Your choice of trigger pull weight?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Your choice of trigger pull weight?

Post by getitdone1 »

Wondering how some of you guys like your triggers. For years I've settled on 3 lbs as being light enough and yet not so light as to be unsafe in the field.

I know the rifle target shooters can have triggers on their guns with very light pulls. Some under a pound, I believe.

Did you do the trigger work yourself?

Don
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Your choice of trigger pull weight?

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well lets see !

For a bench rifle or groundhog rifle I want between 3/4 to 1 pound . For a bolt ation deer rifle , ML or slug gun I want 2 to 2 1/2 pounds . For the Ruger #1's I like them at 3 pounds or less . And lastly for a levergun I kinda take what I can get :!:

And yes I sometimes do my own triggers . But mainly on Remington bolt guns and my Savage slug guns and ML !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
kenken0269
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kenken0269 »

kinda exactly what 6pt said about the weights. I have a 17hmr marlin with about a 1 1/2 lb trigger and it is deadly. My deer rifle is a ruger international in 308 and I put a 2 1/2 lb trigger in it and I love it. I've also got a trigger in my xd 9mm. I have done all the work myself. My wife calls it my 'Arts and Crafts'.

kenken
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

kenken0269 wrote: My deer rifle is a ruger international in 308 and I put a 2 1/2 lb trigger in it and I love it.

I "had" a Ruger 77RSI (one of the old ones with the tang safety) and the factory trigger was not consistent and wouldn't go below 3 3/4 pounds at best .

RifleBasix makes a sear to fit this rifle so I got one !

But it only went from 1 1/2 to 2 pounds if my memory serves the heaviest I could get it was about 1 3/4 pounds . So needless to say I didn't use this one in extremely cold conditions :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am a trigger slut. If it works I can work with it. Clint Bryant had some light triggers on his Rugers we shot the other day and I let a couple go too soon but quickly settled in with them. Mostly, I shoot 'em as I get them. Two stage or not, set or not, if it is safe I can deal with it. HOWEVER, there was a derringer (a Cobra I think) in the shop and we had the dickens pulling that one. Not sure I could shoot that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

2.5# to 3.5# is my OK level. 2.5 to 3.0# preferred.

Sometimes I do 'em myself, sometimes I have 'em done. All depends.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have a Stevens 44-1/2, with a DST. Once set it has a 2 OUNCE let off. I've learned to rest my finger against the side and just put pressure to it.

All my rimfire match rifles average about 2.2 pounds.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
antilley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by antilley »

by the time i have enough money to get the triggers worked .... i will be too old to care :)

we shoot em how they come out of the box.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

A 1911 guy mentioned something in a way I'd never thought of the other day (I think I heard it on TV but don't remember).

A hand gun trigger should be just a tad under the weight of the gun. That way you cannot force enough in the press to upset the mass of the gun.

I always figured around 4 pounds was good on most single action handguns. Rifles... I sorta take what I get. Don't have a clue what the pull is on my levers. Never checked it on my M1 or 03's either.

So far I've only dumped one gun for a bad trigger.. a Stoeger O/U that we could not get the creep out of after a trip to service.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

My preference is 2.5 lbs on everything. CRISP is more important than the actual number, but close to 2.5 is the goal. Much under 2# gets unsettling with cold hands.
Certified gun nut
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I just had my marlin 338Me set to 2.5 pounds. Love it.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

For me it is not so much pull weight as it is feel. I can deal with a 10 pound trigger as long as it doesn't creep and breaks clean. Now if I can adjust it myself I like to get them down to between 2-3Lbs as long as they don't creep. I really dislike lots of take up or stacking in a trigger.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I don't care if the trigger is single or double stage, wide or narrow. As long as it is smooth and I can drop the firing pin without the front sight coming off target, I am OK with it.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I curse the day I ever started messin with triggers. All started when I bought a Ruger Security Six that had a trigger that had been worked over and soon touched up my Single Six. Next came some Volquartzen parts for the 10/22's and some trigger work on a 94AE. After that I bought a T/C Venture bolt gun and made the mistake of shooting it back to back with my old pre-accutrigger Savage 110. Let me tell you, I had never minded the trigger on the Savage, really I hadn't. It shot sub MOA and any critter I missed out to 250 or 300 yards was strictly my fault. But after shooting back to back with the T/C I had to have something else in the Savage. Broke out the the tools and now have the Savage light, no pretravel, no over travel and no creep. Then the trigger on the T/C felt like stuff!. When will it never end!!!

I have no idea where my trigger pulls are as I don't have a pull gauge. Specs on the 10/22 triggers is suppose to fall in the 2 -2 1/2 lbs range and all of my triggers are at that 10/22 range or lighter. In reality, I don't really care about the number as long as it's not excessive but I have a severe loathing for creep!

LK
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I don't know what poundage it is I prefir but I like them so I can feel my finger squish until the flesh is compacted enough to feel the trigger solidly...a tad more pressure after that then a clean break..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

I care more about how the trigger feels more than the weight of pull. A light but draggy pull is rotten. A trigger with a gritty and heavy pull is bad. I can get used to any trigger quickly that breaks cleanly. In a hunting rifle, I would wish for a 3.5-4 pound trigger that breaks crisply like snapping a thin glass rod. Nothing lighter, thanks.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like about 3 lbs but not stuck on it. One of my most accurate Rifles is a Ruger 77R in 7x57 with an 8.5 lb trigger pull. BLR, Model 88, 7.65x53 Military Mauser have all been very accurate with very different trigger pulls and of course a Dakota 76 was a dream.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I am amazed at those of you who say you can shoot well with 8.5# to 10# trigger pulls. I cannot. I develop the shakes trying to get a smooth let off while concentrating on the sights with anything much over 5#. I simply will not waste my time with any trigger over 5# no matter how crisp it is.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It really depends on what the gun is, and what I use it for. If it's a hunting rifle I like 3 lbs. for a single trigger, but if it's a set trigger rifle then once it's set it can be mere ounces.
If it's a target rifle with single trigger, then I want less than 8 ounces. If it's a revolver I want under 2 lbs. in single action mode.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This is gonna sound kinda nutso , but I'm going to set up one of my 444 Marlin's to shoot in Cast Bullet Association "Light Hunter" matches . This is pretty much a stock gun only allowing trigger and bedding jobs . And while I won't bed one of the 444's I wanna get the trigger down to atleast 3 pounds , but would prefer maybe 2 if I can get it !

Anyway it seems Wolffe makes a hammer spring to get you close to that mark . Anyone tried the Wolffe springs in their Marlin's ?

And if so how did it work out for you ?