Opinions on current production .30-30 lever actions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Opinions on current production .30-30 lever actions

Post by Jason_W »

I know from experience that the 336 is excellent, but I'm curious to find out if anyone has first hand experience with the .30-30s offered by Mossberg and Rossi.

I've been scraping together the proceeds of my freelance writing projects and I can almost afford to start rebuilding my armory after selling most of it during 10 months of unemployment. A 30-30 seems like a good place to re-start.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Opinions on current production .30-30 lever actions

Post by gak »

JMO, but I'd get an older 336 or pre-safety AE Win 94 if wanting to scope, or a '79-80ish (just pre USRAC) or Pre 64 Win 94 if not. Skip the new stuff. I've not been impressed at least with the early Mossberg examples I've seen--though I applaud the effort!

I love my Rossi 92s--great guns--but don't quite get the point of the .30-30s, what ith the fair abundance of nice used Marlins out there. But then again, a lot of folks--including myself--have wanted to see someone resurrect the (older) Win 94, so...
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JBledsoe »

Jason, I have to agree with Gak, A used Marlin or Winchester is better than a new any-thing-else. They are the standard by which everything else is judged. I have a number of Winchesters but I shoot Marlins.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Mossberg makes a lot of cheap stuff, and they have a lot of problems with them too.

One of the New Marlin maybe fine if you can tolerate the added crossbolt safety, but for 30/30's, my money would go to buy a Pre-64 Winchester. You can still find them at the bigger gunshows and even Gunbroker.com, why not own the best when it's really not that much more money.

And if you want a scoped gun, find an older steel framed Browning BLR in .308. They are really no heavier then a Marlin, and if you are going to scope it, might as well have the balistics of the .308 too.

That's my choice anyway, when I want an ironsighted great handling rifle, I grab one of my pre-64 winchesters, either a 94 or 71, or a Browning Replica of the 86, 92, or 95. If I want a scope, it's the Browning BLR in .308.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Is the crossbolt safety the only issue with the newer Marlins?

I've never known anything different, so it doesn't bother me too much.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Jason_W wrote:Is the crossbolt safety the only issue with the newer Marlins?
Now and again I've seen complaints on this forum about 'rough' actions on the new ones, but nothing a bit of use and/or work with some fine-grit paper won't fix easily.

I'm with you on the Marlin cross-bolt safety; I'm used to it, and unlike the Rossi one, at least it STAYS 'on' or 'off' where you put it, instead of randomly 'drifting' back and forth.

Other than the name/glamour/nostalgia factor, I've just never seen anything all that magical about Winchesters vs. Marlins. Both go bang pretty reliably, and the Marlin is easier to scope, easier to clean, easier to work on, and easier to put peep sights on - what's not to like...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I'm enamored with the 336 BL, but they seem a little harder to find. I guess an extra 1.5" of barrel probably won't make any real difference, though.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I do not own a Mossberg 464. But I've handled several at various stores and have fired one about 10 times at our gun club. Local shooters at our range are often very friendly about allowing a fellow member to handle and fire their rifles. In this case, I had my own 30-30 ammo on hand.

Impressions of Mossberg 464

- excellent balance

- wood to metal fit is OK but not as nice as current Marlin 336 or discont'd Winchester 94 Legacy

- safety is well made and smooth

- trigger is a little rough but not terrible

- open sights are OK but not as nice as current Marlin 336

- lever action is fine and functions without problems

- accuracy is quite good - I shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards with Bushnell 4X Sportsman scope in place

Would I buy a new Mossberg 464 if I wanted the look and balance of a model 94? Sure

Would I buy a new Mossberg 464 instead of a new Marlin 336? No.

Hope this is helpful.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Jason,

If you are within driving distance of Kittery Trading post you might want to check out their selection of used guns: http://www.ktpguns.com/
They have a full page of used 30-30s.

Jack
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

jhrosier wrote:Jason,

If you are within driving distance of Kittery Trading post you might want to check out their selection of used guns: http://www.ktpguns.com/
They have a full page of used 30-30s.

Jack

I love that place as it's a veritable candy store for outdoorsmen and gun folk. I'm not in easy driving distance, but my inlaws live not too far away and we visit them regularly.

