy the land.

Joe
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I got the guns/gals/land right here/right now in the best part of the USA
I am homesteading as we speak and aint going no place dude! :D :lol:
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

Remington 541-s 22lr bolt action
M-4 AR-15 with lots of magazines and ammo
Remington 700 CDL in 30-06
Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga.
Kimber Eclipse 1911 45ACP.
High Standard 22 Mag derringer
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Joe wrote,"Just curious, does the 36 caliber rifle use the same caps as the revolvers?"
Yep....
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Booger Bill wrote:Joe, I havent read the answers but you mention both modern and old guns yet are talking about old timey wagons etc. For me, I need to know if we are talking about going back into time or in modern days. Need to go from there. Also would help to know if we are talking about alaska or kansas or in the nortwest territorys?

I agree that some guidelines would of been helpful but in a way it has worked out pretty well and is interesting to see how some folk like me automatically go back in time while others start right off with modern guns. I threw out a modern timeline as an afterthought to my OP but the thread has definitely taken a twist into today's world. Also, I looked at my homestead as being where I am now while others headed off to the wild. Guess I don't dream that big but all those choices made here speak volumes and makes it kinda fun.

Joe, homesteading is not dead. Free government land may not be doled out but homesteads abound. Look at me, I'm out here on 4 acres on an original Iowa homestead. There is nothing stopping me from raising my own food and critters and if I wanted I could even buy some farm ground. Nothing stopping me that is except for my own appreciation to how much work it would take. Call me lazy on that one. There is actually a family down the road from my folk's that are doing just that though. City folk who bought some land, raise chickens and beef and a big garden. While they may not of traveled a 1000 miles to do they are doing it and it's kinda fun to watch. The choice they have made was not much different than an easterner headed west in 1870. It's literally learn as they go and they are making mistakes but giving it their all. Homesteading dead? I think not.

LK
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Well, if its my current state, Florida . . .
1860s-1880s
Handguns- pair of .44 caliber 1860 armys with a spair cylinder for each and half flap style holsters. .31 caliber pocket revolver.
Shotgun- Double barreled 12 gauge
Rifle- .58 caliber 1853 enfield rifled musket
Due to time period and availability, cap and ball supplies would possibly be more available even into the mid 1870s.
I would want round ball molds for all. The .31 caliber mold could also serve as a buckshot mold for the shotgun.

Modern day
Handguns- Ruger super blackhawk 44 mag hunting and woodsbumming. Glock 23 40S&W for CCW. NAA 22mag derringer also for CCW
Shotgun- Remington 870 12 gauge 3.5" with interchangable chokes for hunting
Defense rifle- AR15A2 in 5.56/.223
Hunting rifle- Remington 721 in 270WCF with a 4x weaver.
Rimfire rifle- 22LR 81TS with 3-9 scope
I woud also want my 55# Bear Montana Long bow.
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Joe
you know I like levers so
for general use 256 win mag
for hunting winchester 375 and winchester 45-70
ithaca shotgun riot model 12 ga
pistols
36 navy
357mag
45 auto
my bear bow
my 36 cal black powder senecas
for protection against two legged vermin a ar15 with 40 round mags yep have to pay attention to what might let me see the next day if things get real bad.Do not forget all the extras you need for this stuff either I can pack all I need in my truck and trailer and have room left over for other stuff I want. Can load all my toys I have now and all the tools for them in my truck and load all the living items in the trailer done it twice now. I have a lot of toys to load if I have to go homesteading and getting more all the time. Still everything will fit in the truck and trailer.
As to homesteading might just be doing that in a year or so things are getting really strange now
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

12 ga. rem 870, and thats it. I can do it all with that 1 Gun !