Re: Correct SA Revolver Grip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

Hey Guys,

I just got a Ruger Bisley Hunter - great gun. It feels very comfortable in my hand, but I feel like my two hold isn't optimal. At the moment, I have my RH on the grip w/ my LH fingers covering my RH fingers. My right thumb is over my left thumb. Is this the best way, or should I cup my LH underneath of my right?

Any opinions welcomed.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am a adovcate of just doing what feels the most natural and comfortable.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Correct or not... I grip mine with the fingers of the left hand so they rest in the natural grooves created by my right, leaving my left thumb upright... this thumb is for cocking the gun. This works for a righty, a lefty would just reverse the hands. Both little fingers are under the grip on my plow-handle Colts, and they might not be on the slightly longer Bisley grip, but it's likely the bottom hand would have the little finger under it anyway.

Using the left thumb to cock takes NOTHING away from your grip, and doesn't require you to readjust every time you cock. Watch videos of almost ANY SASS shooter and you'll see what I mean.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

kmittleman wrote:At the moment, I have my RH on the grip w/ my LH fingers covering my RH fingers. My right thumb is over my left thumb.
This sounds like the more common grip.

If you cup one hand under the bottom of the gripframe, you might hurt your palm with heavy recoiling sixguns. The standard SA gripframe is intended to dissipate recoil by allowing the gun to rotate a lot under recoil. The use of the Bisley in heavy sixguns is to reduce the amount of roll a little bit, but there is still roll that will dig into your palm.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

The long Bisley grip favors the off hand fingers in front of the grip hand fingers. Use a "push" technique to steady the shooting hand, pulling back against it with the off hand. Keep yer elbows bent a tad.. This will lock em against shaking if yer prone to that....
Certified gun nut
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

If I use a "Squaw Grip" neither thumb is touching the grip or frame of the revolver. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good luck with it - I hope you have better luck than I did.

I bought/tried a .44 Mag Bisley Vaquero when they were first introduced, after years of plowhandled SA's, and found that I just plain didn't like the grip for shooting, no matter how nice / attractive it had seemed.

So I sold the BV, and a Bisley Single-Six, and went back to plowhandles (a .45 New Vaquero) - which cured my bad luck. :mrgreen:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I put my left hand over my right with the left forefinger under and supporting the trigger guard and the left thumb over the right so the left hand is in effect holding the right. I only basically care about accuracy. Don't participate in any rapid fire target games anymore.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kmittleman, I agree that shooting the way you describe is one of two ways I shoot SA's. The second is the way Griff described short of I don't put my left or supporting pinky under the grip frame. Just the strong hand pinky. And, I prefer the second method for SAA's. Now with my Bisley it's your way.
Old Law Dawg
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Pete44ru wrote:Good luck with it - I hope you have better luck than I did.

I bought/tried a .44 Mag Bisley Vaquero when they were first introduced, after years of plowhandled SA's, and found that I just plain didn't like the grip for shooting, no matter how nice / attractive it had seemed.

So I sold the BV, and a Bisley Single-Six, and went back to plowhandles (a .45 New Vaquero) - which cured my bad luck. :mrgreen:

The bisley grip is great for light to medium loads in 44 mag. When hot loads are used the grip thumps me right in the palm of the hand. It is difficult to control. Standard plow handle much better for full power loads for me.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

buckeyeshooter wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:Good luck with it - I hope you have better luck than I did.

The bisley grip is great for light to medium loads in 44 mag. When hot loads are used the grip thumps me right in the palm of the hand. It is difficult to control. Standard plow handle much better for full power loads for me.
Both of you hit it dead on for me. I think the Ruger Bisleys are beautiful and I have fallen for more than one even when I knew better.

The grip has way too much real-estate for me - I get "lost," can't seem to find the same grip twice, no "landmarks" for reference, etc.
THIS may be an issue for the OP - pay attention to who you are gripping it and just make sure you always do it the same way.
It may be that because it is larger than what you are used to, you aren't be able to count on "feel" as much.

Straying slightly off-point....
As for the recoil..... I honestly do not get it when people say that it handles heavy recoil better.
It feels like a Contender in one way - coming straight back much more than the traditional SA grip.
This is most likely attributable to differences in stature, hand shape, size, etc., because when I was shooting the .44 mag., I found the Old Army grip frame much more comfortable on my SBH than any Bisley I have had (three in .44 mag.)
Unfortunately, I have a similar probelm using the wonderfully beautiful S&W N-Frames - just don't "fit."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have shot both the Ruger and Colt style Bisley and find them ungainly to shoot with anything hotter than target loads.
I read over and over where the Ruger version is the greatest thing for heavy loads, but I can't see why or how.
When I have shot the Ruger I use the same basic grip Griff described. That seems to work the best.
I also find the same thing that JeffH does. The grips are just too big.

I shoot full house barn burning CorBon 300gr jacketed loads from my OM BH and I've retrofitted it with the original XR3 grips. Works just fine for me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

With regard to recoil, I think it's psychological. Folks often fight a SA revolver under heavy recoil, unnerved by the degree of muzzle rotation. The Bisley allows more purchase, which SEEMS like you have more control. In reality, I think the plow handle grip is a masterpiece of ergonomics, allowing a perfect pivot point to transfer energy, allowing recoil to become rotational energy, whereas the Bisley slams back into you more. To my mind, the key has always been, (even with a BH with stock grips and aluminum grip frame, shooting hefty .45 "Ruger Only" loads, NOT to fight the rotation. Instead, use the forearms to decellerate the rotation, stopping the muzzle somewhere just short of pointing straight up, thereby allowing the forearms to soak up the recoil instead of the hands and wrists taking such a pounding.

The Bisley was designed for target shooting using a one hand grip, and allows for some bit of better shot-to-shot consistency in such use if you get a good initial grip. Combined with the low, wide hammer, you shoot and re-cock the gun without shifting the grip at all.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yep, that sounds right. ^

I think many of those who like the Ruger Bisley have been previously conditioned to the feel of the double action revolver. So when the SA with the plow handle rolls back it scares them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***