They're used gun section is the best I've ever seen.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

From what I gather Henry makes a quality 30/30 very smooth action with quality USA workmanship. I owned a Henry 22 levergun, and it was topnotch.
http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-3030.cfm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_30-30.htm
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

What do the Henrys go for at the counter? The factory price is pretty high...750? With the brass one nearly a Grand...You can get a nice shooter Marlin or Winnie for 3-400, less if you can wait around. There was a .35 in our classified for 295, wasn't there?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I can't speak to the new Rossi's and Mossberg from experience but I have seldom heard a kind word about them. In fact I can't remember ever hearing a kind word about them. A gently used presafety Marlin 336 is hard to beat.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:From what I gather Henry makes a quality 30/30 very smooth action with quality USA workmanship. I owned a Henry 22 levergun, and it was topnotch.
http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-3030.cfm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_30-30.htm
Those do look nice
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

The Henrys are very nice. I love my brass and octagon 30/30. :D
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've seen a lot of the Henry 22's with problems, so I'd be a bit shy of trying their 30-30. I've always been a Marlin fan, but ordered a 336Y last week that the worst bluing I've ever seen on a Marlin. I sent the rifle back to Marlin, so I'm curous how they'll handle it.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'd love to hear more about the Henry .30-30 in steel, but you just don't see them out in the world much at all. Price perhaps? I dunno. One thing I do know about Henry is that they drive me nuts sort of the same way Ruger does: 90% great idea and execution ruined by 10% junk parts and stupid production choices. Especially given their price!

I've not seen the Rossi .30-30, but as with the Mossberg I applaud the effort but would have to ask why not just get a Marlin?

I also agree with many others here: Just get a good used one. I see 'em in the racks all the time here in Tucson and if you're willing to go with the excellent .32 Special chambering they're usually even cheaper.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

AJMD429 wrote:
Jason_W wrote:Is the crossbolt safety the only issue with the newer Marlins?
Now and again I've seen complaints on this forum about 'rough' actions on the new ones, but nothing a bit of use and/or work with some fine-grit paper won't fix easily.

I'm with you on the Marlin cross-bolt safety; I'm used to it, and unlike the Rossi one, at least it STAYS 'on' or 'off' where you put it, instead of randomly 'drifting' back and forth.

Other than the name/glamour/nostalgia factor, I've just never seen anything all that magical about Winchesters vs. Marlins. Both go bang pretty reliably, and the Marlin is easier to scope, easier to clean, easier to work on, and easier to put peep sights on - what's not to like...?
Sorry buddy but i can`t agree with part of that as far as a lot of the new Marlins go. I picked what i thought was the best one out of four guns when i bought mine and it was real rough and the barrel was not indexed right. I stopped by the same dealer the other day and he told me that two of the other one that were sold were brought back because they were so rough.
A person shouldn`t have to do anything to a new gun they just paid 600 bucks for except shoot it, not take it apart and do what the factory should of done in the first place.
I can only imagine how aggravating it must be to those that have no mechanical abilities to buy a gun that hardly works.
I hope Remington gets they`er act together before they ruin two good names.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Check out the following:

The Mossberg Win 94 lookalike Gun, Mossberg's Reincarnation of the 94, and Mossberg 464's. The Henry Repeating Arms .30-30 is still fairly rare. I've only recall posts by Beaker and Pete44ru about it. I personally, don't like the mag tube loading... limits the capacity by at least one cartridge. But, hey... that's just my prejudice...

I have fondled their other "Big Boy" offerings, and for what I do, (cowboy action shooting), they're not very good, they're not smooth, are prone to feeding issues... and that load one on the line for a bonus or if you happen to jack one out... is pretty much a lost cause.

EDITED to add: The "search" function works like a champ... I found the above 3 posts just by typing in the name of the rifle. There's been other topics on the Henry and Rossi .30-30s... I just didn't search those.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My opinion of the new, Winchester-reminiscent, Mossberg .30-30 is that I'd rather have an excellent condition used Winchester 94, either pre-64 or post-71 - but even a 1964-70 M94 would do.

Ditto the Marlin-reminiscent Rossi .30-30, the anchor-reminiscent Henry .30-30, and even a new ReMarlin .30-30 - I'd rather have an excellent condition, used 1970's Marlin 336. -

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

IMHO, a guy is better off today to take his money and go find a really nice condition rifle from back in the 1950-1960 era, there are plenty of them around and they are just SO much better than what comes out of the factories these days, they made REAL rifles with REAL barrels back then. A young feller buying something like that can depend on it lasting his lifetime and the lifetime of his son. Will cost him quite a bit less too.
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Henry is shipping a new version of their steel 30-30 this month. It's 7 lbs and comes equipped WITH XS ghost ring sights (an $80-$100 value), for around $570 street price ($769 MSRP). Know someone that has one on order at that price.

The new version also features a checkered stock and fore end. They went from a fore end band to a fore end cap also. The receiver is D&T'd for a scope if need be and uses the same spacing as a Marlin 336, so you can use marlin bases.

