.22 revolver, a good sidearm?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

.22 revolver, a good sidearm?

Post by El Chivo »

I occasionally think about getting a revolver, but none of the calibers really appeal to me except for .22 lr. I think I would practice with it more, enjoy shooting it more, etc.

I would probably take it walking in the woods, so I wanted to hear thoughts about having this as a sidearm as opposed to the big blasters. Anyone like/prefer their 22?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .22 revolver, a good sidearm?

Post by tman »

I have a colt .22 New frontier which is a way cool cowboy throwback pistol, if u are a geek like me. :)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

For many years, my constant companion was an H&R 999. It still gets carried quite a bit. I, also, carry a Ruger SSS quite often. But these are usually restricted to desert use. If I'm going where large toothy critters live, I'll take something larger. But on my desert sojourns I feel more than adequately armed with a .22 lr or in the case of the SSS the .22 mag sometimes gets the nod.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a S&W 617 that is a fine shooter but for walking in the woods I think a J frame in .22 mag would be better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I am a late-comer to the .22 revolver world too, in my case more specifically a 4-5/8" Single Six convertible. I love it and can't believe I ever did without (but had planned doing something about for 30+ years). I've got .357s and 44s for the "toothy" critters as one poster put it, but plan on carrying the .22 here in the desert--especially in the winter. I've always carried a .357 with snakeshot in the first few chambers, and likely still will during the height of the (two primary) snake seasons. Otherwise, one of my .32s or now also the .22 will go on the hip "just because." Like a good Win 94 (or Marlin 336) .30-30, I agree with all those many who have said "evey one should have a Single Six .22!" An 8/9 shot .22 DA would be great as well.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

22s are fun. Cheap to shoot, don't have to spend alot to get an accurate one. I have three 22 revolvers; a 6 1/2" Ruger single six convertable (22LR & 22 WMR cylinders) plus a 6" Smith & Wesson K22 and a 6" Colt Officers Model. The Smith and the Colt can be a little pricy but the Rugers can be found at very affordable prices.

A friend of mine bought a new 6" stainless Taurus last fall, he really likes it. I believe that he paid around $325 OTD.

The Ruger semi-auto pistols are fun too and can typically be bought used at cheaper prices than the revolvers.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

On my list is a Ruger Bearcat. I reload for 3 calibers and enjoy shooting them. But, I still shoot more .22LR than the combined total of the others. I generally carry a .45C revolver around my place, but there are times when I want a .22LR revolver.

I read that a side arm is an arm of opportunity. If you have one, and need or want to use, it's there. that's better than saying---wait I gotta go back to house before I shoot your lazy, no good carcass.

rimrock
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Had my K-22 out in the woods last weekend. My favorite .22 handgun and a super shooter. Mine's a 1959, five screw that I bought at a show (with my Dad making the actual purchase) when I was @ 17. I'd saved all summer for a new .22 sixgun and was really looking for a stainless Single Six or one of the little S&W 63s (I think that's the right number).

Anyway, turns out I find this perfect Model 17 with a 6" barrel for $200 ( every last penny I had) and bought it.
I put a set of stag grips on it and it is a beauty of a sixgun.

Been looking at those little stainless Bearcats though! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

How good are .22's for the desert. This one is my bunny killer. Been doing it for what, thirty years. Of course my eyes aren't the same, so the sighting equipment has been updated. With this, I can still out gun my boys on bunnies and such.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

In my experience and opinion the .22 revolver is an excellent plinking, target, practice, small game, and if push comes to shove defense against K-9 or feline revolver. I usually take one along when I've gone camping. But I don't carry it unless I'm actually hunting with it. I carry one of my .45s.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

.22'a are great woods bummin guns. Traditionally mine had always been a Ruger MKII 22/45 but now the duty is shared duty between a H&R 949 and a Bersa T22 (sold the Ruger). The Bersa is smaller and fills the role of "kit gun" while I'm gonna carry the H&R more for hunting. Confession time: I had kinda forgot about my 949. It was my late great uncles and was given to me by my grandpa just before he died. I always treated it more as an heirloom and the redheaded step child to the Ruger, not something to take in the field and frankly I never shot it much. After selling the 22/45 (wanted to upgrade to a SS Ruger down the road) I really missed having a .22 sidearm that I could shoot effectively so I broke out the 949. It's groups are about twice that of the Ruger but in many ways I couldn't be happier, a new Ruger can wait.

Pictured below with and without a new Threepersons holster I made for it a couple weeks ago:

Camping I have a .22.
Canoeing I have a .22.
Fishing I have a .22.
Hunting with a shotgun or centerfire rifle I have a .22.

LK
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

rimrock wrote:On my list is a Ruger Bearcat. rimrock
I forgot about Bearcats. I had my Dad's for a few years, it was easy to carry (in an OLD Hunter holster) and about as accurate as my Single Six.

My Dad left it to my brother so I begrudgingly let him have it.

I haven't shot any of the new ones but like 2ndovc, I could easily see one in my future; especially a stainless model.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have an old J.C. Higgins model 88(same as a High Standard Sentinel and in fact made for Sears by High Standard) which I have carried as my woods pistol for some 30 years.It is super accurate,has 9 shot double action and has never misfired.I even took my concealed weapon course with it.Last year I won the revolver class steel plate match at my club with it.Five steel plates with five shots in 6.2 seconds.22"s are great pistols.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

ive had 22s for years, there easy to shoot,easy to carry,ive used them on 1200 lb steers to bunnys, my favorite now is a old high standard dbl.9 with a swing out cyl. makes loading & unloading easier on my wore out fingers, still i like my 357 & 45s though
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When I go in the woods, I holster up a 1911 , but if I'm carrying a rifle, a j Frame 22 or 38 goes in the pocket.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I like my Ruger Bearcat best as a .22 sidearm, but if I'm rifle hunting I often just stick a North American Arms mini revolver in my pocket. Works great for finishing downed game you don't want to blast again with the rifle!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I carry a .22 often when I am not in the area for bigger problems and have really been looking a .22 Mag bearcat that they have been selling on gunbroker as a great little carry that is legal to hunt with in WV (Min 4in barrel on a pistol) or I would just carry the .22 Mag S&W 617 I have.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =229329652
It is not the critic who counts
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I love my little stainless 9 shot J-Frame clone Taurus model 94 with 3" barrel, surprisingly accurate, and has been 100% reliable for over 22 years I've owned her. I discovered the speedloader for the H&R 999 works perfectly so bought a couple early on. I found the original wood grips a tad clubby so I put on a Hogue Mono grip designed for the model 85 and it fit like a glove which helps me deal with it's massage recoil. :lol:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I bought a Taurus model 94 in stainless about 20 years ago. It has been fired well over 1,000 times with no loss in accuracy or function. But if I could go back in time, I'd buy the 6 inch barrel instead of the 4 inch.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

El CHIVO - I have a couple you can try at the range if you like. Bring a sandwich :wink:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

El CHIVO - I have a couple you can try at the range if you like. Bring a sandwich :wink:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

OS - sounds good.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I love my little stainless 9 shot J-Frame clone Taurus model 94 with 3" barrel
Very, very cool! I really like how you adapted the 85 Hogue grip and found the speed loaders. You added 2 new features using existing products to a gun that was already good. Good job and thanks for sharing out the interchange info.

Anyway first gun was an H&R 950 and it has always shot well and it’s become *the* handgun that I use for training first-time shooters. It used to go with me on every shooting trip and has countless bricks of ammo through it with no problems or issues. Now it gets more rest since I rotate shooting it with a Ruger MK678 and a Walther P22. That H&R is probably the last gun I’d ever sell tho.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Wow. there's been a mess of 'em and most were great shooters. What I finally settled on ended up being a SS NM Bearcat. I hope to do adjustable sights on it some day and will watch out the corner of my eye for a spare cylinder to convert to .22 mag. Most of the .22s I have had over the years were great guns but all weighed about as much as a centerfire, so I kind of like the Bearcat most for a carryin' .22 and both it and the OM Bearcat (my daughter's) are as or mor accurate than any other .22 we've had. I even finally let the OM Single Six (1957 vintage) go in deference to what I consider a much more appropriate "steel to horsepower ratio" for the .22 LR - especially for just having it along.

