Sources for .348 Hornady gas checks?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Sources for .348 Hornady gas checks?

Post by cubrock »

I sold my .348 gas checks that I'd squirreled away a few months back. Now that I have a Winchester 71, I'm curious if there is anyplace that has these for a reasonable price. Hornady's website lists them at $39/1000, but I'm not that desperate.

Just curious if anyone has seen these for a decent price anywhere. If you don't mind sharing, of course. :D
.........THE TWINS..........

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Cubrock,
I would not worry about the .348 gas checks. Just use .357 ones. Anneal them first so they will glide over the shank. I've done it with several different calibers and never noticed a difference, but then again, I am happy with 2-3" groups. But my Hi-Wall in 40-82 uses gas checks that are .008 over and that rifle will shoot into 4" at 300 meters.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Sixgun wrote:Cubrock,
I would not worry about the .348 gas checks. Just use .357 ones. Anneal them first so they will glide over the shank. I've done it with several different calibers and never noticed a difference, but then again, I am happy with 2-3" groups. But my Hi-Wall in 40-82 uses gas checks that are .008 over and that rifle will shoot into 4" at 300 meters.

I wondered if that would work. Thanks for the tip!

I'm still not opposed to picking up a few thou .348 gas checks if I can get them for close to .35 prices. :D I doubt a .348 Winchester is a gun you run more than a few thousand rounds through in a lifetime, anyway.
.........THE TWINS..........

jtaylor1960
Levergunner

348 GAS CHECKS

Post by jtaylor1960 »

I bought some from Buffalo Arms a while back and I see they still have them listed at $30.00/1000.Prices are going up.Every once in a while I pick some up even if I don't need them.