Here's a write up from an owner of the earlier steel 30-30.
http://www.henryfirearms.org/henrybb/vi ... p?f=11&t=9

BTW, they've also announced a 45/70 for later in the year.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

That Henry is looking very nice.

My Winchesters (2005) cough up parts pretty regularly, I just extracted a sheared-off screw that was holding the lifter spring in. I'm thinking of rigging up a bag that fits underneath to catch the parts that fall out of them. So far I've replaced an ejector, mainspring, fixed a jam, tweaked the mainspring tongue so it would actually fire, replace a sheared off cartridge block, and filed the cartridge stop so shells wouldn't slide over it. My monthly routine has been, take the Winchester to the silhouette match, fire five shots, pull out the stuck round, shake out the broken part, go home. Truthfully I'm afraid to load more than one at a time. Good shooters though.

My 336's are pretty close to perfect, but if they're no longer well made, well, I'd try a Henry.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo,

Sounds like you got one of the last 94s out of the factory. I'll bet they were scrounging all the factory seconds and out of spec parts just to throw 'em together and get 'em out the door.

Sad when that happens.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

El Chivo wrote:That Henry is looking very nice.

My Winchesters (2005) cough up parts pretty regularly, I just extracted a sheared-off screw that was holding the lifter spring in. I'm thinking of rigging up a bag that fits underneath to catch the parts that fall out of them. So far I've replaced an ejector, mainspring, fixed a jam, tweaked the mainspring tongue so it would actually fire, replace a sheared off cartridge block, and filed the cartridge stop so shells wouldn't slide over it. My monthly routine has been, take the Winchester to the silhouette match, fire five shots, pull out the stuck round, shake out the broken part, go home. Truthfully I'm afraid to load more than one at a time. Good shooters though.

My 336's are pretty close to perfect, but if they're no longer well made, well, I'd try a Henry.
Sounds like a AMF Harley :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I'm definitely going to head to Kittery when I'm ready. They have some used 336's there for half the cost of a new one.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I'd buy a used 30-30 winchester, pre64 too.....there are plenty of them around....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

quietman wrote: Image

I've heard this rumor to, and hope it's true, a quality American made walnut stocked 45/70 rifle especially one with just a good old fashioned halfcock and common sense for a safety sounds very appealing. I have absolutely no problem loading thru the tube instead of a loading gate in frame, if you can't get it done with 1 round of 45/70 never mind 6, you can't get it done. To me it looks pretty clean. :wink:
farmer44mag
Levergunner

Post by farmer44mag »

quietman wrote:Henry is shipping a new version of their steel 30-30 this month. It's 7 lbs and comes equipped WITH XS ghost ring sights (an $80-$100 value), for around $570 street price ($769 MSRP). Know someone that has one on order at that price.

The new version also features a checkered stock and fore end. They went from a fore end band to a fore end cap also. The receiver is D&T'd for a scope if need be and uses the same spacing as a Marlin 336, so you can use marlin bases.

Here's a write up from an owner of the earlier steel 30-30.
http://www.henryfirearms.org/henrybb/vi ... p?f=11&t=9

It's still on order Quietman- was supposed to ship end of febuary and i'm still waiting. Every time i send an email they say "in a couple weeks". The last one i sent i never got a reply- makes me think troubles at the factory.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Find a decent older used marlin.want to pull the bolt out? takes about 90 seconds the first time. clean it, oil it. want to mount a reciver sight? NO PROBLEM.... want to mount a scope?...NO PROBLEM... even the bargian basment Glenfield model 30 (half Magazine) or the 30A from the 60's and 70's are heads and tails above most of the junk made today. shoot the Marlin and be Happy.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I vote for trying to find a good used gun.

Pre-64's were always revered and relatively expensive compared to more modern production. Then when Winchester stopped making 94's, the new ones all got to be more expensive but the older ones didn't seem to go up much. So the pre-64's became relatively good deals. I don't know if this relative pricing has held.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My latest .30-30 is like this one.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/336.asp
The 336 XLR is a sweet shooting rifle in .30-30 .
I have worked up several loads that will keep all shots in under
1 1/4" at 100 yd using the Leupold 2-7x scope and a couple loads will keep all shots at just under 1" at that range.

My .338 MXLR is almost that accurate in my hands and will probably do as well with a better driver behind the butt.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I sold all my pre-64 Winchester Modle 94s about 6-months ago (1 1952; 1 1953; 2 1955) and kept my post-64 Modle 94 angle eject/tang safety rifle manufactured around 2003/2004. It's danged accurate and serves my purposes nicely. I also kept one 1:39 twist Marlin .444S from the 1970s.

