OT: Harley Owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT: Harley Owners

Post by Blaine »

Without any brand or USA made loyality whatsoever, do you think the new (2009 & up) Ultra Glides are reliable? I love my Goldwing, but might be interested in an Electra Glide...just because they're American and look good. Remember, no bias :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Harley Owners

Post by TMair »

They do look good, but you just may want to check into how American made they are.
Terry
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have had a fatboy and now a Rocker C. I love riding a Harley. The newer bikes are pretty darn reliable. But you know what HD stand for?? Hunder Dollars. Thats what they usually cost when you take them in. :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mich hunter wrote:I have had a fatboy and now a Rocker C. I love riding a Harley. The newer bikes are pretty darn reliable. But you know what HD stand for?? Hunder Dollars. Thats what they usually cost when you take them in. :lol:
Goldwings, too....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

First some bona-fides....I've put something close to 375,000 mi. on several motorcycles all together over the years. I've ridden my current bike (1985 H-D FXR) 246,000 of those miles. Over the years, I've seen a LOT of bikes on the road, and on the SIDE of the road. I've observed that reliability tends to be inversely proportional to the level of attempted modification. The guys I've known who have to work on their bikes the most, are the one's who took a stock bike home and started "working on it". To your question:
Reliable....??? Yes. ALL motorcycle brands are significantly more reliable than they were when I was a kid...and Eisenhower was President. When Harley-Davidson introduced the Evolution models in the mid-80's they made the leap and have remained one of the best ever since. They aren't the most powerful, fastest, highest performing bikes on the market...never tried to be, but you can't beat'em if style is part of your buying equation. Goldwings are great bikes and I've noticed over the years that Wing owners tend to RIDE'em a lot. That says a lot about them right there. For both brands....
"Assembled in America" from parts acquired globally would be a more accurate description.
Last time I checked, Goldwings were being assembled in St. Mary's Ohio.
IF...God forbid...I have to buy another bike someday...I'd be looking hard at a H-D Street-Glide, but that's just me. I keep telling those who ask...I'm not old enough yet for a "bagger"..!!
Whatever you choose...ride safe..!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've been riding since 1955 when I turned 16. First bike was a '47 knucklehead which I bought for $350. Since then I've had at least one of just about everything but a lot of HDs. There are 3 currently in my possession. I've put a lot of miles on them and just like the idea of Harleys.

An interesting statistic: The average mileage of Jap bikes over 650 cc (this includes some million mile Gold Wings) is 17,000 miles to their demise. Probably an old figure but was true a few years back. I think only a BMW (put about 80,000 on one) is as reliable as the Gold Wing but have seen a few of them die because of a tolerance stack in the oil pump.

Currently have the hots for a bagger owned by a friend who desperately wants to sell. It's actually a CMC with 100 inch S&S engine and 5 speed, wire wheels and only 11,000 miles on a softail frame. I know, buy it. But I need a new barn. Decisions, decisions.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Dad's 2001 GoldWing has 196,000 and is running great. The only thing he has done to it besides normal maintenance is replace the starter.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Remember when we all get to Heaven you`ll get Goldwings :lol: just kidding, i too have been riding bikes for a long time Harleys most but GW`s and other brands.
IMO beauty and dependability are in the eye of the beholder, if ya love something ya don`t mind working on it once in a while.
Everyone says the AMF Harleys were junk but i rude a 73 Shovel for 18 years with very little trouble and am now riding a 77 shovel.
My last bike was a 01 RoadGlide, put about 30,000 maintiance free miles on it other than oil and plugs, did have the cam chain tensioners replaced but they have fixed that issue on the 2006 and up bikes.
We had a 99 wing and had it triked using the coup style by Motortrike, we loved that thing and put a good 30,000 miles on that and did nothing but change oil and plugs.
I wouldn`t be a bit shy about buying a newer Harley as they are very well built and dependable.
If Harley didn`t think it had to be so cool and built a water cooled v-twin a long time ago they would of had something great imo.
Hope ya have good travels with what ever ya get.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

A very good friend of mine is a certified mechanic for Harley and a few others. He has been doing it for 20+ years now. Like another poster stated, hHarley's develope issues when you start working on them. He has stated many time that stock Harley's are very reliable. They become unreliable when folks start to add the stage 1,2,3 kits and try and over punch the motors.