Help me decide about which knife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Help me decide about which knife

Post by t.r. »

I've rec'd a nice sum of cash from my kids for my B-day. But can't decide between BUCK 102 or 105.

I'm focused upon BUCK because of its reputation.

The 105 is longer but appears to be nearly same use-able shape as the 102. This knife will be used to dress white tail deer.

Please provide your suggestions.

Thank you.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Help me decide about which knife

Post by Nath »

My Buck knieves are great, only owned two, a ranger and a 6" special.

The special is my bow hunting knife :D

Other than that I can't advise. Is one of your choices the 'woodsman'? If so a bud has one and is a very usefull blade, I am still waiting for him to give it to me :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Look instead at the Buck Vangards and Mini-Vangards. I think the Mini may of been a Bass Pro exclusive and may not be available any more but it is my favorite knife. Pictured here with my 949:

BTW, bought it at Bass Pro last winter for $50.

LK
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

105, that is what I gave my father a few years ago.
I have the old Buck 121, a couple of them. That is the best all around one and they quit making it.

Ka-Bar hunting knife will work well too!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

For my tastes, though the Buck 102 is a classic, it is a little long for field dressing deer. Unless ya got really long fingers, I wouldn't want a knife over 3.5" for the job. The reason is, with a knife of the right size, you can lay yer index finger beside the blade, all the way to the tip when going in after a windpipe, etc. A big knife is clumsy for that kinda work. I also like a little bit more of a round belly to a dressing knife.
Certified gun nut
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Browning Whitetail fixed blade. I have a couple of Browning knives and love 'em. For a hunting knife I much prefer a fixed blade over a folder, no getting stuff inside the folder part, easily cleaned and with their 3- 3-½" blades, just the right length for skinning/gutting.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Those are U.S. made blades, right?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Of the two, I'd prefer the 102. But, in my opinion, neither is well suited for dressing deer. There are many better blade designs for that chore.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Either of those Bucks will be wonderful. IMO, get a diamond sharpener, the Buck steel is so hard, you will find it easier to take of. After you get the right edge, polish it on a good piece of leather, and you can skin the entire deer easily. (if you don't try to go thru the bones, anyway :P )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Griff wrote:Browning Whitetail fixed blade. I have a couple of Browning knives and love 'em. For a hunting knife I much prefer a fixed blade over a folder, no getting stuff inside the folder part, easily cleaned and with their 3- 3-½" blades, just the right length for skinning/gutting.

That's what I'm talkin about ;)
Certified gun nut
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Neither one of those choices seems like an ideal deer knife. The Buck 102 with cocobolo handles might be worth considering.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I still carry a assortment of different fixed blade knives during deer season until a buddy thats shot more deer than i can count showed me that all he uses is his Leatherman.
Plenty of blade for the job and that little saw works great for sawing through the pelvic bone, started using mine and found he was right.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Both are good knives....and I pretty sure both of those are US made...
bought my BIL one many years ago....super sharp and holds an edge...
but for skinning whitetail....I like a drop point, shorter blade...
Cant go wrong with either....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got fancier knives "but" if you want a USA made knife for deer hunting etc. I have yet to find a more ergonomic/sharper easier handling knife than http://www.backcountry.com/gerber-gator-ii-folder-knife

No sheath required/the material of the handle just makes that knive carry very well in your pocket and the blade is plenty big.
I have a Buck 102 but I carry the Gerber. This is one time cheaper price isnt cheaper knife.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I use Mora knives , sandvik stainless steel and has a built in angle for easy sharpening, can get thru a elk or steer before I need to touch up the edge best thing their 12$ weight is 4-5 oz.http://www.ragweedforge.com/11824.jpg. danny
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

BigSky56 wrote:I use Mora knives , sandvik stainless steel and has a built in angle for easy sharpening, can get thru a elk or steer before I need to touch up the edge best thing their 12$ weight is 4-5 oz.http://www.ragweedforge.com/11824.jpg. danny
I know the question was about buck knives... so I wasn't going to post my opinion as I've on;y handled one or two and it wasn't to skin anything. However when I saw that Danny echoed what I was thinking I just had to chime in. I have skinned and processed deer with my mora and it was still plenty sharp when it was over. They are a great knife. You can find youtube videos of guys pushing those blades way beyond what I would do. Chopping at metal and cinder block. Bending the heck out of them and they come back for more. They are an excellent value and my goto fixed blade.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Thanks for the input.

- I already own a Martiinni (Finland) knife and love it except handle is small for my hand
- Mora's are well built but not exactly eye-appealing to me
- I've never cared for Gerber's single edge grind
- The Browning custom knife is very attractive but outside my budget
- BUCK mini Vanguard is no longer available

I located a BUCK 102 with cocobolo handle on eBay for a fair price.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I have a Browning very similar to Griff's and I highly recommend it. I know some butcher shop people who speak very highly of Gerber knives.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

TR the old moras wont win any beauty contests but the new clipper, companion and HQ allaround series knives look good and handle well they are available in CS&SS and when your hands are wet or bloody you dont loose your grip. at the price I get 3 or 4 at a time and give them to hunters and family that I guide for once a guy uses them and sees how easy you can sharpen them their hooked. Plus if you lose one you dont have to get a loan to replace it. danny
link to Mora knifes
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

BigSky56 wrote:I use Mora knives , sandvik stainless steel and has a built in angle for easy sharpening, can get thru a elk or steer before I need to touch up the edge best thing their 12$ weight is 4-5 oz.http://www.ragweedforge.com/11824.jpg. danny

Now, that's just dangerous and irresponsible - sending a fella there! :wink:

I have a number of custom knives (and have had a boatload in the past) that are the few that survived a thorough purge. They work great and were made by some great fellas, but to be completely honest, I have compared each end every one of those customs to the Mora 510 (discontinued and replaced with one with a finger guard - which is easily ground off), which cost me all of $10. The bright red plastic handle is garish, but easy to spot too.

I won't tell a man what kind of knife to buy if he has something in mind already, but I have found that the shorter blades (4" and under) have become the ones that work best for me. It needn't be any thicker than 3/32" and the height of the blade is good at 7/8" to 3/4". Beyond that, construction, materials and craftsmanship are what counts and I believe Buck meets those qualifications as long as you find one that fits you.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sorry this isn't what you asked but to let you know I've been a Buck fan for 40 years. I even have a #110X that Chuck Buck himself autographed for me, but went they went shopping in China I lost faith.
I bought a German made Puma and have been happy ever since.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

t.r. wrote:I've rec'd a nice sum of cash from my kids for my B-day. But can't decide between BUCK 102 or 105.

I'm focused upon BUCK because of its reputation.

The 105 is longer but appears to be nearly same use-able shape as the 102. This knife will be used to dress white tail deer.

Please provide your suggestions.

Thank you.

TR
SOG.jpg
I use this. It will reach in the the pelvic/anal cavity and cut all around the rectum without me having to go spelunking. It will cut thought the rib cage with ease ( I seldom save capes). I used a Buck folding knife with 4.5 inch blade for years, but this beats it by far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Hobie wrote:Those are U.S. made blades, right?
right? one can only hope. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"