The new .30-30s by Henry and Mossberg are pretty nice guns. Mossberg has solved the problems with the extractor/ejector they were experiencing when the 464 first came out. The Henry .30-30 is pretty muzzle heavy. I've shot a range-mate's at the range a few times.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Modoc ED wrote:The new .30-30s by Henry and Marlin are pretty nice guns. Marlin has solved the problems with the extractor/ejector they were experiencing when the 464 first came out. The Henry .30-30 is pretty muzzle heavy. I've shot a range-mate's at the range a few times.
Yoy meant MOSSBERG, right?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I wrote Henry Firearms and inquired about rumors of a 45/70 rifle in the works, and this was the reply I received the very next morning:

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic interest in Henry Repeating Arms. Yes we plan on introducing a 45-70 at some point soon and it will be a steel variation. We will keep you posted.

Sincerely,
Anthony Imperato
President

Henry Repeating Arms
59 East 1st Street
Bayonne, NJ 07002

Tel. (201) 858-4400
Fax (201) 858-4435

Email Anthony@henryrepeating.com
Web www.henryrepeating.com

"HENRY RIFLES WILL BE MADE IN AMERICA, OR THEY WON'T BE MADE AT ALL"

I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to this new 45/70 rifle. :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

J Miller wrote:El Chivo,

Sounds like you got one of the last 94s out of the factory. I'll bet they were scrounging all the factory seconds and out of spec parts just to throw 'em together and get 'em out the door.

Sad when that happens.

Joe
They were both 2005, one was purchased in Jan 2006. I don't think they were factory seconds or out of spec, the parts are all designed cheaply, many stamped out of sheet metal, like all the A/E's. The .357 cartridge block could almost be made out of an aluminum pie pan. And what is the composition of a screw that breaks right off at the head? That shouldn't happen.

Like I said, though, good shooters and the barrels take anything. Plus they look cool.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I bought one of the mossberg's
41050 Brand Mossberg
Type Rifle
Model Model 464 Brush Gun Davidson's Exclusive
Caliber 30-30
Finish Marinecote Stainless Steel
# Avail 0
Video

Shoots great groups under an inch at 50 yards with remington green box and federal blue box. better fit and finish than a Marlington and the price was half of an XLR.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Griff wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:The new .30-30s by Henry and Marlin are pretty nice guns. Marlin has solved the problems with the extractor/ejector they were experiencing when the 464 first came out. The Henry .30-30 is pretty muzzle heavy. I've shot a range-mate's at the range a few times.
Yoy meant MOSSBERG, right?
Yes Griff, I meant Mossberg. Another extrordinary brain-fanny burp/lapse by a senior citizen. Thanks for catching it. I've edited my post.

Jeez!!! Sometimes, I've just got to shake my head at myself. :)
ED
Yer never too old
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The pre-safety Winchesters Bigbores and Brown-chesters are high Quality, close to, if not better, maybe except for trigger pull than the pre- 64 winchesters. Another vote for the pre-81 all steel BLR in .308, if you want a lever with a scope.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

buckeyeshooter wrote:I bought one of the Mossberg's Model Model 464 Brush Gun Davidson's Exclusive
Caliber 30-30
Finish Marinecote Stainless Steel

Shoots great groups under an inch at 50 yards with remington green box and federal blue box. better fit and finish than a Marlington and the price was half of an XLR.
Good to hear! I've been pulling for this gun. If they make one in .44 or some other caliber that I'm interested in I'll probably get one.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Sorry to necro the thread.

I handled one of the Rossi Rio Grands in a local shop today. The fit an finish is absolutely atrocious, and I', by no means a stickler for fit and finish :o

I liked the feel of the Mossberg, but if the inner workings are an issue I'm disinclined to take a risk.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've handled the .30-30 Henry.

Nicely put together from what I remember, but overly heavy for a .30 caliber rifle.

As I used to carry a 12lb M4/M203 and a 22lb M249 regularly, I mean heavy when I say heavy. No .30-30 should end up weighing as much (as it felt in the hand) as a Garand.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MrMurphy wrote:I've handled the .30-30 Henry. Nicely put together from what I remember, but overly heavy for a .30 caliber rifle.
With all the after-market "belt-sander vs. 1911" type clones, I'm surprised there's not a cottage-industry of folks taking the smooth and reliable Henry action and getting the weight and 'boxiness' off with sanding and buffing. Nice to use an AMERICAN-MADE product when possible...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "