45LC Rossi 92 (Pre-Safety)...I gotta tell ya...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

45LC Rossi 92 (Pre-Safety)...I gotta tell ya...

Post by Stump Buster »

... I think this may be one of the most accurate and enjoyable leverguns I've ever shot!!! :shock:

I have a 336 Cowboy in 30-30 that I dearly love, an 1895 Ltd. IV (#911) that is a pleasure to carry, an 1894C converted to PG by Marlin before the buyout and a 35Rem 336 that I rebuilt for my nephews to learn to hunt with. My pre-safety Winchester 94AE Trapper/Wangler in 45LC is fun, but I waited 12 years to find it and it's one of those guns you hesitate to take to the range for fear of "dinging" it. My other 94AE and 94/22's hold the same concerns and I can't seem to shoot them as well as the Marlins or this Rossi for some reason. Sylvia's 1894Ltd 357Mag WAS the #1 "Go-To Fun Gun" in the safe until I picked up this Puma on trade!!! Took Sylvia and the Rossi to the range again today and I just couldn't seem to miss those water filled plasitic soda bottles!!! The action even felt smoother today after an evening of cycling the lever last week!!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm PLEASANTLY surprised at how happy I am with this "Low Budget" levergun that isn't supposed to be on par with the Winchesters or Marlins. The fit and finish is very good and as far as I'm concerned, it may spank 'em in the pure shootability and FUN department!!! You might want to try one out if ya haven't already done so or you thought they wouldn't be worth your time!!! You may be in for an enjoyable ride! :wink:

Who'd a Thunk It?!?!?!?!?

Thanks for letting me ramble on....I'm still a little excited!!! I'll post pics when the (Low Budget) EAA Bounty Hunter arrives to keep this levergun company (should be here in a few more days!!!) If this revolver shoots as good as this levergun, my S&W, USFA's and Ruger's in 45LC are gonna have some competition for range time!!!

(ETA...) Here's a horrible pic I took today while finishing up the film in a cheap disposable camera...

All The Best My Friends,

Stump
Last edited by Stump Buster on Thu May 26, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 45LC Rossi 92 (Pre-Safety)...I gotta tell ya...

Post by AJMD429 »

Glad you found yourself a real 'shooter'... 8) 8)

When I first was able to afford the occasional 'nice' gun, I found that the guns I shoot the most tended to be the used ones that were 'pre-dinged' and 'pre-scratched', because I'm didn't fear hurting their value. After awhile, I realized that during my lifetime, their only 'value' is what I do with them, so if they are truly so expensive and delicate that I can't take them out and shoot them, I sell them, and buy guns I'm comfortable actually using. Unless I literally use it to pound nails, or as a boat-paddle, I'm not likely to put more 'wear and tear' on a 75-year-old gun than the guy who owned it for the first 65 years.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congrats. Great stubby Levers.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I think you done real good with that little carbine. I have a Rossi Hartford pre lawyer carbine in .45 Colt that goes well with my 1957 Colt SAA .45, the Rossi is sure a pleasure to shoot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While I'm waiting for the Kroil to eat thru the rust holding the barrel in the action of my 1894 Marlin, I shot my EMF Rossi Short Rifle in my fisrt "Wild Bunch" match... (didn't seem correct to use a Henry or 1873); and while it ain't quite as smooth as either of those guns... love it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

All of my Rossis are pre safety - half Interarms, the others EMF. Not a thing wrong with any of them...'cept the rear sights on the Interarms I keep intending to get Steve's fix for.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I must add one to my herd....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Never had one in my hands, but sounds like I should.
Old Law Dawg
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I had an EMF short rifle like Griffs.357 maf. about five weeks ago I gave it to My Daughter and Son in Law when they wanted a gun for home protection. it has a Lyman reciver sight on it. Paul went shooting with a bunch of Guys from Church and they looked puzzled at the cowboy gun at first. Paul had no trouble hitting the close range targets and then reloaded and was repeatedly ringing the steel gong 95 yards away. the Group lined up to shoot it and all went nuts over it. about five are looking for one. I'll never get that rifle back. :) they are very good guns.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Love my Rossi 92, 16" carbine in .357. It has been totally reliable and the Skinner peep makes it a pleasure to shoot. I am extremely pleased with the fit and finish. It is a Rossi-Braztech, one of the first ones produced after Taurus took over. The only improvements I could ask for would be to eliminate the ridiculous safety (and that can be done with Nate's plug) and put some real American Walnut on it instead of that mystery rainforest hardwood that it comes with. But for the less than $400 I paid for it new, I ain't complaining.

I'd like to find a beater Rossi to use as a truck gun.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
ryangrey
Levergunner

Post by ryangrey »

Ive had a 16 inch one in 45 colt for some time now. It had the safety but I made a plug for it and it definetly needed a new finish on the stock but now it looks ok. But it is a great beater/canoe/backpacking gun that has hammered a few deer and gone on a few bear hunts. It is in desperate need of a rebluing job after my plug installation and a failed attempt to install a tang peep sight.

It shoots the same loads as my 4" redhawk and 4 5/8 blackhawk. 255 grain lazer cast swc over 18 grains 2400. I also keep a couple hundred rounds of 250 grain xtps over the same amount of powder around for social purposes.