Others that were great and which I prefer over most others (in no certain order):
Taurus 9-shot, 4"
Ruger Standard Auto (pre MKII, MKIII.....)
Ruger MKI (the actual MKI with Micro Sights, not simply a "pre MKII")
Ruger Single Six, Old Model
H&R 949
H&R ?? 9-shot, 4", swing-out cylinder dog of a gun that shot wonderfully and didn't weigh a lot
Charter Arms Pocket Target (the original before they had to change the name to "Pathfinder")

I have had a number of others, like the Ruger 22-45, which is a good gun,, but couldn't get the girls to touch it after they'd shot he MKI, so I got stuck with it, so I sold it. It was a very good gun, but not as good as the ones on my list above.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Yep...plenty good. I pack my Ruger Single-Six when loafing around the woods.

Sorry..can't post a picture as Photobucket is blocked here at work.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have 3... SW 18, a 17 and a Colt New Frontier. They get used often.

The revolvers have coached a lot of shootrs in my home... the Colt is just fun to shoot.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like SOMEONE could make a mint making a single gun that would allow .22 LR shots but maybe have a big-bore round available in case needed.

Remember the LeMat's that had a 16 gauge shotgun round in front of the cylinder, with a cylinder full of .36 or .42 pistol rounds...?

WHAT IF Ruger or someone else made a .22 LR (or .22 WMR) single-action revolver, but with a .44 Mag, .45 Colt, or even .454 Casull under-barrel setup like the LeMat...?

THAT WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE WOODS-WALKING GUN...! 8) 8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

When I was 14 I acquired a used High-Standard, Double-Nine. A plow-handled version of the excellent Sentinel double action. The false ejector button unlatched the nine shot, swing-out cylinder.
I carried it everywhere, rabbit hunting, squirrel hunting, trapping, coon hunting, and just walking the rail road tracks to the river. I don't know how many boxes of ammo I put through it but, I wore the sear to the point that catching the single action notch was an iffy proposition and and the release was hair trigger to say the least.
I intended to get it fixed but, someone stole it. :twisted:
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

got a few, this is my favorite.
12226.JPG
takes a while to clean though. :D
12223.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

You can't go wrong with a good 22lr sidearm. I love my S&W M 17. Very accurate and fun to shoot and carry.

25 yards Weaver stance with CCI Stinger:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fantastic Ravenman - I think you win - this is only 50 ft. - Isosocles stance. K22 - And my Master Hunter doesn't have the gut hook.

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Old Savage - that's pretty good shooting too and the K22 is real cult handgun.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

put it this way--
even if you later decide to carry something bigger (and I hope you will)
You're gonna need a .22 revolver for your collection anyway. No reason not to start with it!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Been carrying a S&W revolver since I was about 16. Still have my first, a M 18 .22, and some M19s too . Carry which ever is most appropriate when out and about.
get the .22 of your choice and shoot it a lot.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I have a Smith 617 10 shot with the 4 inch barrel, it's definitely one of my favorites. Excellent gun.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

If it is your first revolver, by all means get a .22. They are great for learning to shoot a handgun without the expense and recoil of larger bores. You need to shoot a heck of a lot, and .22s are perfect.

However, I no longer own a .22 handgun. If I need a .22, I use an accurate rifle. I find a good .38 special has more utility for an "around the place/forest companion", and the overall package is as light and small as any decent .22.

Understand that I am in the vast minority here, and my opinions are valid only in my experience.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have three .22lr handguns. A SS ruger Bearcat, a 22 conversion kit for my Kimber .45, and a single shot Contender, 10 inch bull barrel with a red dot sight and sling. The Bear cat is riding around in the truck with me, and for hanging out with the mule or woods walking and hiking. Its light weight and accuracy, especially with subsonic rounds or with cci mini mags, is perfect for knocking off some rounds while out and about. The TC is used specifically when I carry my Muzzle loader going for deer and I have a chance to take small game. I use quiet subsonic rounds in it also to take bushy tails while not disturbing the deer population.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Unless you are expected two-legged trouble, I just don't think you can go wrong carrying a .22 in the woods for kicking around... :D
KRD
Levergunner

Post by KRD »

My favorite .22 handgun is a S&W 317. It weighs 11.9 oz, and with a little practice, is pretty accurate out to about 30 yds. Mine is the 3" barrel and is identical in size to my S&W model 60 in .357 mag. The 317 is a great practice gun and I carry it more than any handgun that I own.
There has been some discussion questioning it's durability, but I have over 2000 rounds through mine and it is still like new.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I've carried a sidearm since I was a kid, mostly .22's. The .22 is perfect for most situations. I carry a S&W Mdl. 18 or a Ruger Single Six. If I am hunting with a rifle, I carry a .22. If I am fishing, most of the time I carry a .22. There are times when I carry a bigger caliber, but if I do my wife has the .22. My bug-out-bag has a .22 because of the ammo I can carry. The .22 is a great caliber and very versatile.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I had them around continually as a kid, the most notable being a 1969 Single Six and a S&W Model 18 round butt. Yes, I know...

Career choices took me places where rimfires were no longer a necessity and I have gotten away from them. I've been reloading a long time and I developed small game loads for all my serious handguns, so I didn't miss the little .22 all that much. I have to really like a handgun to keep it around, and the last .22 I really liked was the Colt Peacemaker. More recently, I've become enamored with the Ruger Bearcat and when it's time for a .22 again, a blue one is on the list.

L-Kilkenny, I love those old 49ers. I had one decades ago that shot like a rifle and I won a few bets with it, against supposedly superior pistols. Oddly, the one .22 pistol that's hung around has been this little NEF R92, which shoots better (with a little work) than any cheapp 22 revolver has any right to.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/hunnerdollargun.html
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

For anyone that might be interested, A dealer here in Iowa has a "Talo" .22/.22M Stainless Birdshead Single Six just like the .32H&R versions you see. Has a 3 3/4" barrel. If I had the $400 I'd buy it but alas it will have to wait. Should be easier to shoot well then the miniscule bearcat. He had it at the last couple gun shows so I'm assuming he still does.

Get a hold of me if you need the dealer info. BTW, don't be afraid to deal with this guy, He's fair and if he want to move something you'll get a deal.

CB
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Can't think of a better .22 revolver than the S&W Model 17. Longer sight radious and more available velocity with the 6" barrel than the Model 18's 4 ". That said, shore wished I owned/could afford an 18. :lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

H&R makes a 676 in 22Mag that doesn't have a recesed cyc and will shoot 22 short ,long ,22WRF,or Mag!

The other than mag just swell a little and come out just fine ,and since the 22LR is a healled cartridge it

swells up just fine . Bob
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

In the days before the UK went completely bonkers I had a little Spanish Astra Cadix 9 shot D/A revolver.
Never managed to hit a Squirrel with it (not for the want of trying) :oops: but I did once nail a Fox, one shot DRT.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I have several Taurus 94 in different barrel lengths and finishes but I have never seen a 6 inch. I have 3, 4, 5 inch. Personally don't like 2 inch revolvers even in rimfire. I am a little sensitive about unnecessary noise.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:El CHIVO - I have a couple you can try at the range if you like. Bring a sandwich :wink:
Is this to eat or used as the target... :wink:
redmond
Levergunner

Post by redmond »

One nice thing about the '50s K22 Masterpiece is that it is the same size and weight as the K38. That allows you to practice with 22lr and the feel is the same as 38 Special - OK, except for the recoil. Here are my beauties, along with their Model 36 sister. Love them, especioally the K22 - in the middle.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

stew71 wrote:Yep...plenty good. I pack my Ruger Single-Six when loafing around the woods.

Sorry..can't post a picture as Photobucket is blocked here at work.
Hint, build a word file of the IP addresses. Then copy and paste them between the Img code tags. Entries could look something like this.

Southpaw Stag - http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/ ... 0415-1.jpg

Then when you want to use it, open the image tag, copy the IP from your word file and close the tag.

Just make the word file at home, and keep it on a thumb drive or some such.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Ruger Single-Six--I have a stainless one with a 5 1/2" barrel--best revolver ever... :mrgreen: